2011 Attendee List

I think Kimberly is entitled to a hay ride as a reward for passing her checkride. If you give me a part number I might be able to get a bearing and bring it Thursday.

Actually I was hoping to drive the vehicle and not be a passenger (I know, not going to happen, a girl can dream).

Someone help me out here. What is the attraction there that will make a 1000 nm trip worthwhile? How far are most of you traveling?

It *would* have been ~800nm one way for me. :mad2:

I've been there three times previously and I can't quite put a finger on what makes me want to go back, but I always do!

Actually I was hoping to drive the vehicle and not be a passenger (I know, not going to happen, a girl can dream).
That's good because they don't need to fix the wagon now. Ask Ed Fred if you can drive the tractor.

I drive a stick shift (always have). Between cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, and now planes - how hard could it be?

Regardless, I don't expect them to hand over the keys. We'll see what happens.

I drive a stick shift (always have). Between cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, and now planes - how hard could it be?

Regardless, I don't expect them to hand over the keys. We'll see what happens.
If you are not careful you might get stuck mowing 6Y9.

Dad doesn't let anyone drive his tractor.

For sure-- the only one that drives "that" tractor is Brad.

Travel time for me is now: 8 hrs one way in truck.

Hauling: bearings and tires for the hay wagon. One of the pilots has graciously donated time and energy to help get the wagon fixed. The plan is to get the wagon up and running again.

Arrangements for "pick up" have not yet been made however, in the event that there is a repeat performance of the last ride :)

You know I was not serious!
I might bring my Jeep Wrangler up Friday. If I do you can drive it as long as one of the local hosts is willing to be a guide. You can get really lost up here and GPS maps usually don't include the logging roads.

I might bring my Jeep Wrangler up Friday. If I do you can drive it as long as one of the local hosts is willing to be a guide. You can get really lost up here and GPS maps usually don't include the logging roads.

You haven't even met me and you're offering the keys to an awesome car? I am going to be very "culture shocked" in Michigan, I can already tell. Here in CA we are not used to such kindness.

We'll see... sounds like fun...... thank you!

You haven't even met me and you're offering the keys to an awesome car? I am going to be very "culture shocked" in Michigan, I can already tell. Here in CA we are not used to such kindness.

We'll see... sounds like fun...... thank you!
For the day, I gotta be back at work Saturday. Since you are an official FAA certified pilot I should be able to trst you with a Jeep. My TJ is nothing fancy, 5 speed, soft top but it also has a winch. I am not familiar with the roads near 6Y9 but there are plenty of logging trails in my part of the UP. I think EdFred can tell you if there is an interesting place to visit near 6Y9. Unfortunately, the Baraga ORV trails are limited to vehicles less than 50" so nothing larger than an ATV there.

For the day, I gotta be back at work Saturday. Since you are an official FAA certified pilot I should be able to trst you with a Jeep. My TJ is nothing fancy, 5 speed, soft top but it also has a winch. I am not familiar with the roads near 6Y9 but there are plenty of logging trails in my part of the UP. I think EdFred can tell you if there is an interesting place to visit near 6Y9. Unfortunately, the Baraga ORV trails are limited to vehicles less than 50" so nothing larger than an ATV there.

Friday only? Not sure what day / time we will arrive (that is up to EdFred).

If it works out - great! Never had anyone say "well, if you can fly a plane, you should be able to xyz." Kind of cool to hear that.

Friday only? Not sure what day / time we will arrive (that is up to EdFred).

If it works out - great! Never had anyone say "well, if you can fly a plane, you should be able to xyz." Kind of cool to hear that.
You can get stuck, really stuck or lost. That's why you would need EdFred or another one of his family members to be a guide to keep you out of trouble. I am not sure if there are any good jeep trails or if they would be willing to ride shotgun with you. See what Ed says.

You can get stuck, really stuck or lost. That's why you would need EdFred or another one of his family members to be a guide to keep you out of trouble. I am not sure if there are any good jeep trails or if they would be willing to ride shotgun with you. See what Ed says.

First, nobody will climb into a plane with me. Now, nobody will climb into a Jeep with me!

Gotta run, see you (hopefully) at 6Y9. Looking forward to it.

Well, Mark Bell tossed me, my wife, and Sharon Bockelman the keys to his truck at Gaston's one year so we could head into town. So yes, it does happen. Maybe it helps that she's a minister? And I'd be willing to jump into a Jeep with Kimberly. Of course, I have a portable 406 in case she tries to take advantage of me.

Luckily, its signals can be foiled with a little ingenuity! :) :)

Ed knows some trails that are road-vehicle passable. Ask him about the 'Old Highway'.

