2nd dual xc

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
was an interesting one. wx briefing revealed NOTHING, yet 20 minutes after departure was updated on KINT (Winston Salem) being IFR only. we requested a diversion to KGSO (Greensboro, Class C). lots of radio work and lots of fun. even with the surprise diversion I felt a little more comfortable writing down ATC instructions when needed and reading them back correctly and promptly. there was one set of instructions on approach to GSO that I fumbled a bit and asked for help from my instructor, but otherwise a great learning experience. even checked the liveatc archive the next day and heard myself haha. I hate my voice.

I may have mentioned it in another thread, but at this point in my training I really really don't like having all this paperwork in my lap, I feel like I'm "heads down" flying and I don't like it. I know I will get more comfortable with everything and it will eventually get easier.

anyway, one week off, then it's on to solo xc!!

It will get easier, don't worry about it!

Next time, if you feel like you didn't fully understand the instruction, there is nothing wrong with "say again for Nxxxx". Try to use that rather than ask your instructor, you will always have ATC instructions you cannot fully copy the first time.

Probably would've been easier if you didn't have a week between your dual and solo XC...
Good luck!

Good job looking ahead on weather and dealing with a diversion. Excellent training. Changing weather and changing plans are frequently a constant in GA.

On another note, I would challenge that the weather brief revealed nothing but that will come with time. Considering temperature-dew point spread and barometric pressure trends can help one spot potential weather. The briefer may not mention it but you're the one in the aircraft.

Last edited:
....Probably would've been easier if you didn't have a week between your dual and solo XC...
Good luck!

Thanks, and we did talk about me coming out the day before for some solo pattern work before the xc.

Good job,the diversion will come in handy for the pp flight test.The radio work will get easier as fly more.

As Clark said, it was a good flight and a good lesson on how to deal plans that don't go as planned.

You're going to really enjoy the solo XC milestone. For me that was a time that I really, really enjoyed the privilege of being a pilot. I finally got to know the feeling of travelling somewhere in an airplane that I was controlling.

Good job on your progress! Won't be too much longer before you're fully fledged!

Cool...how many hours are you at now?

Thanks for the reminder to total up my last few pages of my logbook :)

I'm looking at 58.6 hours with 1.7 sim instrument left as well as all solo xc, night work and check ride prep.

Awesome brother! Keep at it! Take advantage of the dual XC stuff. When I went on my first solo XC I was terrified that the motor was going to quit and every thing I heard couldn't be normal. :)

Actually, start paying attention to the sounds your plane makes. When climbing, when in cruise, when in windy conditions, turbulence, etc... Take note of the prop sounds and rpm changes etc while you have your instructor next to you. Those were all things that I never once really paid attention to and when I went solo, it was a whole new experience in itself. :)

Also, since I just did that dang Check Ride, I'd totally recommend starting your studying for that now and keep studying. I didn't study hard until the 2 weeks before the check ride and I really wish I had just done a little every day to be prepared better for the oral part. Its was an intense 2 hours of questioning and digging.

You're Getting close!

+1 to learning the sounds your plane makes at different phases of flight and power settings.

The club 182 I fly makes a certain song at lower power and speed. I've come to look for and expect it as I approach the airport and work the landing pattern.

Yeah, but no matter how familiar you are, the aircraft runs a bit hotter, rougher, noisier, etc., when you fly over open water or big rocks....

On my first solo XC, I noticed that my ailerons fluttered on cruise. I had never noticed that before, and I seriously thought of diverting and declaring emergency etc.

Now I know, they do that on just about every Piper ever made :)

Back