3rd class medical possible - Eye / Meds / Kidney Stone ?

C

CanIFly?

I am getting back into flying after 15 years and am trying to determine if I would be eligible for a 3rd class medical or if any of the following would disqualify me or make it extremely difficult to obtain the medical? It is my understanding that I will need a 3rd class medical one time since I have not had one in over 15 years?
Also, does the PBR2 affect any of these?

1) About 5 years ago was rear ended and afterwords I started seeing a floater in my eye. Optamologist ran tests and it did not affect visual field. It eventually cleared up and has not been a factor for over three years now.
2) Feb 2015 I had a kidney stone. Went to the hospital and they said it was very small. Passed with no issue and have not had a recurrence
3) In 2013 was prescribed Concerta due to some work stress (presentations, public speaking) - went off after 8-9 months and have not taken or needed medication since

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

holy smokes Op......you might as well email Dr. Bruce Chien right now if you are serious about getting your medical.

No idea on the eye floater, but on the other there here we go.

Kidney stone, you will need a KUB x-ray I.E. looks at the kidneys, bladder etc. Also here is the important parts, That X-ray will need to be accompanied by a report of x-ray written up by an actual radiologist which is with in 90days. You will either be clear of stones and be gtg or you may have a stone and the doc will need to write a compelling case on why he things it's not going to move.

so, Copy of x-ray, report of x-ray with in 90days.

As far as the concerta....congrats...the FAA now considers you unfit to fly.
To rectify that, you are going to need to see a HIMS Psych, take a littany of tests about 8 hours total, then the HIMS Psych scores it to airman's standards, you will either have ADD or you won't, that test is anywhere from $2200-$3200
Good news is, once the Psych says you don't have ADD and the FAA accepts it, you don't have to worry about that again.

good luck, email Dr. Bruce, he is the best.

The eye issue isn't likely to be a problem if it is gone. A humphrey visual fields result, if you have it, would be gravy but not likely required. Getting an 8500-7 from your optho will likely speed the problem.

As Midcap points out the Concerta is disconcerting. This one will be tricky.

Unless you have time and money to burn and/or need more privileges, I suggest you consider SP.

Whatever you do, do not apply for a medical until you've consulted with Bruce, Lou, or another hard-case AME and know that you will pass. If you apply and are not issued, you also become ineligible for SP.

Rich

Thanks to those who have responded. It's pretty amazing how seemingly minor medical issues can totally limit the ability to get a medical.
It looks like on the form 3 years is the timeframe that the FAA is concerned about?
Regarding the Concerta use, will that single point in time make it difficult for me to obtain a Class 3 even years down the road? Talking briefly with an AME at Oshkosh, he thought it may be possible to do a single special issuance without all of the testing because of the limited scope of the medication and the elapsed time since.
Do we think PBR2 will update any of the rules around ADD / Anxiety treatments? It seems like these are very commonly used treatments for even minor occurrences.

I have no issue flying SP currently but I will seek additional guidance.
Thanks everyone!!

The FAA has a burr up their posterior when it comes to psychological issues. Unfortunately, you seem to have a history of ADHD-related, medication requiring disorder on your record and that is NOT minor. You may be able to avoid the full PPP workup, but you'll need a competent AME to go about this (don't get me started about incompetent AMEs...I spent about 16 weeks grounded because of one).

PBOR2 isn't going to change this at all. It mandates no changes in the exiting issuance process. All it lets you do is forgo dealing with AMEs in favor of regular doctors PROVIDED that you have done that process at least once.

the concerta use will be the issue with the most hoops to jump thru. U can prevail but is will take time ... and $.

Thanks to those who have responded. It's pretty amazing how seemingly minor medical issues can totally limit the ability to get a medical.
It looks like on the form 3 years is the timeframe that the FAA is concerned about?
Regarding the Concerta use, will that single point in time make it difficult for me to obtain a Class 3 even years down the road? Talking briefly with an AME at Oshkosh, he thought it may be possible to do a single special issuance without all of the testing because of the limited scope of the medication and the elapsed time since.
Do we think PBR2 will update any of the rules around ADD / Anxiety treatments? It seems like these are very commonly used treatments for even minor occurrences.

