"24", What Happened?

roncachamp

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Steven P McNicoll
Something apparently happened on the "24" episode aired 1/12 that's causing folks to phone ATC facilities with their concerns. Anybody know what that might be?

Last edited:
Something apparently happened on the "24" episode aired 1/14 that's causing folks to phone ATC facilities with their concerns. Anybody know what that might be?

If you know some of these folks, con you please ask them to give you the stock prices for 1/14 and post them here for us?

Thanks in advance.:smile:

Apparently a TV terrorist disrupted ATC communications and vectored two aircraft towards each other in an attempt to have them collide.

Didn't see the episode, just what I read.

From TV.com

Tony and his crew put their CIP override device to the test as they divert two planes in mid-air, nearly causing a collision and hundreds of casualties. With the successful test of the device, Tony's boss, Emerson, delivers it to General Juma who is planning to use it to blackmail the US. Jack follows up a lead with Renee but is convinced there is a leak inside the FBI when their suspect is shot dead by a sniper before he can give up any useful information. He is proven right when the fleeing shooter leads them to Tony's boat. Meanwhile, Taylor meets with former Sangalan president Matobo to convince him to hold Juma accountable for his crime in a proper court, not trial by angry mob. Henry continues his quest to find out the truth about his son by visiting his girlfriend, Samantha.

I'm sure all the calls to ATC were warning them of the possibility of the CIP :rolleyes:

Another manifestation of the CSI effect. And another reason I no longer watch TV.

Are you serious? Once again, my faith in the general population's intelligence is shaken. How dumb do you have to be?

I did watch that episode because I heard that it involved airplanes. Suffice to say that you'd have to be pretty delusional to take it seriously. I guess ATC flies those planes directly afterall, and "pilots will do anything ATC tells them."

If only those people knew that there is no big federal firewall and that radio communication - for ATC, most police, etc. - are analog and easy to intercept with some radioshack equipment...

If only those people knew that there is no big federal firewall and that radio communication - for ATC, most police, etc. - are analog and easy to intercept with some radioshack equipment...

Actually the mandate is for all Federal communications to be narrowband digital as of this year...except for ATC and some military frequencies.

Which is why I wasn't talking about federal agencies. The vast majority of our security forces are state and not federal.

I hope we get some calls! It would break up the monotony of telling the snowplows where to go (on the airport, I mean). :devil:

--Matt

Back