2nd class medical, glaucoma, long range plans

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I sometimes think I may want to continue on and become a CFI someday, not because I'm going anywhere aviation career wise, just because I think it would be fun and rewarding to introduce folks to aviation.

That said, I presently have an SI for my 3rd class due to chronic open angle glaucoma. My pressures are controlled well with drops, and my fields all show normal, no degradation. There is some abnormal cupping noted in my left eye.

What chances would I have of getting an SI for 2nd class?

Bill Jennings said:
I sometimes think I may want to continue on and become a CFI someday, not because I'm going anywhere aviation career wise, just because I think it would be fun and rewarding to introduce folks to aviation.

That said, I presently have an SI for my 3rd class due to chronic open angle glaucoma. My pressures are controlled well with drops, and my fields all show normal, no degradation. There is some abnormal cupping noted in my left eye.

What chances would I have of getting an SI for 2nd class?
They're Good, Bill. Get the 8500-14 filled out by the opthalmologist, I'd go early, like when you were still a lotta time to go on the third class, and apply for second. It'll get deferred, get in the mill.

Most of my AME work is airmen who can't wait 9 months for the mill to turn. But you could continue to fly and let he 2nd class percolate!

Bill,

Also take into consideration that only a 3rd class is required to be a CFI. You only need a 2nd class to exercise the privileges of the commercial license.

Dave

Dave Theisen said:
Bill,

Also take into consideration that only a 3rd class is required to be a CFI. You only need a 2nd class to exercise the privileges of the commercial license.

Dave

Actually, unless you are training primary students, you don't need a medical at all to be a CFI. If you could make a living at it, that would be pretty cool :)

Joe Williams said:
Actually, unless you are training primary students, you don't need a medical at all to be a CFI. If you could make a living at it, that would be pretty cool :)

Well that's partially true Joe. You don't need a medical any time the student can be the legal PIC. So in addition to no primary, no instrument (safety pilot is required crew member and required to have a medical), no endorsements (tailwheel, high performance, complex) no multi-engine initial training.

About the only instruction you could give would be commercial and Flight Reviews. I'm sure there are other things you could do, like aerobatics, but my point is that it really isn't practical to go get the CFI if you know you won't be able to hold at least the third. But at least you can keep somewhat active if you lose it after you already have the CFI.

Dave

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back