20th of 57, KABQ

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Albuquerque International Airport (KABQ)

Albuquerque International Airport is the center of the state of New Mexico, and I say that not just because I live here, but because it really is. It is a class C airport (the only one in New Mexico) and has more runways than you can shake a stick at.

It is only 6nm away from my home drome, which may explain why it took so long for me to make it here. Seriously, who wants to fly 6nm? Its a really cool airport and the controllers are super nice as well. Usually, when taking people up for their first flight, I'll take them over here, since its a familiar place for them (and no one can believe us little guys are allowed in!).

The longest runway is 8/26, and its LOOOOONG. 13,793 feet long to be exact. And there is a displaced threshold of 1000' feet also, which means all together, this runway is 14,793 feet long. Thats a long runway. The approach to runway 8 takes you over the "mighty" Rio Grande. If you've never seen it from the air before, I strongly suggest against it. It will ruin the images in your head of the greatness the river represents. From the air, it looks like a stream of mud, which is, unfortunately, not too far off of what its become in the last few years.

You've got your pick of 2 different FBOs when you land here. The one I use the most is Cutter, because they've always been unbelievably nice to me, but there is also SevenBar aviation as well. Either way, don't plan to get fuel here, or you will not be happy. Cutter's fuel price was $5.36 on the day I arrived, while SevenBar's lists at $5.16 on airnav.com. I'm always told that there is no courtesy car available at either one, although I have been in there before and seen one given to pilots with epaulets on the shoulders. Take that for what it is worth.

There is nothing within walking distance of the airport unless you can find a way to park at the Civil Air Patrol ramp and you have access to Kirtland Air Force Base, but if you get a cab to some place in the city, the whole city is yours via a public bus system. I strongly suggest the Frontier restaurant as the food is delicious and it is steeped in history.

Right across from the Frontier is the University of New Mexico. There are a lot of hippies standing out front, and I would avoid making eye contact, especially if you see a middle aged Native American man in daisy duke jeans and no shirt telling you how to live a healthier life. This man is known to locals as "Naked Man" and he will strip if you talk to him for too long. Its not pretty, but he sure thinks it is :D

While you're here, check out the Rio Grande Zoo, and possibly the Aquarium and the Botanical Garden. All 3 are very nice places with a full day's worth of entertainment available. There is a shuttle that runs between the three (I've heard a train also, but I've never seen it....).

Downtown has a very nice place called Civic Plaza where people hang out all day long. It is wified so you can get internet access here as well, while eating a hotdog from "The HotDog Man and Co." hot dog carts. They're delicious!

A trip to Albuquerque would not be complete without a ride on the worlds longest continous tram, which takes you to the top of the Sandia Peak. The tram is used for people who want to ski in the winter, but during the summer it is mostly used to get the most spectacular view of Albuquerque possible, especially at night. From the top of the Sandia Peak, you really can see over 200 miles, if not further. Its amazing what dry, cloudless heat can do for you.

My suggestions for restaurants in Albuquerque are as follows:

For New Mexican food (which is NOT Tex-Mex, its closer to Mexican and doesn't involve bean and meat chili on everything), I suggest either Gardunos or Los Cuates. Garcia's Kitchen is also very good. Remember, you'll be asked "Red or Green" for almost anything you order. They're asking what kind of chile (yeah, its spelled with an e) you want. Neither one is hotter than the other if prepared right, they're just totally different tastes. If you're not sure, most places can give you a sample of each for you to try. If you're from California or Arizona, don't call it "Green Sauce" or "Red Sauce." It'll single you out as a "California Cowboy," and that's not a compliment.

For New Mexico BBQ, which is way different (and IMHO, better than) Tennessee or Kansas City BBQ, I strongly suggest Mr. Powdrell's BBQ Restaurant.

For some fancy, fancy food, while on the Sandia Crest, check out High Finance. Its way over priced, but its a hell of a restaurant.

There is more to do in Albuquerque, but the rest is closer to Double Eagle Airport on the west side of town. If you are looking for more to do, I strongly suggest reading that report (coming out later tonight probably).
Pictures:
1) Final, runway 21
2) Short final, runway 21
3) Piper (my dog), Juliet (my plane) and Cutter Aviation
4) #5 for Departure, big ol' plane butt in front of me

ALBUQUERQUE INTERNATIONAL SUNPORT QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 5355 Ft
Runways 8/26: 13793'x150ft, Grooved Concrete in good condition
Runways 3/21: 10000'x150ft, Grooved Concrete in good condition
Runways 17/35: 10000'x150ft, Grooved Asphalt and Concrete in pristine condition
Runways 12/30: 6000'x150ft, Grooved Concrete in good condition
ATIS: 118.0
APPROACH: 123.9 (South of V12 and East of Mountains)
APPROACH: 124.4 (North of V12 and West of Mountains)
APPROACH: 127.4 (North of V12 and East of Mountains)
APPROACH: 134.8 (South of V12 and West of Mountains)
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 119.2
GROUND: 121.9
TOWER: 120.3
TOWER: 123.775

Nick's NOTAMS: Oh god the fuel price!!! Runway 21 is very confusing to find on the ground, get progressive if you're assigned 21. Taxiway signs painted on the concrete taxiways, not on signs in some locations. Do not step on the crack sealer on the pavement, as its gonna be hot and sticky and melted and you'll never get it off your shoes.

Attachments

• Final RW21 KABQ.jpg
    Final RW21 KABQ.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Short Final RW21 KABQ.jpg
    Short Final RW21 KABQ.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Piper and Cutter.jpg
    Piper and Cutter.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Plane Butt.JPG
    Plane Butt.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Excellent write-up, Nick. ABQ is as friendly to general aviation as any major airline airport, and very convenient to the city (more so than Double Eagle). I always use Cutter, and they have been excellent without exception. It's a great place to catch an airline flight if you're forced to do that. Cutter will run you over to the terminal immediately and pick you up within minutes of your call, and for $5 a night it's cheaper than parking a car there. I've never been to 7 Bar because their operation at Farmington was downright toxic until new management came last year, but from what I hear their service is good too.

Jon

Nice report Nick, a little closer to the business end of the MD80 than I would be in my Cherokee!!

My lab, when I worked at Kirtland, was at the approach end of runway 26. We have a high power laser beam expander, basicaly a big telescope, that we test different vibration mode dampening technologies and algorithms on. It pointed right at the planes landing on 26. When we would run tests we were pumping high pressure fluids through heat exchangers on the abcks of the mirror on the beam expander. This was dangerous and we were in a block house. The site was secured with red warning lights and PA annoucments. I cannot tell you how many time we would have the SPs over askign us about shooting lasers at the pilots, of course we never had any laser fire in that direction except for small power red ones lick in presentation pointers and then just to align the optics.

Back