23rd of 57, N29

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Magdalena Airport (N29)

This is, by far, the nicest gravel strip I've ever laid my eyes on. There are some pretty big rocks on the runway, but they're easy enough to navigate around. There is no tie down space, per se, but there are 2 hangars and a small terminal building that was locked when I arrived, and a turnaround spot that served as the ramp for me when I got here.

As you approach the airport from the northeast, you'll cross over the city of Magdalena itself, and you can't miss the mountain with the giant "M" on it. I assume the high school seniors must have put that up. The dirt strip is a bit difficult to pick out as there is a lot of dirt roads in this area, but remember the 2 keys to finding a dirt strip in New Mexico: Find a windsock or find a turnaround spot. N29 has both, thankfully.

The airport is located just under the CATO MOA, but its way under, as the CATO MOA starts at 13,500ft. To the west of the airport is the Very Large Array, or VLA, which is a sight that anyone who flies in this area should see. Its amazing just how big the VLA really is.

Other than the VLA or the city of Magdalena, there's not much to do here. There's a lot of cool looking prarie for those of you that like to hike, but this is rattlesnake country, so be careful. There's no fuel, and no services, and from the looks of it, most often no people here either.

Pictures (from the cellphone):
1) Final, runway 20
2) On the ramp

MAGDALENA QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6727 Ft
Runways 2/20: 5650'x50ft, dirt/gravel in good condition
CTAF: 122.9

Nick's NOTAMS: No services or fuel available. No real parking or tie down spaces. Big rocks in the runway, some loose enough to like propellers.

Attachments

• magdalena2.jpg
    magdalena2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 71
  • magdalena.jpg
    magdalena.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 42
Thats barely a path Nick, I wouldn't call it a road or runway. LOL

Looks like you are really knocking them out. GREAT JOB.
Is Piper starting to make all these trips with you now?
Wanted to let you know, they make a small metal "bucket" that comes with a clip for attaching it to the side of his "home". As long as you don't hit REAL severe turbulance it will spill VERY little and he can have water all the time then.

Mark B.

OK, Nick, exactly whose big fence are you flying through on final there?

Here I am patting myself on the back because I landed on a 2700ft paved strip this weekend. Baby steps in the not-so-great-on-short-field-landings Sundowner, right? Then I see that picture. It's a whole different world you westerners fly in!

Nice pix, but I'm also curious about those spikes you were flying through. Some sort of Roswell alien defense shield maybe? Keep the updates coming, and good luck on your quest!

Spikes are from my cellphone camera capturing the propeller. Odd, eh?

I was thinking Nick you are a little close to that antenna.

Attachments

• TD-42XG_list.gif
    TD-42XG_list.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 75
SkyHog said:
Spikes are from my cellphone camera capturing the propeller. Odd, eh?
Very, very odd. I had at first thought that we were seeing some artifact from electronic interference, but then I saw the reflection of ... it... in the glareshield. In any event, not at all the pattern I would have ever expected.

I think, Nick, that it was actually one of those parallel universe things, where the cell phone was tuned into a slightly different harmonic frequency than the one at which we are all operating. In this parallel universe, "Nork" (your doppelganger) was flying his "Pooper Chalamee" and flew it into the large steel grate that the Fargnockers erected to defend their sand and dirt empire from invasion.

Thank God that the feedback from Nork's fiery end did not affect you.

wow Spike. I'm speechless. That's probably exactly what happened!!!

:D :D

Back