2014 6Y9 Fly-in

Not being a smart ass...serious question.

How does someone who's been here since 2008 and has over 8,000 posts not know this?

I really blew me away that you asked.

Kind I surprised me too.
The guy that lived in Iowa did not know. Now that he lives in Texas he finds out about it. :)

Really sorry that we had to officially cancel the Flyin to the public this year, but we still had a great time, and we want to thank Brad & Diz for all their hard work! It was good seeing ?Tim & Jeannette, Steingar, Dr. Bruce & Sue, MikeA & Elaine, Meredith, and all the locals, including those who live only 5 miles from us!

Got home about 2 hours ago and put away all my stuff. Many thanks to all. Had a great time and a tough ride. Karma kame klose and kaught up. When changing the tires on the bike with my mekanic pal it kame up that Harley speedometer kables break once a year. I said that had never okkurred once on any of my Japanese bikes. So guess what broke in the You Pee on the way back? photos to follow. Mrs. Steingar says hi to all.

Oh, our timing was impeccable. Driving from the UP to Oshkosh, we got there at 12:59 for a 1:00 wedding! Then went to Ardy and Ed's for lunch!

Ok gang. We got home about 11pm. I leave for Baltimore tomorrow afternnon and back home Thursday. Will post more while sitting in the Hotel room or while on the plane. Rough storm heading to the Big Mac. Hope Michael wasn't in Much of that.

Naw, had clear sailing all the way. Even saw some blue sky and this round yellow thingie in it.

Glad to hear y'all had a great time! I really wanted to sneak up for one night and join you but every time I checked the weather it wasn't very inviting. The view from SE MO looked like four days in a row of weather in the UP made for staying on the ground.

Maybe next year.

I looked at the weather and decided to head for home after the fog lifted on Sunday. Awesome flight back.
Little sad that the 2014 Fly In was a bust, But the 2014 Drive In was great.
A big thank you to Tim and Jeanette, Grant and Leslie, Mike and Elaine, Dr. Bruce and Sue,and Michael and Gold Wing for making the effort to get there.
Hopefully weather will be kind to us in 2015.

Last edited:
To add to Brads post, we all made a new friend in Joe (SourDough) who flew in Sunday a couple hours before Brad left.

We will look forward to better weather for next years event.

To add to Brads post, we all made a new friend in Joe (SourDough) who flew in Sunday a couple hours before Brad left.

We will look forward to better weather for next years event.

Geez, how could I forget the only guy that flew into 6Y9 on the weekend.
Thank You Joe!!

I'm glad I made at least part of the official fly-in. I'll proudly wear my 6Y9 shirt. The flight back was great, with some help of XM wx in S WI. The presidential TFR was expired by the time the weather cleared. I even had a small tailwind, no need for a fuel stop, $4.99 at home.

If I can swing it and the wx allows I may be back as soon as Sept 10th, just 2 days or so.

Glad that everyone had a good time, albeit a small gathering.

Hard for me to believe it's been 6 years since I showed up in that little Archer.

Photos as promised.

1. The guard shack, the only one of its kind. The plan (as I heard it) is for it to be rebuilt as close to original condition as possible.

2. The liquor cabinet.

3. Our most gracious hosts in an unguarded moment. The utter souls of hospitality.

4. The school.

5. The school.

6 and 7. The unspoiled wilderness that is the UP.

I give the Michiginas lots of flak, being an Ohioan it is expected. But I have to hand it to them, there is just nothing in Ohio that even approaches the UP. Such raw, beautiful, untouched wilderness simply isn't found this far south. Everywhere you turn, lakes, forests, hills, it just doesn't stop. I've been all over the US and Central America, and I've never seen a place more lovely.

Attachments

• DSC00902.jpg
    DSC00902.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00905.jpg
    DSC00905.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00906.jpg
    DSC00906.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00907.jpg
    DSC00907.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00910.jpg
    DSC00910.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00879.jpg
    DSC00879.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00915.jpg
    DSC00915.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 44
Brad's airport and Diz's clubhouse are teh cool. Avoid Sidnaw Eats. She evidently is doing customer prevention.

One lap of Lake Michigan completed.

attachment.php

and I took a short cut from the shore along the the northern part of lower Michigan when I accidently went via Grand Rapids.

We missed getting any Michigan cherries, but I got my pasty with perogies at the last moment, 100 tulip bulbs from Holland, and I think we have like 7 pounds of fudge.

We touched 3 of the Great Lakes, Michigan on the right, Superior on the left, and Huron just over yonder.

