250nm XC from KBIV

piperpilot23

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jared B
Hey everyone, this is my first post to the forums, I have been reading for awhile but now is the time. I am looking for some ideas for 250nm cross countries with cool stuff to do when you get there. I have provided a picture of a 250 nm radius circle around my home airport KBIV West Michigan Regional Airport in Holland, MI. I am willing to go outside of the circle but only by another 50 or so miles because of the sheer scale of the flight planning needed to go that far (I don't own or rely on a GPS). I have planned and taken trips of this scale before but it has been a little bit. If anyone knows of some cool stuff to do (Aviation museums, good eats, fly ins, seminars or anything else noteworthy) that is inside of the circle for shorter cross countries the suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance for the help, I will take lots of pictures to document my travels.
527204_10151347906200410_2043226083_n.jpg

Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit, and Indianapolis are all within that ring. There's probably lots of things to do in all of those towns, or the inhabitants would have probably migrated elsewhere. :)

Heh heh... just giving you a hard time, but "stuff to do" at the far end, is mostly just the same type of planning to do as if you'd taken a road-trip, but you need to land somewhere that has rental cars or crew cars to go do them.

If you can drive there, and do something, you can fly there and do it.

Now if you're talking about fun things to do AT the airports... that's different. There are some airports with interesting on-field things to do, but they're relatively rare compared to the hundreds of hundreds of "just another airport", especially in the midwest. You guys have piles and piles of airports with a little runway, some folks who sell gas, and hangars, and little else there.

But there are a few gems, I think. Folks from your area will pipe up with those.

This is no different from here... there's a few airports that have restaurants, and maybe one or two with a golf course within walking distance if golf is your thing, and one or two with museums of varying quality level... but...

If you want to see something "famous" or "really fun", you're probably better off to plan to leave the airport. :)

I am confused, are you looking for >250NM (for commercial experience requirements) or are you looking for XC's less than that distance from home?

Dayton OH, Air Force Museum. Plan to spend a full day at the museum. Green Co airport just south of Dayton area is great for GA service and the can arrange a rental car.

Mackinac Island and Put-In-Bay/Kelleys Island come to mind, Burke Lakefront in Cleveland, 6Y9 fly-in, Canada..I don't know, what are you interested in?

Back