3rd Class Medical Reform in effect?

ainokea

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ainokea
I never really looked into this subject but is the 3rd class medical reform in effect? I did my 3rd class medical 5 years ago and it expires next month (Dec 2016). I'm not sure if I need to see an AME again. Your help is greatly appreciated.

You will need to renew your medical this time. If you are still under 40 that will be for another five years and in theory by next summer the 'reform' should be in place.

What are the details on this? I got my 3rd Class Medical back in July, does this mean I won't have to renew it? Or? Thanks.

Has anyone mentioned this to their primary care yet? I was on a SI for a while and mine weren't too happy about answering to FAA aviation questions. I may have a easier time doing the periodic sign off appointment with my AME. For a simple appointment I think he charges $100. That's less than a physical at my doctor office. I haven't had a bad experience with an AME yet and most of my aviation friends haven't either. I'm not sure what we're gaining except less frequent appointments and no form to file. Looking forward to more opinions....

What we're gaining, assuming our PCPs are willing to sign us off, is medical certification without the involvement of OKC except in certain cases that are largely spelled out in the legislation. For most of us who have to spend several AMUs a year on medically unnecessary tests to maintain SIs (that are in some cases for conditions we likely don't even really have), that's a big deal.

What might kill this particular goose is the Feinstein amendments and the laying of liability on the physician who signs us off. It may be that even few AMEs will be willing to give the signoff. But all this, of course, remains to be seen.

...What might kill this particular goose is the Feinstein amendments and the laying of liability on the physician who signs us off. It may be that even few AMEs will be willing to give the signoff. But all this, of course, remains to be seen.
If that happens, AOPA and EAA will have more work to do. Let's hope they are able to find a solution if that becomes necessary.

I have to renew my SI for sleep apnea in February then I should be done as the law should be in place at that point. I see my doctor annually for a physical anyway he is a personal friend and goes to my church (small town) I talked to him about this he didn't seem to think it was a big deal any more than any other sign off he does for CDLs or the like.

Has anyone mentioned this to their primary care yet? I was on a SI for a while and mine weren't too happy about answering to FAA aviation questions. I may have a easier time doing the periodic sign off appointment with my AME. For a simple appointment I think he charges $100. That's less than a physical at my doctor office. I haven't had a bad experience with an AME yet and most of my aviation friends haven't either. I'm not sure what we're gaining except less frequent appointments and no form to file. Looking forward to more opinions....

I asked my PCP at my last physical and showed him the items in the checklist and the declaration he would have to sign. He said it would be no problem. I explained that I have a retina disorder (which I'm currently on an SI for) and he said to just bring a note from my ophthalmologist that my vision isn't effected (which it's not). He didn't seem to be the slightest bit concerned with it.

any speculation on games the insurance companies may try to play with rates on traditional vs new medical certification? Some speculation around our club on what might happen... but at this point - pure speculation, however, that's never stopped from running it to ground before.

any speculation on games the insurance companies may try to play with rates on traditional vs new medical certification? Some speculation around our club on what might happen... but at this point - pure speculation, however, that's never stopped from running it to ground before.

I saw this on the AOPA Forum:

http://jdasolutions.aero/blog/medical-reform-for-pilots/

"There's more good news for AOPA members. Again, nearly 100 percent across the board, our carriers told us that they do not foresee any rate increases in insurance premiums due to medical reform. Do you know why? Because in more than a decade, insurance companies cannot cite any losses due solely to the medical condition of the pilot that would have been discovered from a third class medical exam."

I saw this on the AOPA Forum:

http://jdasolutions.aero/blog/medical-reform-for-pilots/

"There's more good news for AOPA members. Again, nearly 100 percent across the board, our carriers told us that they do not foresee any rate increases in insurance premiums due to medical reform. Do you know why? Because in more than a decade, insurance companies cannot cite any losses due solely to the medical condition of the pilot that would have been discovered from a third class medical exam."

Excellent stuff and great response for our resident hand-wringer! :)

I asked my PCP at my last physical and showed him the items in the checklist and the declaration he would have to sign. He said it would be no problem. I explained that I have a retina disorder (which I'm currently on an SI for) and he said to just bring a note from my ophthalmologist that my vision isn't effected (which it's not). He didn't seem to be the slightest bit concerned with it.

Where'd you find the checklist at?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back