400 hours.. But no PPL

U

Unregistered

Hi guys,

I need advice on this one....I am flying on and off since 1992. I bought my own plane and I have about 400 hours of PIC. The only problem is that I dont have a license! I passed the written test two times but both expired after two years. Now I have an instructor that is preparing me for the checkride.

My question is.... How do I log the almost 400 hours that I have flown? I have no idea if I can legally log all those hours.... Please let me know if I have any options.....

Thanks!

Unless you were solo (and properly signed off for each and every flight), you didn't log 400 PIC. You may have logged 400 Total, some Flight Training recieved, and some Solo/PIC.. But that is all you logged..

Or you did something not legal, and it would probably be best to not use that logbook.

So have you been flying around passengers without an instructor, or flying solo without the endorsements?

Unless you were solo (and properly signed off for each and every flight), you didn't log 400 PIC. You may have logged 400 Total, some Flight Training recieved, and some Solo/PIC.. But that is all you logged..

Or you did something not legal, and it would probably be best to not use that logbook.

So have you been flying around passengers without an instructor, or flying solo without the endorsements?

Between flight training and properly endorsed solo flights I have about 60 something hours... The rest of them are without an endorsement and a lot of them carrying passengers..

Between flight training and properly endorsed solo flights I have about 60 something hours... The rest of them are without an endorsement and a lot of them carrying passengers..

Sounds like you need a lawyer if you actually logged all the hours or a cheaper easier route might be to ditch the log book, go to another CFI and play dumb. :D

I don't know how it works in Alaska, but I don't know why you would pack that logbook into a checkride? I also don't know what it would gain you (you only need 40 of the proper type)...

I also don't know why you didn't do the checkride 350 hrs ago...

Well, then. I hear that's normal, up by you! :lol:

Seriously, 400 hours without taking the checkride? Why?

After having lived in AK for a while, some folks just don't take the time to ask the gummint if they can go pickup their groceries. What you can walk to in TX, takes an airplane to get to in AK. Not sayin' it's right, I'm just sayin'. My roommate had a particular reason that I won't go into here to go "naked" with his flying, nothing but bureaucracy for bureaucracies' sake and he just didn't suffer fools gladly.

I don't know how it works in Alaska, but I don't know why you would pack that logbook into a checkride? I also don't know what it would gain you (you only need 40 of the proper type)...

I also don't know why you didn't do the checkride 350 hrs ago...

First of all.... Finding a CFI is almost imposible in some places here. Then finding a decent plane to rent is another dificult and very expensive task. If I want to get a flying lesson I have to FLY almost an hour to get to the nearest FBO with a CFI..... Guys... Trust me.... Alaska is another planet...

First of all.... Finding a CFI is almost imposible in some places here. Then finding a decent plane to rent is another dificult and very expensive task. If I want to get a flying lesson I have to FLY almost an hour to get to the nearest FBO with a CFI..... Guys... Trust me.... Alaska is another planet...

Soo.. If it isn't logged, Don't log it...

If it is logged, get a proper log book

Soo.. If it isn't logged, Don't log it...

If it is logged, get a proper log book

I have two logbooks, one legal and the real one. My question is that after passing my checkride.. Can I legally log those hours? I want to get my IFR rating also. BTW, I file IFR and fly approaches to minimuns......

Pragmatically speaking you shouldn't log any of the hours not endorsed by a CFI. If you already have unendorsed hours in the same physical book as the endorsed hours, you've got a difficult to hide collection of evidence of violations of the regulations (read through 61.3 and 61.89 for specifics.)

I have two logbooks, one legal and the real one. My question is that after passing my checkride.. Can I legally log those hours? I want to get my IFR rating also. BTW, I file IFR and fly approaches to minimuns......

I wouldn't log them ever.

Either
A.. You will have to lie about the date in the logbook (they will just yank all your certs)
B.. Your DPE will see 400 hours logged without proper endorsements before you got your certificate.

If you go onto commercial and CFI, then it may get worse...

What is your benefit to logging it? Shirley, you will get 50 yours XC after your cert, but before you IFR? If not, just structure your IFR training so taht you do...

You currently file and fly IFR to minimums, in Alaska, and don't have any IFR training or even a PPL? :yikes:

Good luck, find a lawyer

Does every solo flight need to be endorsed by a CFI to be legal? Can I have a solo endorsement for 90 day without needing to endorse every flight?

Does every solo flight need to be endorsed by a CFI to be legal? Can I have a solo endorsement for 90 day without needing to endorse every flight?

Sure, as long as you were within the terms of that solo flight...

Every Student XC flight needs an endorsement though, to that specific airport... Which I suspect you will have an issue with.

