3 strikes

U

Unregistered

I was excited to checkout a new flying club. They have 3 planes but 2 are down for maintenance.

When I asked to see the records for the plane I was to fly, the owner stated that he keeps them offsite and that he could make arrangements for me to review them. Ok, not a problem- not flying today anyway.

Next day I'm suppsed to fly, still no records, but this time my checkout CFI and I use a bit of faith. He checks the weather and files while I preflight. He's flown the plane many times, no sqwaks.

During my preflight, I noticed that it had in addition to the Standard Airworthiness Certificate, it had a Special Airworthiness Certificate (pink).

We eventually scrubbed the flight due to an issue I discovered, but I've been thinking about this Special Cert, so I looked it up on FAA.GOV and none of those seemed to fit the use of the aircraft. Is there a legit reason to have one in this case or am I misunderstanding the purpose of the cert?

Could be an old ferry permit to reposition the aircraft to a place where repairs could be made if the aircraft had inoperative equipment and didn't meet the requirements set forth in 91.205 or a similar scenario. Can you provide additional details on the special airworthiness certificate you found?

Last edited:
I thought these special permits were time specific? Why would it have both? Either its legal for normal category or isnt

I thought these special permits were time specific? Why would it have both? Either its legal for normal category or isnt
Because it was just stuffed in the pocket with the normal airworthiness certificate and never removed?

Sometimes an airplane will get modified for a particular mission (like photography) and will get recertified into another category (like restricted). Once the modifications are removed and the appropriate logbook entries are made stating that the airplane once again conforms to the original TC and STCs, it's back in the normal category. I've seen several of these planes and they've had both airworthiness certificates on board, but only one of them was "active". Now that may or may not be the way the FAA wants it, but that's what I've seen.

I'd go with Tim's explanation. Most likely whoever in the club is responsible for the AROW papers is just a packrat. At the risk of revealing embarrassing info, when I picked up my airplane from spar replacement, I found my original pink Temporary Airworthiness Certificate still in the pocket. Since no one flies the plane but me, I only check AROW after I've left it in someone else's hands. Apparently I left it there for some reason when my permanent AC arrived and never noticed it again. :dunno:

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this.

My pink temporary may have ridden in my previous plane until I sold it. ~4 years.

Is this thread about maintenance issues? or paper work in the aircraft issues?

Is there any paper work that should not be kept in the aircraft ?

Pink? Old specials looked just like the regular airworthiness certificate.
New specials look like the output of whatever fax machine they were printed on.

Because it was just stuffed in the pocket with the normal airworthiness certificate and never removed?

Sometimes an airplane will get modified for a particular mission (like photography) and will get recertified into another category (like restricted). Once the modifications are removed and the appropriate logbook entries are made stating that the airplane once again conforms to the original TC and STCs, it's back in the normal category. I've seen several of these planes and they've had both airworthiness certificates on board, but only one of them was "active". Now that may or may not be the way the FAA wants it, but that's what I've seen.

Tim, you raise an issue that I've been wondering about (and OP, sorry for the thread hijack): In two of the rentals that I fly (172, 182RG), the screw for the Cessna window (pilot's side, passenger side, or both) is removed, such that the window does not stay propped open on the ground. The explanation is that they are used for photo flights.

I find this an irritant, but that's all. Now I'm wondering: Do I have an issue in terms of paperwork, airworthiness, etc.? Must a mechanic re-install the screw?

You could reinstall the screw if it bothers you. However with the hundreds if not thousands of cessnas running around with that screw removed if there was an issue we'd know about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back