303 Crusader

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Anyone have any info on the Cessna 303 Crusader? Out of curiosity, what would the pros/cons of ownership be (other than the standard "problems" of owning a twin). Don't hear much about this model, but it looks like a fairly good performer in a nice looking package.

I think it was Rick Durden who said it was one of the sweetest handling twins on one engine out there. I dont know much about them. Look kinda cool.

Chris, they are built..."light". Translation: they don't hold up well. The cable tears off the airstair door. The seats get bent. The small displacement engines are pushed HARD. The deice system was initially inadequate and had to be rectified by AD.

And if you're going to put up with Malibu type problems, you should at least get pressurization.

But they are sweeties to fly. Well harmonized and they do fly nicely on one....at 200 below gross.

I believe that, if I ever get a twin, I'm a-gonna placard it: "200 lb under gross"-

Call it, if you will, "Chien's Law."

A couple of months ago I spoke at length to a guy who was glad to have sold his 303. Like Bruce said, the engines are pushed hard. According to my source, it's because the plane is underpowered but the airframe really won't support anything larger or the mods on the existing engines.

I believe that, if I ever get a twin, I'm a-gonna placard it: "200 lb under gross"-

Call it, if you will, "Chien's Law."

You can fly almost any light twin at MGW. Just don't expect the climb rate on one to be more than dismal to nothing (or worse).

Back