4 Basics

I know I'm late to the discussion, but IIRC, mass increases with velocity in quantum physics. IMO, the plane would actually weigh more as its speed increases. :lol:

Are you assuming an Easterly or Westerly route? Would that make a difference in your opinion?

I know I'm late to the discussion, but IIRC, mass increases with velocity in quantum physics. IMO, the plane would actually weigh more as its speed increases. :lol:

"Relativistic mass" has been a discredited concept for more than 80 years. It was one way of understanding special Relativity without tossing standard Newton laws out. It does not generalize to curved space-time, and general Relativity just changes the form of Newton's laws. Momentum isn't just m*v anymore. It's m*v/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). "Rest" mass curves space, not "Relativistic" mass. In GR, curved space is the expression of gravity. So, no the airplane does not weigh more unless it's accreting a whole lot of bugs or ice.

Quantum physics doesn't change mass. Mass is one of the fundamental parameters along with charge and spin.

Pretty sure it's not.

It's a dynamical force. It's quite real. It's called "fictitious" because it's not present in an inertial reference frame. But, in an accelerated (e.g., rotating) frame, it's definitely there. A pilot in an airplane is often in an accelerated frame.

We used to demonstrate the Coriolis force on a merry-go-round. If you've never tried this, you'll understand it in 10 seconds, so I'd encourage you to give it a go. Get a buddy, spin a merry-go-round (hoping you can still find one…) and play catch on it. Throwing across the center, especially with a fairly heavy object like a large bean bag, will make the Coriolis force really obvious. And watching someone else do it, will make it equally obvious what's "really" going on.

"Relativistic mass" has been a discredited concept for more than 80 years. It was one way of understanding special Relativity without tossing standard Newton laws out. It does not generalize to curved space-time, and general Relativity just changes the form of Newton's laws. Momentum isn't just m*v anymore. It's m*v/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). "Rest" mass curves space, not "Relativistic" mass. In GR, curved space is the expression of gravity. So, no the airplane does not weigh more unless it's accreting a whole lot of bugs or ice.

Quantum physics doesn't change mass. Mass is one of the fundamental parameters along with charge and spin.

I dunno. Wikipedia has an entry for it, so it has to be true. :D

Pretty sure it's not.

Coriolis effect computers have been around for many decades in order to correct the aiming point for large naval guns and ballistic missiles for the effect MAKG describes.

Let's say you take off in your airplane, aim it toward some airport 50 NM to the North, and lock your autopilot on heading mode. If there is no wind, and you aim perfectly, you will miss your runway. It will be to your right.

But you aren't going to lock your autopilot on heading mode, you will put it in Nav mode and let it track the magenta line. Your autopilot is going to have to make small, constant turning corrections to stay on the line. So will you if you hand fly the plane straight to the airport. You just won't notice it because the corrections you make for wind and directional error will be much greater.

Back