406 ELT aggravation...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Last fall, at annual, I elected to have a 406 ELT installed to replace my old 121.5 unit (the 121.5 ELT had given up the ghost and since I needed a new one anyway, I went 406.) Went with a cost-effective model from AmeriKing.

Mistake.

Plane is currently in the avionics shop for some upgrades & repairs. Got a call from the shop - they were hearing a "buzzing" that appeared to be coming from the ELT. ELT was NOT transmitting, just buzzing. Disconnecting the remote control resulted in no change. Tested the ELT and it still transmitted fine, and shut off fine, but the audible buzzing persisted (presumably draining the batteries).

Shop tried to call AmeriKing - bad phone number (disconnected message). Reported to me that they'd had previous problems with AmeriKing & only got success dealing with the distributor (who usually replaced the unit).

So, apparently the 6-month-old unit needs replacement (or repair). Replacing it will require a trip to the government registration site to delete the old, and add the new. And if a loaner is used, there will be an additional trip through registration. What a pain in the neck that's become.

At this point, my recommendation would be to avoid AmeriKing. It may end up costing you more than the difference in price with a better brand in aggravation & repairs down the road. Worse, if this kind of defect is rampant, you may end up with a dead battery when you need the device the most.

FYI, I just had a problem with my ACK E-04 ELT (406MHz). Though it has quietly been installed for over 2 years and 450 hours, it went off while parked at KPIT last week.

Note: A Captain of something called my emergency contact number with news that my ELT was sounding off. The emergency contact number is my wife's cell. This suggests thinking thru carefully who and what number is listed and how they are briefed. The 406 notification process works.

Called the factory and was immediately asked whether it was raining. Well yes it was - in fact it was a driving cold rain and one of my doors was unlatched. The tech mentioned problems with units going off when the audio unit gets wet!

This is not the RCPI (remote controller) or the main unit, but rather a small box that is daisy chained between the RCPI and main unit, and that contains a battery and a buzzer. Mine was installed under the panel in a dry spot but it sounds like something flakey can allow moisture to get in (perhaps thru the speaker grid?) and set the unit off.

The solution is to "put a condom on it". Otherwise, seal the unit up inside some rubber or something.

Hope that does it. But it's costing me $100+ to replace the batteries.

The solution is to "put a condom on it". Otherwise, seal the unit up inside some rubber or something.
I would think the reason the unit goes off when wet is not a design flaw but rather to go off if you ditch. If that's not just wishful thinking on my part, taking steps to ensure it can never get wet might be counter productive.

FYI, I just had a problem with my ACK E-04 ELT (406MHz). Though it has quietly been installed for over 2 years and 450 hours, it went off while parked at KPIT last week.

Note: A Captain of something called my emergency contact number with news that my ELT was sounding off. The emergency contact number is my wife's cell. This suggests thinking thru carefully who and what number is listed and how they are briefed. The 406 notification process works.

Called the factory and was immediately asked whether it was raining. Well yes it was - in fact it was a driving cold rain and one of my doors was unlatched. The tech mentioned problems with units going off when the audio unit gets wet!

This is not the RCPI (remote controller) or the main unit, but rather a small box that is daisy chained between the RCPI and main unit, and that contains a battery and a buzzer. Mine was installed under the panel in a dry spot but it sounds like something flakey can allow moisture to get in (perhaps thru the speaker grid?) and set the unit off.

Hope that does it. But it's costing me $100+ to replace the batteries.

That certification process sure works great. Most older ELTs have a nifty rubber o-ring and cases that seal up. Guess that wasn't in the spec anymore.

That certification process sure works great. Most older ELTs have a nifty rubber o-ring and cases that seal up. Guess that wasn't in the spec anymore.

I would think the reason the unit goes off when wet is not a design flaw but rather to go off if you ditch. If that's not just wishful thinking on my part, taking steps to ensure it can never get wet might be counter productive.

I would stress that the unit that supposedly causes the problem is just a 'speaker'. It's not supposed to have any sensors or functions other than providing an audio signal to the cabin occupants. The main unit with the G-sensors and such appears to be well sealed and strudy (and very light wt due to the Lixx batteries). IOTW, it' would be a design flaw if it is in fact, the problem.

FWIW, I've had an AmeriKing 406 since 2009, without a single problem. A buddy installed one at the same time, and it has worked perfectly as well. Going to the website for a couple of minutes is no big deal, and has to be done every two years anyhow.

I think we should have LOTS more Government regulations.:rolleyes2:

I would stress that the unit that supposedly causes the problem is just a 'speaker'. It's not supposed to have any sensors or functions other than providing an audio signal to the cabin occupants. The main unit with the G-sensors and such appears to be well sealed and strudy (and very light wt due to the Lixx batteries). IOTW, it' would be a design flaw if it is in fact, the problem.
I suspect the problem you encountered is the result of AK's attempt to make the installation simple. The wiring for the remote control panel is daisy chained through the "speaker" and unless they sealed that component and/or had the internal electronics conformal coated it would be all too easy for moisture induced corrosion to cause a problem.

I suspect the problem you encountered is the result of AK's attempt to make the installation simple. The wiring for the remote control panel is daisy chained through the "speaker" and unless they sealed that component and/or had the internal electronics conformal coated it would be all too easy for moisture induced corrosion to cause a problem.
I think Ameriking and ACK are two different companies with different products. However, they both moved along the same path, i.e. developing a plug compatible 406 product to facilitate upgrade from their older 121.5 product. Both products look very similar and your observation is probably on target.

I have some sympathy for the manufacturers of this particular product. The ACK product was a year+ late to market due to regulatory problems. As I recall, the biggest challenge was getting the product approved for all geographies. Different certification requirements and all.

I think Ameriking and ACK are two different companies with different products. However, they both moved along the same path, i.e. developing a plug compatible 406 product to facilitate upgrade from their older 121.5 product. Both products look very similar and your observation is probably on target.
You're right, my bad. I was referring to the ACK-04 which is made by Ack Technologies. I installed one in my Baron a few years ago and it's working fine AFaIK. Then again, I don't usually have water under my glareshield where the external components are located.

There really is a company called "Ack Technologies?" What's the installer's name, "Thptpth?" Does he seal it with hairballs?

There really is a company called "Ack Technologies?" What's the installer's name, "Thptpth?" Does he seal it with hairballs?

"With a name like 'Smuckers,' it HAS to be good!"

And then there's Stall Motors, I mean, Stahl Motors, in Monterey. :rofl:

ACK and AmeriKing appear to have similar units but they are different companies. I can confirm that AmeriKing customer support is horrendous. I've got one of their 121.5 units but I doubt I'd go to them again.

Loved that strip. Breathed seriously burnt out at the end though.

Back