I have no issue flying SP currently but I will seek additional guidance.
Thanks everyone!!

unfortunately the FAA doesn't see it that way.

Keep in mind since you had the script filled, regardless of you have ever taken in and also despite an actual psych work up saying you had ADD, you are guilty until proven innocent.

The FAA sees ADD as a lifetime disorder, now they do accept the disorder as being a spectrum disorder, but you have to be far enough on the side of the spectrum that means you do not need medication to function daily.

So, this is where there HIMS Psych and the $2500 dollar test comes in.

Ironically at one time, the FAA allowed folks with ADD to take concerta and fly. Not anymore though.

In this situation, the FAA needs to have some frame work laid out that doesn't require the Psych eval. I.e. somthing along the lines of 5 years off the meds and zero car accidents, zero run ins with the law and zero work related issues along with a note from a Dr. saying that they don't feel you need the medicine.

Can't speak to point 1 and 3, but, on kidney stones...

I had about the same experience as you. One minor kidney stone ten years before I applied for my first medical. (Of course, while passing it, you could not have convinced me that anything that hurt that much was minor!) I was required to have an ultrasound of the kidneys. Unfortunately for me, a "shadow" was found. I proceeded to freak out about (a) not getting my medical, and (b) having to go through passing a kidney stone again! A round trip with OK and I was instructed to have a CT. Fortunately, I had had a CT shortly after I passed the stone the first time. Comparing the new CT (thanks for the needless radiation, FAA) to the old CT revealed that the calcification was outside the urinary path and was identical to the calcification from a decade before. I was cleared.

That was five years ago. I'm due for another by February. What are the odds that PBOR2 will be worked out soon enough that I can skip it?

That was five years ago. I'm due for another by February. What are the odds that PBOR2 will be worked out soon enough that I can skip it?
I won't hold my breath for February. There's a regime change going on in DC in January that likely is going to screw a lot of administrative activity for a few months.

I won't hold my breath for February. There's a regime change going on in DC in January that likely is going to screw a lot of administrative activity for a few months.

Kinda what I was figuring. Oh well. One more. Two years from that should be good to go.

Unless you have time and money to burn and/or need more privileges, I suggest you consider SP.

Whatever you do, do not apply for a medical until you've consulted with Bruce, Lou, or another hard-case AME and know that you will pass. If you apply and are not issued, you also become ineligible for SP.

Rich
Rich Is right...don't take away your chance to fly SP , or Gliders Remember with SP or Gliders you still aren't supposed to fly with a know medical problem. I don't know is this would count as a know problem.

Sigh. Agree with LBF. This will demand a favorable FAA neurocognitive profile. It expen$ive (3K) and you have to beat out 15% of your age-decile matched aviators.

If you want to go this route (you have to win once for PBOR-2 eligibility, get your records together, get referred to a HIMS certified neuropsychologist (NOT one that sez "I know FAA- that's a fools' ride), and privately ge the eval done, if is favorable by AVIATIOR norms, apply only after you have it in hand.

Sigh. Agree with LBF. This will demand a favorable FAA neurocognitive profile. It expen$ive (3K) and you have to beat out 15% of your age-decile matched aviators.

If you want to go this route (you have to win once for PBOR-2 eligibility, get your records together, get referred to a HIMS certified neuropsychologist (NOT one that sez "I know FAA- that's a fools' ride), and privately ge the eval done, if is favorable by AVIATIOR norms, apply only after you have it in hand.

Where do they get this number from Dr. Bruce? I can see the sample people your age who are not pilots who have taken the test but I can't see the sample being big enough for both people who are pilots and have taken the test.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back