2014 6Y9 Fly-in

Sorry to hear that Kent.
Always family first as it should be.
Safe Travels
Brad

Ok we are in Rockford IL for the night. On to Sidnaw in the morning
Tomorrow looks better for the trip than the 48 hour surface analysis predicts Friday morning will be. Unfortunately, it'll be difficult for us to leave before Friday morning! :(

Friday afternoon is looking a little better. What is your flight time? About 3 hours?

Friday afternoon is looking a little better. What is your flight time? About 3 hours?
About 2.5 hrs to fly, but an all day drive, if we choose that route. I'm actually playing with the idea of leaving after work on Thursday. We don't have any lodging arranged for Thursday night, but I trust that wouldn't be a problem.

We have a wedding in Oshkosh at noon Sunday, but they know that we're flying and that it's weather dependent.

Oh, for anyone leaving on Monday, be aware of a VIP TFR in Milwaukee and/or Madison! Don't know if it a 30nm Presidential or 3nm demi-god.

VIP Notice- Milwaukee, WI
Notice Number: NOTC5536

Notice: Expect VIP movement September 01, 2014 in the vicinity of Milwaukee, WI. Pilots can expect airspace restrictions in conjunction with this VIP movement. The FAA recommends that all aircraft operators check NOTAMs OFTEN for mandatory airspace restrictions prior to operations within this region

VIP Notice- Madison, WI (09/01)
Notice Number: NOTC5531

Notice: Expect VIP movement September 1, 2014 in the vicinity of Madison, WI. Pilots can expect airspace restrictions in conjunction with this VIP movement. The FAA recommends that all aircraft operators check NOTAMs OFTEN for mandatory airspace restrictions prior to operations within this region.

Last edited:
Yep, the local news has Obama in Milwaukee on Labor Day Monday. The exact hours not known at this time.

Still working out some bugs in the schedule for this weekend, the Warrior is fueled up & ready.

Anybody got an estimated headcount for the Friday potluck? I'm firming up menu ideas.....

Anybody got an estimated headcount for the Friday potluck? I'm firming up menu ideas.....
Diz says 11 for sure Friday PM, planning on 15-20. She has 21 chicken breasts. Maybes include EdFred (Mx), JoeSelch, Steingar, MikeA, local couple.

Good to know about the headcount, and chicken. Will focus on something to accompany that.

Put me on the weather permitting list. I think all other obstacles have been overcome.

But don't count on me getting there in time for a Friday potluck - I fly at Cub speeds...

I hope I don't jinx this by jumping in so early.

I'm a bring my own to grill Friday.
If I can get in ... wx.
No chance of busting out of here today or early Friday ... work.

Capt. - I hope we both make it. It'd be nice to finally meet you - even if we have to traverse the state to do it!

We're going to drive up tonight, probably getting in around midnight local. I've left a message to see if we can get into the cabin early.

Aviation Forecast Discussion for Marquette (U.P.):
(EXTRACTED FROM FXUS63 KMQT 281746)
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI
146 PM EDT THU AUG 28 2014 (FOR THE 18Z TAFS THROUGH 18Z FRIDAY AFTERNOON)
ISSUED AT 145 PM EDT THU AUG 28 2014
VFR CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED INTO LATE TONIGHT WITH LOW-END VFR DIURNAL CUMULUS DISSIPATING BY 00Z. LOW PRESSURE APPROACHING FROM THE SW WILL BRING RAIN AND QUICKLY LOWER CIGS LATE TONIGHT FOR ALL SITES. IFR CIGS ARE EXPECTED FOR SAW AND CMX...WITH NEAR IFR CONDITIONS FOR IWD...BY 15Z FRIDAY. GIVEN UPSLOPE ASSISTANCE WITH SSE FLOW...CIGS AT SAW AND CMX MAY FALL BELOW ALTERNATE LANDING MINS. AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF SUB-IFR CIGS IS THEN EXPECTED TO CONTINUE INTO SATURDAY

And Green Bay (Northern WI):

(EXTRACTED FROM FXUS63 KGRB 281814)
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREEN BAY WI
114 PM CDT THU AUG 28 2014
FOR 18Z TAF ISSUANCE ISSUED AT 110 PM CDT THU AUG 28 2014
LOW CLOUDS AND FOG DEVELOPED OVERNIGHT ACROSS PARTS OF THE AREA AND THE LOW CLOUDS REMAINED IN CENTRAL WISCONSIN AS OF 1730Z. EXPECT THESE TO BREAK UP DURING THE AFTERNOON...LEAVING JUST MID AND HIGH CLOUDS UNTIL RAIN MOVES INTO AND SPREADS ACROSS THE AREA. CIGS AND VSBYS SHOULD THEN BE MAINLY MVFR WITH SCATTERED IFR IN HEAVIER RAIN SHOWERS...AND SOME THUNDER LATER TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

I should have known to wait before saying anything...

