28.8kbps modem sound

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I need a 28.8 or 38.4 modem connection sound in a wav or mp3 format. You know, the screetching sound.

I don't want 56K because that was a wimpy, easy sound. I want the 28.8 sound because it was longer and more screechy. Extra points if you can find it with the failed negotiation and multiple restart attempts.

I've been searching for days....no can find. Someone's gotta have a recording of it!

Oh those were the days..... I remember waiting for hours to download the latest version of Commander Keen from the 2400baud BBS just to have someone pick up the phone when it was about 95% complete.

You guys aren't still using 28.8k dial up?

About 8 years ago I was in this hotel in Nara, Japan and could only get 9.6k in the room. I finally gave up trying to get any email at all and took my laptop to the pay phone in the lobby where they had ISDN. i was not the only one doing that either. So once in the morning to download email, spend the day typing responses, get back in line and then upload.

Last edited:
Not bad, but not the full sound.....very, very close though :D

Yeah, they missed the end part with the last tone and where the "noise" gets louder.

How sad is it that I know that? :rofl:

Sadder yet, back in the day, I managed to call a modem using a voice phone and whistle the right tones to get it to sync up. :eek:

Oh, and by the way, Marge and Helen were responsible for all those wonderful modem handshake sounds you heard, in case you didn't know:

Back