2015 IAC Known Sequences

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
I grabbed some video of the finalized Sportsman, Intermediate, and Advanced Known sequences for next year. For those unfamiliar, the Known sequences are sequences published by IAC each year, and are flown for the 1st flight at contests. The Primary category sequence for 2015 is still being worked out.

Sportsman
Intermediate
Advanced

Thanks Wifferdill. That is as close as I will get to competing :).

Thanks Wifferdill. That is as close as I will get to competing :).

Hell it doesn't take much - just a couple acro lessons, a rental Decathlon, and a safety pilot. You don't have to do well, just have fun and challenge yourself. :)

OK this year was a bust for flying. Next year promises to be a lot better work wise. And the 2015 primary looks better if I read it right. But what is the 270* egg thing?

OK this year was a bust for flying. Next year promises to be a lot better work wise. And the 2015 primary looks better if I read it right. But what is the 270* egg thing?

Ernie - that's a 270 degree turn, same as the 2nd to last figure in the Sportsman sequence. I'm still not a big fan of what has been done to Primary for this year and next year, but at least next year Primary pilots will get to fly more than 4 figures.

Ernie - that's a 270 degree turn, same as the 2nd to last figure in the Sportsman sequence. I'm still not a big fan of what has been done to Primary for this year and next year, but at least next year Primary pilots will get to fly more than 4 figures.

Thanks. At least the roll after is on a down line.

At least the roll after is on a down line.

It's on a level line, not a downline. The turn is done level, and the roll after is done level. It's drawn at an angle to represent the Y-axis flight path, not as a downline. You will be on the Y after a 270 turn. Downlines are drawn either vertical or 45 degrees. Any other angle will be a Y-axis figure, which will be implied by the figure that produces the Y-axis exit.

Last edited:
BTW, this is the 2015 Primary sequence being discussed. Loop, Half Cuban, aileron roll, 180 turn, 270 turn, aileron roll.

25jw3g3.jpg

It's on a level line, not a downline. The turn is done level, and the roll after is done level. It's drawn at an angle to represent the Y-axis flight path, not as a downline. You will be on the Y after a 270 turn. Downlines are drawn either vertical or 45 degrees. Any other angle will be a Y-axis figure, which will be implied by the figure that produces the Y-axis exit.

I guess some airplanes wouldn't have a problem maintaining enough airspeed for a roll after back to back steep turns. :-(

I guess some airplanes wouldn't have a problem maintaining enough airspeed for a roll after back to back steep turns. :-(

I hear ya. I don't like the '15 sequence much either.

I had this idea below for a Primary sequence. I'm going to send this in for consideration for 2016. IAC seems to struggle with Primary more than any other category. I understand wanting to keep it simple and safe, but there was clearly a lot of blowback about how short this year's sequence was, especially since it had no spin. The 2015 sequence isn't much better, IMO. The 2nd roll is placed after an energy-scrubbing turn, which will be hard for low-performing planes without inverted systems.

This sequence would flow well enough, and places the looping segments downwind over the top, which helps low-performing airplanes fly them round. IAC has made efforts to do the same, but you quickly discover that you get boxed in with sequence design when you try to do this, include a spin, and decent airspeed into a roll. Here, the roll can be entered with plenty of speed. Even low-performing airplanes would be able to fly a 180 turn on top of a 45 upline if they manage their energy and box position properly. Downwind entry.

4sk2f8.jpg

Last edited:
This looks doable without exit/reentry for most anything. I wonder what the logic was to follow a 180 turn with a 270 in the opposite direction?

I wonder what the logic was to follow a 180 turn with a 270 in the opposite direction?

Probably lots of debating, hand-wringing, committee editing, and a compromise.

My guess is they are trying to keep the sequence as dead-simple and "safe" as possible, but were trying to make the sequence longer, as the 4-figure 2014 sequence was fairly negatively received overall.

Back