In other news, my Lincoln MKX is a comfortable and capable keeper. Sirius is nice. Gonna miss it after I cancel. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Lake trip 2014 sm IMG_20140903_205337.jpg
    Lake trip 2014 sm IMG_20140903_205337.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Photos as promised.

6 and 7. The unspoiled wilderness that is the UP.

I give the Michiginas lots of flak, being an Ohioan it is expected. But I have to hand it to them, there is just nothing in Ohio that even approaches the UP. Such raw, beautiful, untouched wilderness simply isn't found this far south. Everywhere you turn, lakes, forests, hills, it just doesn't stop. I've been all over the US and Central America, and I've never seen a place more lovely.
The wilderness photos look like they are of South Bay (Lake Superior) taken from the overlook just west of Munising on M28. Am I right?

The wilderness photos look like they are of South Bay (Lake Superior) taken from the overlook just west of Munising on M28. Am I right?

I don't think so. These were either a southward overlook on 2 or a lake I thought photogenic. Not certain which. Not that it matters, both were indescribably lovely. The UP is gorgeous.

I got home yesterday evening and it was a very odd and relaxing drive. It was very uneventful, traffic was very light, and I arrived a half hour earlier than the normal 8 hrs. I ran the events of the weekend over in my mind. Even though I had to cancel the lunch part, all fell into place.

I personally want to thank everyone who came. In spite of Mother Nature not cooperating, we had a great time!!!

And as mentioned earlier about it being a small group...well that may be true as far as PoA-er's but we had a round robin of locals, family members, and pilots that are not part of PoA show up. I was hoarse from giving tours about the ongoing "project." Mike A- I will forgive you~ this time~ for calling it Brad's clubhouse....lol....we so have to talk....

Someone left a gray sweatshirt and a large knife. I left them up north in
case they belong to one of the locals that stopped by, but will bring them back and mail them to whomever if you claim them. Steingar-- I have some straps that I'm sure fit to the bottom of your rain pants? I did bring those back and will pop them in the mail to you.

We have a new friend in Sourdough. Since the three of us have been connected to that area for many, many years, we discussed a lot of things, events & names of the past, etc., and that was fun. Thank you for coming and I'm sure we'll be seeing you more. Hope so anyway.

WHISSIS-----

"G"rant- enuff said on that....but on another subject, hope you enjoyed the lights. :rofl:

Also, thanks to you and Leslie for your donations of items that will no doubt come in very handy with each additional fly in. I must confess that I found no one to share the wine with...such a sacrifice on my part to not have it go to waste so I made sure that it didn't. (I might add the same for the bourbon that Mike brought, although there is a smidge left of that)

The potluck dinner was wonderful and we may have found some good traditions.:)

Tim- so sorry about the guitar neck, although you took your sweet time in complaining so I'm wondering just how "bad it was" for you....:lol::lol::lol::lol::rofl:

Jeannette did a most fantabulous job at the piano -even without "notes!" We didn't even notice --she is much better than she thinks she is...and Leslie...you too...brush up for next year. Tim- it was fun harmonizing with you. And what fun to have the neighbor stop by and bring another guitar.

Bruce & Sue kinda sorta flew in kinda sorta....just a slight diversion. Was sooo great to have you visit again and I'm sorry your extended trip got cut short because of the weather.

We missed you Ed-- hoping that your plane feels better soon....Also missed Ryan & Jenn but the kids had other activities out of state that made it impossible for them to join us.

Big thanks to T & J for coming up early to help us with last minute stuff. It may not seem like you did much, but trust me, you did.

I am also humbled by the generosity from the top of the refrigerator...you guys are the best.

This concludes my cryptic message for now. You had to be there to understand...if I think of anything else, I may add it later. Or not...I'm mostly a lurker.

Steingar-- I have some straps that I'm sure fit to the bottom of your rain pants? I did bring those back and will pop them in the mail to you.

Thanks. I didn't use them on the way back and didn't notice the loss. Funny thing is I thought I'd lost them at Gary's, but just misplaced them somewhere obvious (on the bike). Those things do come in handy for keeping the rain pants from climbing up over my boots.

The other funny thing is my jacket has so many pockets I'd loose things by putting them in the wrong one. Approaching Gary's I spend 3 minutes thinking I'd lost my phone (a real disaster if it happened at this point) and approaching the bridge I misplaced my wallet. Both in other pockets.

I thought this too Gary, but then again it looks a lot like Lk. Michigan down off US 2 near Pte. Aux Chenes between Naubinway and the Bridge

This is the Mackinac Island docks from my Nexus 5 in HDR+ mode.

attachment.php

OMG! It works!

