2024 Current Medical Wait Timeline Using AMAS Thyroid Cancer

TVProducer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TVProducer
Hey Everyone,

I posted this on Reddit but figured I’d put it here too since you all helped me the first time I had to deal with special issuance. I wanted to chronicle my current Special Issuance Medical Application time frame for everyone so that some people in a similar boat have a good idea. This post will be edited as information becomes available. For those unfamiliar AMAS is Aviation Medicine Advisory Service. It is a paid service that will put together your medical package and submit to the FAA. If you are part of an Airline Union you most likely get this benefit for free. They also have a direct line to the FAA which makes your medical issuance usually process faster than doing it on your own.

Disqualifying Condition: Thyroid Cancer
Grade of Certificate: 1st Class
Treatment: Thyroid Lobectomy
Current Diagnosis: Free of Disease, Thyroid Stable without Medication

AMAS Estimated Review and Issuance Timeline: 4-5 Months

April 23, 2024: AMAS Submits Full Package of Medical Records, Doctor's Letter to the FAA, Blood Tests, and Ultrasounds to FAA AAM-300

May 1, 2024: All Records Received and Scanned In

May 13, 2024: Applicant Reaches out to AAM-300 to Confirm Records Received. Representative Confirms all records have been Received and now the file is 'Under Review'

May 15, 2024: Applicant Reaches out to Regional Flight Surgeon For Status. Regional Surgeon redirects applicant to call CAMI.

May 20, 2024: Applicant Reaches out to AAM-300 to express interest in current status. Representative informs applicant that the medical application is now just awaiting a final decision and has reached the second stage of review with a doctor. Applicant inquires about leadtime for a decision, representative has no idea. Advises calling CAMI back in 2 weeks if applicant does not hear anything.
---------------

Again, I'll update this post every 2-4 weeks to provide updates on the process.

TV producer: are you a revenue (135 or 121)airman?
If so this approval can be had in 2 weeks.
But if not, it's wait wait wait wait for a nearly failed bureaucracy to get to it.......

TV producer: are you a revenue (135 or 121)airman?
If so this approval can be had in 2 weeks.
But if not, it's wait wait wait wait for a nearly failed bureaucracy to get to it.......
Yes in Fact. I fly for a United States 121 Carrier out of PHL.... any idea how I can get this pushed through? Is it a call to CAMI to inform them I work for a 121 Carrier?

Last edited:
Your AME of record can do that. He has to just have the gumption to engage a medical officer, M, W-Th, Fri.
Won't do it? Incorrect choice of AME.

GET to an AME who is willing to do this, new 8500-8 ....new exam gives him standing to call the agency for clearance. I mean, how much per month that isn't working......isn't this worth....(this is what AMAS cannot do!).

Last edited:
Your AME of record can do that. He has to just have the gumption to engage a medical officer, M, W-Th, Fri.

GET to an AME who is wiling to do this, new 8500-8 ....new exam gives him standing to call the agency for clearance. I mean, how much per month that isn't working......isn't this worth....(this is what AMAS cannot do!).
He is a very good AME, I just shot him over an email asking him to reach out to CAMI on my behalf to engage a medical officer to process my medical faster. Gave him my MID. I didn’t mention the 8500-8 detail as I’m sure he is aware because he is one of the most busy and highly recommended AMEs in my area.

I agree that the long term disability does not equate to what I know I can actually make. Frustrating part is I know I’m perfectly fine, my doctor has written a note stating free of disease and thyroid stable without meds, and will get routine follow up ultrasounds and blood tests to monitor for reoccurrence risk. I’m assuming a special issuance with follow up documentation similar to when I had special issuance for seizures as a kid. Then after a few years of no reoccurrence knock on wood, they throw you back in the pool. Thanks for the advice Doc!

GET to an AME who is willing to do this, new 8500-8 ....new exam gives him standing to call the agency for clearance. I mean, how much per month that isn't working......isn't this worth....(this is what AMAS cannot do!).
Thanks Dr Bruce for the input. I went today and he said ‘Well we my as well do a 1st class physical on you to update it anyway before I call’ so did the physical he made the call and as you said, no one was in today. He said he would call tomorrow and if he can get authorization he will tell me when I can pick up the medical. He said otherwise it’ll just be deferred but being that OKC has everything it should not be too long either way.

You are an absolute legend. My AME called this morning to OKC. Got the authorization over the phone. Called me and told me to come pick up my first class medical! It expires in a year requiring a letter from my endocrinologist stating no adverse changes and stable thyroid. Thank you so much for your advice!!

Well Halleujah!.....and back to sim, for you....(!)
(thanks, but not a legend. I just pay attention....)

Last edited:
Back