3rd class medical and prior drug test

U

Unregistered

I'm going to be starting training soon to become a private pilot, and I was looking for some input regarding the 3rd class medical. It looks like one of the questions is if I have "failed a drug test ever".

3 1/2 years ago (before I ever considered flying) I failed a pre-employment test for a non safety sensitive job (pot......how stupid). It was not a DOT test and I've been 100% clean since then (after almost losing my house because I was unemployed for months). I've never been treated for abuse/dependence or or anything like that, it was just a stupid mistake on my part.

Is it correct that I need to report this? Will I have to jump through hoops, talk to a psych and take a bunch of expensive tests or will I be able to get my medical without any problems? Is there anything particular I should do or bring before heading in for the exam? If I'm unlikely to get my 3rd or if I have to pay thousands to prove that I'm fit to fly, then I may go with sport pilot instead. Thanks for any insight or advice you can give.

Yes, you will have to report it. Await Dr. Bruce's sage advise on the balance of your post.

The long and short is that it sounds like you need to go LSA, 'cause it doesn't sound from the tone of your post that this is worth $1,000 and a year to you.

I just got a guy certified, third class. He's on a random monitoring program (~$700 for the year), had to go see a Certified Drug and Alcohol counselor ($210), get a bunch of lab ($200- might be insured), letters from his employers that he's reliable, no absenteeism, community references, and the issuance is one year, pending re-eval by the D&A counselor at the end of the year (~$200), with all negative random testing and good liver/CBC (~$200) labs. They call, you pee within 24 hours or it's an automatic positive.

I've got another guy also on a monitoring program, he had a year at Iowa, was busted in a county north of here for drug use and parphenalia in the car. He was STONed and easy pickings for the officer. He went through the same process. He will make it and get cut loose with an eligibility letter next spring. He's at Riddle on his SI.

I've got another guy with two DUIs in three years, a 23 y.o. UND graduate, who doesn't even have a driver's license left. He's living with hs mom and bicycling to work. He can't even afford rehab. He's in a testing program for TWO years to prove sobriety (the cheapest way I can engineer this), AA weekly (documneted), and at the end he'll need a HIMS psych eval ($~$4,000) and he'll get his first class back. I think this kid is going to make it. He wants it bad.

There is nothing cheap in restoring your record and getting the letter (of eligibility, at the end) that says "you haven't got the problem anymore, in our eyes (in not so many words)" from the federal government. I have a few guys who have framed the letter. They are rightly proud of it- one guy at age 40 hit the trifecta- great job, stable relationship (just proposed to her) and a house. He wants back in, bad.

If you can handle this, you can get a third class (assuming also no DUI, which you'll have to prove with a forever driving record search). But if they call and you don't pee in 24, your are toast. There are nationwide companies, enabling you to travel and get notified on your cell, and there will always be a place within reason to get the observed urine....so it's not like house arrest.....but you have to WANT it....and this:

unregistered said:
or if I have to pay thousands to prove that I'm fit to fly, then I may go with sport pilot instead.
....makes me think you don't want it that much. LSA it is!

Think about it for a minute. You are asking an Agency of the Federal Government to certify your medical fitness to fly. That means you have to earn it back!

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks for all the great info. I'll consider it carefully over the next few weeks. I think you're right, LSA is a great way to start. I was on the fence between LSA and private anyway, particularly due to the cost of training and aircraft. When I'm ready to take it on, I can always transition to private. Thanks again!

Just be sure your CFI is a full CFI, not an LSA limited CFI, or your hours won't transfer :).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back