Then Google Photos AutoAWESOMES IT!

attachment.php

That sucka is going be a big print.

Me is much pleased.

Attachments

• Mackinaw IMG_20140902_115905-EFFECTS  sm.jpg
    Mackinaw IMG_20140902_115905-EFFECTS sm.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Mackinaw Awesomed MG_20140902_115905-EFFECTS (1).jpg
    Mackinaw Awesomed MG_20140902_115905-EFFECTS (1).jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
This is the Mackinac Island docks from my Nexus 5 in HDR+ mode.

attachment.php

OMG! It works!

Then Google Photos AutoAWESOMES IT!

attachment.php

That sucka is going be a big print.

Me is much pleased.
Photo linky(s) no worky(s). :(

Definitely a beautiful peninsula. But I'm finding that there are many parts of Vermont and New Hampshire that give the best of Michigan a run for its money in terms of wild beauty and north-woodsy ambiance. I flew over the Presidential Range recently and marveled at how remote and craggy that country is. Last night I did a fuel run into the NEK (to KCDA, specifically) and was greatly impressed as well. And there are highways in VT that would be given special "scenic" designation if they were in MI, but are just ordinary byways in VT (thinking of the Mad River Byway and even VT-12 between Montpelier and Northfield).

What Michigan has that no other state has is the magnificence of the coastlines of Lake Superior and of the other great, Great Lakes, Huron and Michigan. I truly miss those awesome inland seas.

Sorry. Fixed above.

Beautiful photos!

But OMG: What has Mackinac Island done to the docks area? What's with all those plastic condo-thingies, where the awesome old warehouses used to be?

Beautiful photos!

But OMG: What has Mackinac Island done to the docks area? What's with all those plastic condo-thingies, where the awesome old warehouses used to be?

Warehouses? On the ferry dock side? What would they warehouse?
The buildings have always been there as long as I have visited.
I think they remodeled the insides, like, we found a wonderful new hotel right on Main Street that's only been there for two seasons.

There are docks on the west side of the island they use for barges.

I'm referring to the cool, old freight warehouses where everything was offloaded from the ferries. They were right next to the ferry landing.

I'm not sure from your pic -- we haven't been to Mackinac Island since 2005 -- but it looks like the developers must've got to them, too. I'm thinking they used to be where those fake looking "new, made to look sort of old" condo things are?

Edit: Just showed the pic to Mary. She confirmed my suspicions, dang it.

Those warehouses were awesome. The horse-drawn Fed Ex and UPS drivers staged out of them, as did others who had stuff shipped to the island. Since there is no other way to get furniture or building materials out there, they were BUSY. I wonder where they stage out of now?

And the smells! The hundred year old wood, combined with the horses and all the various items -- it was marvelous.

Sad to see the developers rip the soul out of another cool place. It's happening on our little island, too.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the cool, old freight warehouses where everything was offloaded from the ferries. They were right next to the ferry landing.

I'm not sure from your pic -- we haven't been to Mackinac Island since 2005 -- but it looks like the developers must've got to them, too. I'm thinking they used to be where those fake looking "new, made to look sort of old" condo things are?

Edit: Just showed the pic to Mary. She confirmed my suspicions, dang it.

Those warehouses were awesome. The horse-drawn Fed Ex and UPS drivers staged out of them, as did others who had stuff shipped to the island. Since there is no other way to get furniture or building materials out there, they were BUSY. I wonder where they stage out of now?

And the smells! The hundred year old wood, combined with the horses and all the various items -- it was marvelous.

Sad to see the developers rip the soul out of another cool place. It's happening on our little island, too.
You are thinking of the Arnold dock which is a bit north-east of where the picture was taken - I think the picture was taken from the Star dock (they have the ferrys with the stupid fake "rooster tail") and shows the Sheppler dock. The buildings on the Arnold dock were still there last July.

Last edited:
Michigan Shoreline second to none

IMG_0477_zps78103ccf.jpg

You are thinking of the Arnold dock which is a bit north-east of where the picture was taken - I think the picture was taken from the Star dock (they have the ferrys with the stupid fake "rooster tail") and shows the Sheppler dock. The buildings on the Arnold dock were still there last July.
Thank you! Glad to hear it!

Looks like Harbor Springs KMGN, near Petoskey.

Give that man a Charoot! Little Traverse Bay near Harbor Spring...you can see the Harbor Springs airport.

Give that man a Charoot! Little Traverse Bay near Harbor Spring...you can see the Harbor Springs airport.
I fly to the Traverse City area frequently and have landed at Harbor Springs several times. Northwest lower Michigan is a very beautiful area, almost as nice as Upper Michigan.

Back