40 hours and the "geographical" area..

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
Hey guys-

With regard to the "40 hour fly off" of an experimental aircraft, does anyone know what is needed to change the "geographical area" on the paperwork?

Can the owner of the aircraft file for an amendment of this area?

Friend of mine just bought an experimental with ~3 hours on it in Texas, brought it to Alabama and has asked me to fly the remaining 37 hours off of it.

And in a strange turn of events, looks like I might have a "free" airplane if I am willing to "just fly the thing." It too, doesn't have 40 hours flown off of it, and would need to be relocated, could I get a waiver from the FAA to fly this aircraft to a "new" geographical area" for the remainder of the 40 hours?

So... In summary:

1.) Can I get an amendment to the area listed
B.) Can I fly the aircraft to a new "geographical" area?

Thanks

Hey guys-

With regard to the "40 hour fly off" of an experimental aircraft, does anyone know what is needed to change the "geographical area" on the paperwork?

Can the owner of the aircraft file for an amendment of this area?

Friend of mine just bought an experimental with ~3 hours on it in Texas, brought it to Alabama and has asked me to fly the remaining 37 hours off of it.

And in a strange turn of events, looks like I might have a "free" airplane if I am willing to "just fly the thing." It too, doesn't have 40 hours flown off of it, and would need to be relocated, could I get a waiver from the FAA to fly this aircraft to a "new" geographical area" for the remainder of the 40 hours?

So... In summary:

1.) Can I get an amendment to the area listed
B.) Can I fly the aircraft to a new "geographical" area?

Thanks

In my experience your local FSDO can modify your paperwork to change the phase one test area.
The phase one testing is supposed to be where you test the aircraft develop your V speeds and carry out flight stability testing. It is when I wrote my POH.
It is a particularly hazardous time in the life of an experimental aircraft.
At the end of phase one you need to be able to state:
(1) The aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all the maneuvers to be executed; and
(2) The aircraft has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features.
I could not get all my testing done in 40 hours.
I feel it is a mistake to think of it as a fly off.

I feel it is a mistake to think of it as a fly off.

That's why I put it in quotes. It's obviously not a hard and fast "ok, 40 hours is up, it's done.."

I agree with you completely.

Back