You were in violation of the regs when you flew those hours and nothing you do can undue that. At this point you would simply be making a confession of unlawful activity by making them available for viewing by others.

You currently file and fly IFR to minimums, in Alaska, and don't have any IFR training or even a PPL? :yikes:

Good luck, find a lawyer

About half of the pilots that I know here in Alaska are flying without a license... And I am not kidding...

About half of the pilots that I know here in Alaska are flying without a license... And I am not kidding...

Understood, but now you are asking what to do to become "legal"... If you don't want to become legal, than why post the question?

It really doesn't matter what others do, unless you are saying that the DPE and FSDO are going to look the other way? Of course, later ones may not...

Understood, but now you are asking what to do to become "legal"... If you don't want to become legal, than why post the question?

It really doesn't matter what others do, unless you are saying that the DPE and FSDO are going to look the other way? Of course, later ones may not...

I want to "legalize" my status as a pilot.... That is why I am trying to clean up the garbage before I move forward..... BTW.....The DPE's here... They know this type of things happens...

I want to "legalize" my status as a pilot.... That is why I am trying to clean up the garbage before I move forward..... BTW.....The DPE's here... They know this type of things happens...

So just lose the logbook and move on?

I once heard that the FAA had a goal to get at least half the pilots in Alaska licensed.

And your point is? You want the blessing of the FAA then you have to play by the FAA rules. No further discussion, explanation, justification or excuses permitted.

Do not under any circumstance use any of those hours in the furtherance of a rating. However, use all of the experience you have to make the most of the 40 hrs you have to spend and demonstrate all the PP PTS stuff to your CFII as well instructor (most/many are) in the first few hours of cross countries you'll have to do to get then start right into your instrument training. You're still gonna have to fly all the hours but you might as well use best as you can if you already have 400 hrs and you're still around.

Is it true that half of the pilots in Alaska are flying without a license? I suppose it's possible. Because flying is so important to just every day living in AK that the gov would look the other way.

After watching some of the Alaska flying shows and then hearing that pilots are flying 3 hours to just get their medical renewed and taking the plane all the way to Anchorage for the aircraft annual. I can believe the OP.

Is it true that half of the pilots in Alaska are flying without a license? I suppose it's possible. Because flying is so important to just every day living in AK that the gov would look the other way.

After watching some of the Alaska flying shows and then hearing that pilots are flying 3 hours to just get their medical renewed and taking the plane all the way to Anchorage for the aircraft annual. I can believe the OP.

Guys, sometimes if you want to go the supermarket the only way to do it is by plane...

No you can't. If you have a legal logbook (all the flights in it are legal), that is the only one you can use towards any ratings from here on in. The other hours can never be in your legal logbook because they're (get this) not legal! Ditch the other logbook, or keep it under lock and key and never let the FAA know it exists.

Get your PPL and "go forth and sin no more".

Now the part about flying approaches to mins without any IFR training... that pretty well confirms that you're trolling and we're all wasting our time answering. But just in case you're for real...

No you can't. If you have a legal logbook (all the flights in it are legal), that is the only one you can use towards any ratings from here on in. The other hours can never be in your legal logbook because they're (get this) not legal! Ditch the other logbook, or keep it under lock and key and never let the FAA know it exists.

Now the part about flying approaches to mins without any IFR training... that pretty well confirms that you're trolling and we're all wasting our time answering. But just in case you're for real...

Depends what's in his panel. With SVT you handle the plane under eVMC conditions, so control of the plane is same as when you fly VFR.

Trust me.... Not a troll... If you dont believe me.... Do some research on Alaska airmen and you will see.... In terms of aproaches.... Those Garmins 796 do wonders on your flying....

And just to let you, I am IFR trained... The issue is that I am not certified... Two different things...

Also, the size of the state and the low population density probably mean that the FAA simply doesn't have the resources to enforce the license requirement. I'm guessing that the chances of being ramp-checked in areas where you have to fly to the supermarket are pretty low.

Lol, there are a lot of unlicensed pilots in the Gulf States as well. :rofl: doesn't mean that havent received all the training, they just have no use for government and are 'doers' rather than complainers and understand they will not be caught without an accident so they just don't do stupid stuff.

OP, your question has been answered several times. Use your "legal" logbook. For your purposes, your "real" logbook doesn't exist. You have an out. Take it.

Following Henning's advice. There is never anything good that comes from volunteering information about illegal activities to the government when there is essentially zero chance of them finding out if you don't tell them.

Not that I condone what you've said you've done, but since I don't live where you do, I have a hard time condemning it either.

What happens in Alaska stays in Alaska...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back