3G iPhone

What makes you think he is the first and that other companies had not already gotten their hands, quietly, on the new version and already have taken it apart?

The exercise is interesting because Apple does not talk much about the specs of their iphone hardware, presumably because they don't want people viewing the iphone as just a collection of off-the-shelf third-party components commonly found in other phones, nor as a collection of "specs", e.g. RAM, clock speed, etc, because Apple has no particular advantage in any of that.

So it's important for the consumers to know that the goodness of the iphone comes not from widely available and inexpensive chips, but from home-grown Appleyness itself! Every iphone is actually infused with just the right amount of Apple-goodness, and that's all you need to know. I've heard it's actually mixed by waterfall right there in a secret Apple factory in Cupertino.

But once the hardware is available publicly, then people not bound by NDAs can rip the thing open, and tell us what it actually is, and therefore what it actually can do.
-harry

I switched to the dark side and bought my 3G-S Friday afternoon. Got the last one at that location, and had to settle for 32 gig, cause they were out of 18..(grin)..

Quantum leap from the dumb-phone I had before.

Who cares about apple-goodness, or shrewd marketing.. I'm actually USING quite a few of its features.

I too will moving up from the 2G to the 3GS but decided to give it a month and let
someone else find the bugs.

I too will moving up from the 2G to the 3GS but decided to give it a month and let
someone else find the bugs.
Let me educate you a little about consumer electronics.

Generally any bugs that are found in the A model are fixed when the B model comes out. Then the bugs in the B model are fixed with the introduction of the C model. The hope is that at each iteration that the bug list is less than the previous model and that there are fewer serious performance bugs. Doing development this way speeds product introduction into the market. That is essential for CE as there is usually only a 18 month window to earn back your NRE on sales.

That all being said there are sometimes the ability to put patches into the current model of phones on a running basis. Those could be hardware but are also software related.

Specifically for cellphones operators are loath to just let new models onto the network without serious field testing and regression testing. I am willing to bet that the 3GS has been tested in a variety of AT&T markets here in the US for the better part of 6 months. I am also willing to bet that AT&T has had the phone in their engineers hands for at least 3 months.

Bottom line is that I think the phone is free of any serious bugs right now.

I too will moving up from the 2G to the 3GS but decided to give it a month and let someone else find the bugs.

Bottom line is that I think the phone is free of any serious bugs right now.

Andy, I've been using the 3.0 OS since it was seeded to developers. It's rock solid and I haven't found any bugs yet. Go get your new iPhone. :yes:

Andy, I've been using the 3.0 OS since it was seeded to developers. It's rock solid and I haven't found any bugs yet. Go get your new iPhone. :yes:

maybe so...The first Officer will pick up her 3GS this weekend and I'll see how that works out. Being involved in Commercial Electronics for 28+ years has taught me to patient :)

Back