3rd class medical question related to depression

Private So Cal

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Private So Cal
Hi all, I’m a relatively new pilot (102 hours). I need to renew my 3rd class medical this month and had a doctor diagnose me as depressed earlier this year (I lost my job). He prescribed an anti depressant and Xanax but I never filled either prescription. I went to see a second MD for a second opinion and she suggested therapy if I didnt want meds. She did not prescribe any medications. Therapy did the trick for me, I never took medication. I don't believe I was ever depressed, I was anxious (about being laid off).

I read a similar post on this forum from a couple of years back, but I’m wondering if the depressed Germanwings pilot from earlier this year has changed the rules on this….

Does Dr Bruce still post here and/or offer pre-AME consultations?

Thanks

Unfortunately not filling the scripts will not be the issue. The fact that you we're diagnosed WILL be the issue. The other issue I see is that the diagnosis is recent (this year)

Some of the riff-raff ran off Dr. Bruce can you can and SHOULD contact him through the Red Board.

Good Luck!

No. Dr. Bruce isn't active here.

Yes, he can provide a certain level of certification advise via email or through the Medical Matters forum on http://forums.aopa.org (also known as the Red Board).

As the others have said, that you did not fill the script is a bit of a plus. However, you need to deal with the diagnoses.

I have seen Bruce discuss getting your diagnosing doctor to write up something that the case was a short term affair (I forget his actual descriptive word) and that the stressor has passed, and finally that in their clinical opinion, you are no longer depressed.

The FAA will still keep you in their crosshairs for a while. But if you remain clean with no repeat problems, you can be released back into the general population.

But double check with him on all of this. I could have it complete backwards.

Who's gonna know?

Bad advice, and you have been around the various forums long enough to know that.

Tell the truth now, deal with what the FAA wants to know now, and if he bends something or someone, he has a shot at keeping his privileges.

Lie by omission now, get caught when he bends something or someone, and his flying days are severely burnt toast.

Hi all, I’m a relatively new pilot (102 hours). I need to renew my 3rd class medical this month and had a doctor diagnose me as depressed earlier this year (I lost my job). He prescribed an anti depressant and Xanax but I never filled either prescription. I went to see a second MD for a second opinion and she suggested therapy if I didnt want meds. She did not prescribe any medications. Therapy did the trick for me, I never took medication. I don't believe I was ever depressed, I was anxious (about being laid off).

I read a similar post on this forum from a couple of years back, but I’m wondering if the depressed Germanwings pilot from earlier this year has changed the rules on this….

Thanks

Go find out what was entered into the "system" first.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice, I have posted the question at AOPA on the medical matters forum!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back