4 dead in Sedona crash - starts a wildfire

Yes this is sad, but two in one day is sad in another way. This just makes me feel all sorts of anger, frustration, sadness, and angst towards these pilots. I know things sometimes happen beyond our control, but if this proves to be pilot error (and not just NTSB "pilot error") due to a lack of experience, lack of planning, or lack of judgment then they made a fatal and sad error that cost the lives of others.

I have a few years of previous flying experience in this area, and July in Northern AZ is a high and hot situation becoming a formula for potential disaster for the inexperienced and experienced alike. Both of these look very much like CFITin VFR conditions, which makes it really sad.

I wonder if AOPA ASI would be willing to make a mountain flying CBT to help in these situations. I honestly believe a lot of help could be found in this department!

I don't fly in these areas in the summer. I lack in Experience in Dealing with Density Altitude and mountain flying. Its sad on all counts and very sad for the young teens losing their life at such an early age.

I fly to (and hike in) Sedona a lot. The area is not conducive to off-airport landings. High DA (especially in Summer), up- and down-drafts, and the relative scarcity of runways means you had better be on your A game...

Steve

Back