3rd Class renewal

U

Unsure

My Special Issuance will become "Not valid after (date)" in a few months

This is be my first one, and I'm confused as to
when I should begin the renewal process?

Somewhere, I've read 90 days prior, and people have told me
that the day before, is sufficient.
I really don't want any lapse to occur.

Also in the previous 6 years, after a CABGx3, I have had no medical incidents, or doctor visits, except for regular checkups. I still remain on my original medications, and have not experienced any flight related distress, and I do heavy physical labor (construction related) on a daily basis.

I would like to procure a 2nd class medical "S.I.", to move up, to a "Commercial" rating, and a somewhat easier day at work.

Is it difficult to change, and will I have to resend all the medical info that was already sent to the FAA, as in a new application?? Or, is what's on record, sufficient for the upgrade?

TIA.

When you got your special issuance, it came with a letter. You need to fish out that letter and read it. It will tell you what you need to do to renew your medical. Usually it involves getting some tests done and a letter from your treating physician. If it has only been a year since the last medical then you shouldn't need an AME medical. You need to round up everything that the letter asks for and send it to the address specified in the letter. Try to get it all in about 90 days before the medical expires. If there are no changes in your status then you should get a new medical in the mail. If it has been two years since your last AME exam then you will get a letter that says if your AME exam is otherwise OK, your AME can issue a medical. Bring that letter with you to your AME exam to show that everything has been approved.

If your special issue is for cardiac disease it is a bit harder to get a second class medical. Some additional testing is required and the tolerances are tighter. If all you want to do is get a Commercial Rating but not be a Commercial pilot, you can do that with a third class medical.

Barb(AME)

Thank You, Barb,

I fished out the letter, and read it.

It states that I can have an AME reissue my 3rd class medical certificate, if I present :

1) a current status report, include all required follow-up items as listed in the authorization letter, my performance since last follow up report, and it must contain an estimation of my exercise program and capacity. It must address risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease, and any changes in medication or dosage since last exam.

2) A current Bruce Protocol stress test.

3) There is also a list of adverse medical symptoms/conditions, which I have not experienced, a further inclusion of some symptoms, that might happen during the Bruce test. I know I'll have no problem with the stress test, for as I said, I do heavy physical labor daily.

For the 2nd class cert., I want to be able to flight instruct unlicensed students, in the air,
(and not have to physically exert myself, as much as I now do).

So that, as I understand it, requires me to be a commercial pilot, to get the CFI rating. FAR 61.183 (3).

Unregistered said:
For the 2nd class cert., I want to be able to flight instruct unlicensed students, in the air,
(and not have to physically exert myself, as much as I now do).

You don't need a 2nd class for that you can do it with a 3rd class.

According to FAR 61.23, a third class medical will suffice if you are exercising the privileges of your flight instructor certificate while acting as pilot in command (PIC) or as a required flight crewmember. In other words, you can do the same type of flight instruction with a third class medical that you could with a second class medical.
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2006/061030cfi.html

What Scott said:
smigaldi said:
You don't need a 2nd class for that you can do it with a 3rd class.
You can instruct with a Third Class Medical and you don't need a Second Class to do the Commercial training and get the license.

Also when you are doing the Stress Test, go until you reach 100 percent of your target heart rate. A lot of Cardiologists let you quit at around 80 percent but the FAA wants 100 percent effort. If they ask you if you want to quit, ask if you have reached 100 percent before you say: yes!

Start early on getting the required stuff because some Docs are not real quick at writing letters and it is nice to be able to review it to make sure they don't write things in an "unflattering" way.

Barb

One Short said:
What Scott said:

You can instruct with a Third Class Medical and you don't need a Second Class to do the Commercial training and get the license.

Also when you are doing the Stress Test, go until you reach 100 percent of your target heart rate. A lot of Cardiologists let you quit at around 80 percent but the FAA wants 100 percent effort. If they ask you if you want to quit, ask if you have reached 100 percent before you say: yes!

Start early on getting the required stuff because some Docs are not real quick at writing letters and it is nice to be able to review it to make sure they don't write things in an "unflattering" way.

Barb
FAA will accept 85% max HR but NOT 84%. Get off of all "-olols" for two days prior to the run.

Bruce;
Did that the first time ( No "-olols" for 48 prior) under your advice... exceeded 100%, by 26/bpm.
Pi$$ed off my Cardiologist... too!
He admonished, not to stop the "-olols".

I felt no adverse effects, and performed well, to boot.

There was a time a few years ago, when coming by mail, the meds arrived a week late.
I was sans "-olols" , "-iprils", and "statins" and for the entire time.. Made me wonder, why I'm taking them.
I faithfully monitored my vitals, and recorded no changes from the days I had taken them.
To top it off, all I've ever had, prior to surgery, in the way of BP, was 120/ 72-80. ........It has never changed...

Barb;
Wonderful News!!! I'll be keeping my 3rd then....and not "upgrading".

Will definitely attempt to exceed 100% again. I feel very good, both physically and mentally.

Scott;
I must have read 61.23 a hundred times prior to today... And Missed it altogether! I get glassy eyed, when I see all that legal mumbo-jumbo!
Guess that's as good a reason as any, for never becoming a lawyer......:)

All;
Thanks again! You "Guy's and Dolls", are the greatest! ...
(even if not on Broadway!!!)

Unsure said:
Will definitely attempt to exceed 100% again.
NO! 100% and STOP! You don't need to show off for anybody; all you could accomplish by going over is BUST!

gprellwitz said:
NO! 100% and STOP! You don't need to show off for anybody; all you could accomplish by going over is BUST!
Unsure: Grant is correct. When you get to 100%, just stop. By exceeding 100% you might make some ischemia apparent; then what......!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back