37 down in northern Canada

Very sad. :(

I've seen First Air's 737s in my various travels. Much like Inuit Air's, they're the old models with torpedo engines on them. Interesting that they had so few people on board, but I'm wondering if the rest was filled with cargo. Out there, it's common for them to pack the plane with cargo as needed.

I've seen First Air's 737s in my various travels. Much like Inuit Air's, they're the old models with torpedo engines on them.

In addition to being cheap to buy, the -200 models have the best short-field performance and are less susceptible to picking up foreign objects on less maintained strips. In the past, they were flown into Unalaska/Dutch Harbor with its 3900ft runway.

I suspect a lot of these flights are heavily subsidized.

I don't know the finances on these flights. I do know that they are very expensive to get on, and make GA very cost-effective.

In addition to being cheap to buy, the -200 models have the best short-field performance and are less susceptible to picking up foreign objects on less maintained strips. In the past, they were flown into Unalaska/Dutch Harbor with its 3900ft runway.

Yes, I had read the same. I have a saying that old airplanes go up to Canada to die. Hopefully without people on board. :(

Wow. That's truly the frontier. "There are two nurses at the medical station....."

Last edited:
Wow. That's truly the frontier. "There are two nurses at the medical station....."

That's pretty normal up there. You don't even have to go that far north to get similar conditions. Cat Lake, Ontario (which is about smack dab in the middle, surprisingly close to Minnesota) also has 200-300 people, two nurses, and a lot of time they're your only hope if there's a problem. Winter weather especially can make it physically impossible to get a plane in or out of the 4000 ft gravel strip.

Last fall there was a Cessna 310 up at Cat Lake that had a CFIT crash one night. Had his altimeter set 1" off. :(

Back