From the SAW TAF "FM291400 16009KT 5SM -RA BR OVC006 AMD LTD TO CLD VIS AND WIND 2902/2910"

What does "AMD LTD TO CLD VIS AND WIND 2902/2910" translate to?

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KLNL 291255Z AUTO 15005KT 3SM -RA OVC004 15/14 A2995 RMK AO2 T01450141

Sorry if I screwed up the weather for everyone else.

I'm out.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KLNL 291255Z AUTO 15005KT 3SM -RA OVC004 15/14 A2995 RMK AO2 T01450141

I'm out.
[/FONT]

OVC004? What's the problem? Barb usually has to CLIMB to that altitude so she can enter the pattern.

I'm out.
[/FONT]
You could drive it in about 9 hours, 10 tops. What's the problem?

Sorry about this guys, but I'm in Marquette with Gary. He's all alone, so I decided to stay in his place tonight. I expect to ride there tomorrow morning. Sounds like I'm about an hour away. I look forward to seeing all.

Just curious: What is/was the evolution of this fly-in?

Is it just for POA people? Why Sidnaw, MI?

Sorry about this guys, but I'm in Marquette with Gary. He's all alone, so I decided to stay in his place tonight. I expect to ride there tomorrow morning. Sounds like I'm about an hour away. I look forward to seeing all.

Looking ForWard To Seeing You! had a great time hanging around the piano and guitar!

does that mean you are out?

And by the dawn's early TAFs enroute and otherwise ... yes. :(

I hope you guys are having a great time. Very sad to learn there was a piano and guitar. :sad:

KSAW
Reported: August 30, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Valid: August 30, 2014 at 2:00 AM - August 31, 2014 at 2:00 AM
From 2:00 AM: Wind 210° at 7 kt, Visibility 5 sm, Light Rain Showers, Mist, Overcast 4000' (VFR)
From 4:00 AM: Wind 360° at 3 kt, Visibility 1 sm, Light Rain Showers, Mist, Overcast 300' (LIFR)
From 2:00 PM: Wind 360° at 8 kt, Visibility 5 sm, Mist, Overcast 700' (IFR)
From 5:00 PM: Wind 360° at 7 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Overcast 1500' (MVFR)
From 9:00 PM: Wind 350° at 5 kt, Visibility 4 sm, Mist, Overcast 800' (IFR)

Y'all have fun!

Jay, I was going to post the origin of the flyin by Chris posted Ed's thread that describes it. I will tell you this, it is not just for POA but a majority of those that attend are POAers. The Fredericks don't own the strip but they may as well they put so much work into it.

I'll also tell you this. It is perhaps one of the best times I've ever had at a flyin! Great friends, Great hospitality, and Great times! Wish I could be there this year but family issues have conspired to keep me away. Can't wait to get back.

The Fredericks don't own the strip but they may as well they put so much work into it.

Technically correct. It's owned by the SOUTHERN HOUGHTON COUNTY AIRPORT & HERITAGE ASSOCIATION.

I think if you check the charter of this association you'll find a lot of last names that start with "F" and the mailing addresses just might be the same.

Not being a smart ass...serious question.

How does someone who's been here since 2008 and has over 8,000 posts not know this?

I really blew me away that you asked.

Steingar just left my place. He should arrive there around noon. I will try to get out there for a visit today or tomorrow.

Not being a smart ass...serious question.

How does someone who's been here since 2008 and has over 8,000 posts not know this?

I really blew me away that you asked.
A failing on my part, I guess. I tend to tune out stuff that is over a thousand miles away.

Of course, I didn't know I had 8,000+ posts, either. Damn, I've wasted a lot of time here! :)

Steingar just left my place. He should arrive there around noon. I will try to get out there for a visit today or tomorrow.
StEinger Is Here. Mikea Just Left. Bruce Is On His Way. We'll Head to Hoppys Around 7PM.

Back