2B3 Parlin field

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Flew into Parlin field, near Newport NH, this evening. Nice airfield, with both grass and paved runways. Cheap self server fuel, as well. They have bicycles you can borrow to either head out onto the bike paths that follow the river from the field, or head into town a short distance away. Good restaurants in town. There's a Mexican restaurant at the airfield, but they're closed temporarily due to plumbing problems.

Nice place. Well worth stopping by.

Nice airport,the Mexican rest. Is pretty good.

I wonder why.
If you have ForeFlight, you can read the latest Comment that hints at an explanation: "... the health department closed the really nice Mexican restaurant due to the fact that the town as landlord faced an upgrade to the sewage system and the town finance folks no longer want to support it." The rest of the comment says that the airport is embattled, the town is thinking of selling it -- the same drama that's being played out at so many similar fields.

I was there last year a couple of times for fuel, and once for a fly-in, but haven't been there since, so I can't confirm the story. But it's definitely a shame. And yes, Parlin is a great little airport, very picturesque setting, and the people there are very friendly and helpful. I hope to get out there again one of these days - hopefully soon.

I camped there once. Nice little spot. Sorry to hear about the Mexican joint being closed; it was real convenient and a decent meal. Hopefully it will open back up.

So... the scoop is that the owner of Ruger firearms, who has a plant in Newport, also lives in Newport. And he got a bill to be considered by the town by getting 25 people to sign his petition. The bill was to get the town to put the airport up for sale. When the bill was brought up in the town meeting, a large majority of the people there supported the airport, not the Ruger jackass. The town couldn't just make it go away, so they changed the bill to "consider" selling the airport, and then tabled it for discussion later. Basically, the rest of the town thinks the guy is a jackass and don't want it closed down.

So, fly in. Borrow bicycles at the airport and either ride the bike trail along the river or head the 1-2 miles into town for a meal. Make sure to tell people you flew in when you spend money there. And don't buy a Ruger for your next firearm.

Now, as far as coming up with money to upgrade the septic system, I don't know much about that. Hope they get it sorted out. Seems a stupid way to cut revenue that the town gets from the airport/restaurant.

Another rich NIMBY,trying to bully the town. Will make it a regular stop now.

So... the scoop is that the owner of Ruger firearms, who has a plant in Newport, also lives in Newport. And he got a bill to be considered by the town by getting 25 people to sign his petition. The bill was to get the town to put the airport up for sale. When the bill was brought up in the town meeting, a large majority of the people there supported the airport, not the Ruger jackass. The town couldn't just make it go away, so they changed the bill to "consider" selling the airport, and then tabled it for discussion later. Basically, the rest of the town thinks the guy is a jackass and don't want it closed down.
Is this Ruger guy the same one that has an estate up in the hills west of the field? One of the locals pointed it out to me and mentioned that the guy was looking for any excuse to report pilots for excess noise if they flew too close to his house.

Good to hear that the airport has a lot of local support. I hope they get the sewage system issue sorted out soon - I put off trying out the restaurant last year, hope it's not permanently too late... :(

Landed there in Aug, 2013 on way through. Stopped there because of fuel price and discovered a great airport. The wife and I rode the bikes into town for some food and really enjoyed the place and the people! I will try stop there again this August but this time just to enjoy the place again.

Update on 2B3: from the local pilots as of Monday, they don't expect that the restaurant will ever re-open. The bicycles are still there though, and they actually look to be in good shape and are kept inside the terminal building, unlike the junkers they have for borrowing at Sebewaing, MI. I got some recommendations for places to eat in town and will have to try it sometime. Monday I was just there to fuel up.

The field is as picturesque and inviting as ever. If 57D is the Friendliest Little Airport in Michigan, 2B3 should bill itself as the Friendliest Little Airport in New England.

Update on 2B3: from the local pilots as of Monday, they don't expect that the restaurant will ever re-open. The bicycles are still there though, and they actually look to be in good shape and are kept inside the terminal building, unlike the junkers they have for borrowing at Sebewaing, MI. I got some recommendations for places to eat in town and will have to try it sometime. Monday I was just there to fuel up.

The field is as picturesque and inviting as ever. If 57D is the Friendliest Little Airport in Michigan, 2B3 should bill itself as the Friendliest Little Airport in New England.

Bummer. It sucks loosing a stopover that had decent dining on the field.

Bummer. It sucks loosing a stopover that had decent dining on the field.
Yeah. But if you want dining on the field, try 20 minutes north at KEFK (Newport, VT). I wasn't too impressed with their pizza, but they have a pretty decent menu and the place has a good reputation.

Back