2014 6Y9 Fly-in

JoeSelch

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JoeSelch
Sure, a few of you are at OSH ... but it's 30 days until 6Y9 2014! :)

Looks like the website has been updated. The 2014 flyer is available for download and posting at your home 'drome & other fine aviation establishments.

So, who's planning to hang out on the front porch of aviation this Labor Day weekend?

(Ed, I'll leave it to you to make The Table, since I wouldn't want to screw it up ;) )

MTA:
Sign-up list is here: 6y9.sidnaw.org/attendees.php

Attachments

• 6Y9_2009_FrontPorch-800.jpg
    6Y9_2009_FrontPorch-800.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sure, a few of you are at OSH ... but it's 30 days until 6Y9 2014! :)

Looks like the website has been updated. The 2014 flyer is available for download and posting at your home 'drome & other fine aviation establishments.

So, who's planning to hang out on the front porch of aviation this Labor Day weekend?

I'll be there....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I should add that the town has been "updated" too.

The café is under new ownership as is the gas station. The latter currently adding a restaurant/bar.

Also, for those campers who may need groceries, that store has new owners too. ALL have done/are doing a great job.

Ain't gonna make it this year. First grand baby is due the week before so mamma ain't going nowhere and if I thought about coming solo during "that big event"...well...I might be transferred to the tenor section of the choir!

It's not possible.

You just gonna show up unannounced again this year, a-hole? :)

It's not possible.

What's it to you since you aren't going to bother to be there? Ya shoulda flown up to Oregon like I did in June and learned a bit from Bob B.

any news about the cabins at the gas station we are still planning to drive

Absolutely must be back at a certain time and date. No time to spare going by air.

It's not possible.

Oh, man, Clark...

I am so sorry for the false accusation.

I forgot.

You indeed announced your arrival on downwind.

Please accept my sincere apology.

:rofl:

I was looking through the pictures from 2009 (the last year we were able to attend) and man do I miss that place! Hopefully in a couple of years when the kids are big enough to handle a trip like that we can head back nort' for the weekend.

Hope so, Chris! I'd love to see you and Rachel again, and meet the kids. :cool:

I have been to 6Y9 a few times, not during the big event though. If one only can do a Sunday arrival, how would that pan out? I'd like to do the Hoppys excursion on Sat though, may need a designated driver for that one.

OBTW, my Grandmother used to work in that brick school building next to the runway. I would play in the gym at times when there for various reasons, back in the 70's. Her name was Eleanor(RIP).

I'm working on a Sat arrival. It would be nice if the weather cooperates.

Last edited:
It's 700 nm by the most direct route for me, straight across the Ontario wilderness and Georgian Bay. Unfortunately no fuel stops along that route. So I'd have to plan a stop in my home state, probably at KBAX. It would be a fun flight.

The bigger problem is no time to spare, classes will have already started. So I'm out for this year. :(

(Actually, I think my current employer always starts classes before Labor Day, so I may never be able to make the fly-in. But I'll try to take a trip over there next year during the summer, if possible.)

I have been to 6Y9 a few times, not during the big event though. If one only can do a Sunday arrival, how would that pan out? I'd like to do the Hoppys excursion on Sat though, may need a designated driver for that one.

OBTW, my Grandmother used to work in that brick school building next to the runway. I would play in the gym at times when there for various reasons, back in the 70's. Her name was Eleanor(RIP).

That's pretty cool. You should contact Brad and Ed and let them know of your connection to the school. At one point they were trying to fix it up. I think they have a 'historical society' group up there that has done a pretty good job of keeping track of some of the artifacts from the area.

The plan is to bring up the bike.
Will you be traveling through Marquette or another route. I'm trying to decide between riding my Harley, or Chevy truck or flying my DA40. I might be more likely to take the bike if I have a riding buddy.

Will you be traveling through Marquette or another route. I'm trying to decide between riding my Harley, or Chevy truck or flying my DA40. I might be more likely to take the bike if I have a riding buddy.

Haven't yet decided on a route, but if you're not too far out of the way I'd be happy to stop by (assuming I can make it in time).

Lodging secured

Secured where, Sidnaw? Would that be secured in a tent or that old school building? There aren't a whole lot of choices beyond that.

I know a camp with room, but it's about 12 miles away.

I'm working on a Sat arrival. It would be nice if the weather cooperates.

Email me directly and I can answer some of your questions.

Secured where, Sidnaw? Would that be secured in a tent or that old school building? There aren't a whole lot of choices beyond that.

I know a camp with room, but it's about 12 miles away.

There is a cabin at the gas station adjacent to the field, Wife and I stayed in the school last year.

That is a fact. I do not do well with the heat but it has hardly felt like Summer in Ohio. Got a little warm over the weekend camping but that's about it.

Back