406 ELT

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
460 ELT

How many of you have upgraded to the 460 ELT? Word to the wise: I just ordered the package from Aircraft Spruce @ $588 w/remote. Note that I said "ordered." They had 10 units come in which went to those on the list. They have 400 on order which may arrive 10 or 15 per shipment. The sales rep. said they're not anticipating my ship date but that it will probably be 2 or three months, "and we're not the only supplier who has them on order from the manufacturer(ACK)."

HR

Last edited:
We recently got a pair of 406 PLBs for the Aztec and 310. We don't have 406 ELTs in either. I think the PLB is a good solution as a stopgap until the 406 ELTs become more prevalent. Additionally, if you're over water, the PLB has the added advantage of staying with you and not sinking to the bottom of the ocean (unless you sink to the bottom of the ocean...).

My bird is in for Annual, for which the only observed concern was that "You have to pound the ELT to get it to respond. Rather than replace same, best to get the 406 now. If not readily available we'll mark the LOGS '406 On-order' and that'll keep you legal in the interim."

HR

I ordered my ACK E-04 some time ago from Sarasota Avionics and I've been led to believe that it will show up some time this week. ACK says they're shipping a few hundred per week right now but there are lots of back orders to fill.

My bird is in for Annual, for which the only observed concern was that "You have to pound the ELT to get it to respond. Rather than replace same, best to get the 406 now. If not readily available we'll mark the LOGS '406 On-order' and that'll keep you legal in the interim."

That has been similar to my overall philosophy. If the ELT goes out in either plane, I will replace it at that time. Until then, I'll probably stick with the PLBs.

We just installed a 406 ELT in our Dakota while it was opened up for annual. Honestly, I'm not sure where we purchased it.

I upgraded my 121.5 ELT to a 406 ELT a couple of years ago for about $1200. I should have waited for prices to drop.

I've got the Artex ME-406 units in the Malibu and the 172. It does require running a new harness from the unit to the panel. It was easy to run the wires through the pressure vessel plugs, removing the interior panels were the most work.

Kevin

Back