3rd Class ADHD-Neuropsych Question

• Thread starter HopefulPilot123
  • Start date
H

HopefulPilot123

Morning everyone!

Back in October I received my initial letter requesting all medical records, etc. and sent back within a week. I just got the letter back about needing the Neuropsych initial battery on May 30th (yes, a full 7 months later). Unfortunately, my wife had a change in employment and I really can't afford the testing at this time for this rather expensive hobby I've been dreaming of lol.

My question to the group is...should I write a letter back to the FAA saying that, while I am still interested in eventually getting my 3rd class, that we just cannot afford it at this time? Or is it a 'now or never' situation, given the quick 30 day deadline?

They will just deny your application and at a later time you can reopen it. I'm going through something similar from back in 2013 when I made my initial application. I got deferred/denied because I had taken adderall and had an ADHD diagnosis. I decided then that I wasn't sure it was worth the $2k+ for something I would be doing for fun as just a hobby so I just didn't do anything else. This year I decided I was ready to pick it up so I consulted with a HIMS-AME and explained to him everything that was going on. He had me come in for a new physical and stated it would just re-open my file. I then had the Neuropsychological exam scheduled (took me 2 months to get in) and I went and took care of it in April and I have one more component to complete before sending my packet back in to the FAA in reference to the requirements from 2013. So the short answer is yes, you'll be able to pick it up later.

They will just deny your application and at a later time you can reopen it. I'm going through something similar from back in 2013 when I made my initial application. I got deferred/denied because I had taken adderall and had an ADHD diagnosis. I decided then that I wasn't sure it was worth the $2k+ for something I would be doing for fun as just a hobby so I just didn't do anything else. This year I decided I was ready to pick it up so I consulted with a HIMS-AME and explained to him everything that was going on. He had me come in for a new physical and stated it would just re-open my file. I then had the Neuropsychological exam scheduled (took me 2 months to get in) and I went and took care of it in April and I have one more component to complete before sending my packet back in to the FAA in reference to the requirements from 2013. So the short answer is yes, you'll be able to pick it up later.

Do I need to respond saying that? Or does it just get auto-declined?

Do I need to respond saying that? Or does it just get auto-declined?

I didn't say anything at all. After so long I think it just denied of course I'm only going with my personal history but I'm right in the middle of the process.

I would send them a note saying you are interested but can't afford it now and will come back when you can afford it. Can't hurt.

What are they going to do, double deny you?

Now what they write in their notes on the other hand, they take a good deal of liberty in what they feel they can write.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back