2013 flying year in review

Got back in the cockpit mid-August, have flown about 40hrs since then. Still haven't knocked out my IPC yet.

This was a great year for me in flying. Got my first other person interessted in flying. Went to another airport and actually got out of the plane for the first time this past year. Logged about 5 hours in a G1000 182 and am close to getting my high performance endorsement out of it.

But honestly, if I accomplished nothing of note in flying this year, as long as I'm flying, it will be a good year!

Knocked a big item off my bucket list fkying to Alaska up the inside passage. Flew non stop from Washington to Ketchikan. :D

Highly recommended. ;)

Flew about 60 hours this year
Made the trip to 6Y9, "a highlight of the year"
Installed a preheater on the Arrow
Owner assisted annual
Took a couple new pilots flying
Had the Spring cookout at my hangar KMGY (25 souls and 9 aircraft)
Made it to a couple mid-west fly-ins
Made lots of new POA friends

Knocked a big item off my bucket list fkying to Alaska up the inside passage. Flew non stop from Washington to Ketchikan. :D

Highly recommended. ;)

hhmmm, pics of said adventure? I search for a thread but didn't see one.

The AK trip is on my bucket list for sure. Tiffany, you should plan for the cookout at KMGY this spring.

One of us will be planning a fly-in to Ricks Boat House after the first of the year. Was going to shoot for this month but there is just too darn much to do. We even have a promise from Tim W to fly the 182 to Ricks for the event.

1. First trip to Oshkosh. Camped in Scholler and had an amazing time. The sense of community there was completely unexpected and a major part of our enjoyment.

2. Started flying again after 2 years away. :) :) :)

3. BFR.

4. Tailwheel endorsement in 7AC Champ. 40I is an amazing place to fly.

5. Spin training. Can't recommend this enough to anyone who, like me, was still not comfortable with stalls. I could execute them, but I was scared the whole time. Spinning was fun, and has removed that mental block.

The AK trip is on my bucket list for sure. Tiffany, you should plan for the cookout at KMGY this spring.

One of us will be planning a fly-in to Ricks Boat House after the first of the year. Was going to shoot for this month but there is just too darn much to do. We even have a promise from Tim W to fly the 182 to Ricks for the event.

We will definitely attend! Mike and I learned to fly at KISZ (may it rest in peace) with Blue Ash Aviation-- really wonderful folks who are also at KMGY now.

Will you post something on the POA board when you have it?

When ever something is planned a thread will be started to keep track of who can and cannot attend and also for cancellations due to weather. When a thread is started I usually subscribe to it so I don't loose track. When I had the cookout last year I had it late April and had a blast. Some locals made themselves available to ferry people to the Air Force Museum and back for those that wanted to go.

When ever something is planned a thread will be started to keep track of who can and cannot attend and also for cancellations due to weather. When a thread is started I usually subscribe to it so I don't loose track. When I had the cookout last year I had it late April and had a blast. Some locals made themselves available to ferry people to the Air Force Museum and back for those that wanted to go.

The only way the air force museum could possibly be better is if you could fly in.

Agreed !!! Saw on the News that the 4th hanger construction will start in the near future.

Agreed !!! Saw on the News that the 4th hanger construction will start in the near future.

Surprising given the sequestration and the fact that you can't get to the Presidential hangar as it is.

Thats what we were thinking as well but there was a big spot on the local news about it last night.

My highlights:

• Earned PP-ASEL the day before my birthday
  • Went on some nice short cross-country trips, including an awesome trip up to Port Clinton on Lake Erie
  • Took my dad on a few flights
  • Took a friend who hopes to one day get back to flight training (he started in AK, lucky dog...) on some flights, including one to photograph the house he's having built!
  • Went on a nice night flight with Tim in his sweet Arrow
  • And lastly, signed up for instrument training as of yesterday!
Hoping next year will be equally awesome.

Edited to add:

• Visited the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patt and toured the Presidential hangar
  • Got my first "mountain" experience in the Appalachians in southeast Virginia :yikes:

Last edited:
Great AJ, Instrument is a wonderful challenge, and oh so rewarding to have.

Stopped at the Air Force museum ,on the back from OSH. Had a pilot with me who had never been there. Right away he gave a donation and joined as a member. Can't wait for the new hangar.

We will definitely attend! Mike and I learned to fly at KISZ (may it rest in peace) with Blue Ash Aviation-- really wonderful folks who are also at KMGY now.

