25 power company bucket trucks

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Con Edison has placed a temporary lighted sign at an exit off of I-95 pointing in the direction of their giant facility in Rye, NY. It says, "Con Ed Material Area" with an arrow. Nevertheless, yesterday I saw three power trucks emblazoned with "Georgia Power" sitting in a nearby office complex parking lot with the lead driver poring over a map after obviously taking a wrong turn at the sign.

According to news reports thousands of New York residents will still be waiting until the end of the week for power to be restored. It is the greatest number of person-hours without power ever. I don't know whether that is for the local Con Ed or what because it is hard to believe the outage is worse than the havoc from Katrina.

On I-95 the way northward from Rye this morning, I spotted a convoy of fifteen power company bucket trucks, obviously on their way to the staging area. They had a variety of logos. As I continued to work, I kept count of them and within my twenty mile drive, at least 25 southbound huge power trucks were on their way. I didn't count the vans with extension ladders tied to their roofs.

Once onto the local streets, the bucket trucks were more likely to have the name of a landscaper or tree service. They were in convoys, too.

It reminded me of the response we had in Manhattan after 9-11. When I walked the streets, there were fire trucks parked all over the city with markings from everywhere for months afterward. I saw a truck from Chico, CA. It makes me proud that the response is so great when the need is great.

[disclaimer] Yes, I know they are getting paid. [/disclaimer]

The power companies have some sort of mutual aid system, at times crossing international borders. Above-ground electricity distribution is pretty standard hardware and the crews are set up to travel to job sites within their service area anyway. Now the phone companies on the other hand......

It's seemingly a brotherhood. During a several week, widely-scattered ice storm/power outage in 1998 in Maine we saw trucks from MA, NH, NY, NJ, CT, Canada; FL, VA, TN, and other states. Central Maine Power Co. and Bangor Hydro Co. could never have done the job without all the assistance. When recovery was completed there were large overhead digital signs at Maine Turnpike entrances thanking the departing angels.

HR

Back