Will you post something on the POA board when you have it?

Shucks Tiffany :redface:

-Flew about 250 hours 1/2013 to date
-Added the CFII on to my Flight Instructor certificate
-Picked up a part-time corporate gig in a 182

hhmmm, pics of said adventure? I search for a thread but didn't see one.

That one might have to go on my bucket list...

Here ya go! :D

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60552

Here is the money shot.

Alaska.JPG

Last edited:
wow, that's awesome!

I am definitely doing it again. :yes:

The raw beauty of Alaska just cannot be described with words or captured with pictures. You just have to see it up close to appreciate it.

Last edited:
Bought into a club/partnership in January
Earned my PPL in March
Drove to Sun N Fun, decided too much for new pilot
Flew from Florida to Ohio and back in a 172 in April
HP endorsement in June
Flew into two different Fly Ins in October
Started working on IFR, still a while to go
120 hours this year in three different planes

The raw beauty of Alaska just cannot be described with words or captured with pictures. You just have to see it up close to appreciate it.

Went there this past May for the first time. How right you are!

KMGY- Cookout with Tim and some other nice POA'ers.
SC00- Triple Tree, SC 7000' grass, camped with family.
2I3- Rough River State Park, Ky.
A few hamburger runs and some full gross profiiciency flights.
I know...pretty sad! It could be worse.

Second year in our homebuilt...25 hours. We wanted to fly more but business/economy will have to turn around first. Food, clothing, shelter, savings, hangar rent, insurance, then 100LL with what is left. Looking forward to a big trip out West someday.

First post here...but,

Finished my private pilot training, busted a checkride with a jerk DPE, planes magneto went out, plane had to get an annual, couldn't finish remedial training thanks to aircraft having to go through extensive maintenance, moved back to college, found a new flight club, took checkride with one of the nicest people I've ever met, became a pilot!

Fun year. Definitely something I won't forget for a long, long time.

Good year for me:

Got my FAA medical (anyone that has read medical posts know what I went through to get to that point. Luckily, found a great AME who was a great consultant as well)
Met Doc Bruce
Passed knowledge test
Got my FAA license (BFR and Canadian PPL conversion)
100 hours logged this year so far
Took my son flying. First passenger in 34 years.
Visited my daughter in St Louis for an $896 lunch
Oshkosh first time
Complex endorsement
Flew on vacation in Hawaii, California, and Florida
Started my IR
Started my son in his pilot journey
Got a simulator
Broke 200 hours
High performance endorsement maybe this month?

Added high performance endorsement today

First post here...but,

Finished my private pilot training, busted a checkride with a jerk DPE, planes magneto went out, plane had to get an annual, couldn't finish remedial training thanks to aircraft having to go through extensive maintenance, moved back to college, found a new flight club, took checkride with one of the nicest people I've ever met, became a pilot!

Congratulations on your PPL. Welcome aboard. Before long, you too will learn about everything there is to know on here. It is a lot of fun, just like flying.

Congrats!!

First post here...but,

I am new to posting here but seeing other Ohio pilots here gives me hope to make new friends. This was a slow year for me because I went back to school and now at 49, am officially 1/2 way to getting my MBA. Homework keeps me from flying as much as I like, but it will be done in 9 months and I can get back to doing my favorite thing.

I did accomplish a couple of things including surpassing 1,000 hrs. in my logbook, 99.9% of which is in C150 and C172's. Also, as of yesterday I have moved into a closed hangar for the first time. :yes:

My buddy in his 152 and I in my 172 love to fly our planes all over and are always looking for new destinations. We've been as north as Put in Bay and as south as Rough River in 2013.

A very satisfying year for me... started PPL training in January, passed my written with a 95, bought my gorgeous Tiger in NY state and flew her home with a CFI in July, passed my checkride in August.

Now enjoying my bird and waiting for my hubby to finish his training so we can have a true partnership in the air!

This was my flying this last (two) years:
GEDC1491.JPG

But now that is done. And I have a shop I can work in - even when it rains.

I did get a fair amount of work done on the airplane as well. Probably spent more time working on it than I did flying it. But when you buy the cheapest airplane you can find, then you can't expect perfection. Just keep chipping away at it.

Put 70 hours in the logbook, this year, not bad for not getting a start until january.

Upgraded from a Recreational certificate to a Private, and starting my Instrument in January.

Back