There are TONS of trails in the area, but most of them are ATV-only.

Really bummed I'm not going to be there this year!! :mad2:

Hey Ed, are any of the "Hartford guys" coming up for the fly in?

P.S. I'm thinking of bringing my MTB. Anyopne up for some riding (non motorized)?

I don't know if they are or not. My mountain bike fits in the plane - barely. And with bringing the dog, and Kim, and gear, it won't be fitting. If you do bring your bike, I can let you know a good ride.

I don't know if they are or not. My mountain bike fits in the plane - barely. And with bringing the dog, and Kim, and gear, it won't be fitting. If you do bring your bike, I can let you know a good ride.

Cool I need to get a bit of trail riding in before the Fat Tire 40. BTW I managed to get my bike into the baggage compartment of the Archer a couple of times. I did have to take the wheels off, and collapse the seat though.

I just loaded my plane, it's stuffed. No MTB coming with me. I had it in the back of the truck just in case there was room...fat chance...fat tire...fat...well, it ain't comin'.

I'm glad no one took me up on my empty seat offer. Buddy and I are just about maxed out!

Me neither. No room at all, and can't take the extra weight anyway. Maybe I'll sweet talk Diz into letting me zip around on one of those four-wheelers.

I just loaded my plane, it's stuffed. No MTB coming with me. I had it in the back of the truck just in case there was room...fat chance...fat tire...fat...well, it ain't comin'.

I'm glad no one took me up on my empty seat offer. Buddy and I are just about maxed out!

Seriously? what the hell are you bringing? A 182 is the F250 of the GA world?

Seriously? what the hell are you bringing? A 182 is the F250 of the GA world?

220# of gear and an 80# German shepherd. We're going to be full...I'm going to be comfortable!

But remember...the old straight tails have a max of 3650#...200# less than later models. I'm right there at the max. I couldn't physically fit anymore though (and my backseat is out). Maybe it's time for the extended luggage STC!

220# of gear and an 80# German shepherd. We're going to be full...I'm going to be comfortable!

But remember...the old straight tails have a max of 3650#...200# less than later models. I'm right there at the max. I couldn't physically fit anymore though (and my backseat is out). Maybe it's time for the extended luggage STC!

Holy Cow! I wish my 182 could have a max of 3650#...

The straight tails are 300# lower than the P model? Ours is 2950# with an STC available to go up to 3100# MGTOW.

If your's is #2950 then yes...300#. Mine's 4" narrower also. Basically, my airframe dimensions are exactly the same as those of the '57 172 I used to own. Side by side you couldn't tell them apart except for the CS prop, intake/exhaust size & locations & a bit different design of the tail feathers.

Ahh makes sense. Weirdly, I've got a few hours in a '57 172. Johnson bar flaps were fun. Improperly maintained carb that stalled the engine at idle-cutoff at low airspeeds wasn't. :( ;)

I have a bunch of work obligations tomorrow. Will keep me grounded until Saturday. Hoping the wx will be a go. :-/

We tried. Made it up to Bay City (3CM), but no further do so storms and wx. Michigan has many, many beautiful spots. Bay City really isn't one of them. Got chased out of there this morning by storms. Sorry, not this year. We tried our best.

Last edited:
555 nm one way for me and I'll enjoy every mile of it.

Okay, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I enjoyed the trip up far more than the trip back since Buddy managed to get himself "skunked" about an hour before lift-off yesterday.

The plane may recover by next year.

Diz has photos of Buddy trying to deskunkify himself (to no avail) but I think she's staying in Sidnaw until later this week.

Ahhh, well, all a part of the adventure.

Last edited:
Okay, in the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I enjoyed the trip up far more than the trip back since Buddy managed to get himself "skunked" about an hour before lift-off yesterday.

The plane may recover by next year.

Diz has photos but I think she's staying in Sidnaw until later this week.

Ahhh, well, all a part of the adventure.

Tim, it was great to meet you and hear all your stories. Oh and that chili was very very good. It might be a day or two, but eventually I will post some more on POA - got some good photos of your 182A and of course Buddy the dog.

I don't know what I expected - but this trip far surpassed any expectations I had. It was my first time really getting to know pilots and how they view aviation and even how they fly in their own personal planes. Add to that the fact that I haven't been on vacation since 2005 and you get one heck of a memorable trip.

Thats great Kim! So glad you enjoyed yourself. 6Y9er and the flyins like it are what I think is the best part of POA! Looking forward to your pics hope you had a good flight home.

Thats great Kim! So glad you enjoyed yourself. 6Y9er and the flyins like it are what I think is the best part of POA! Looking forward to your pics hope you had a good flight home.

It would have been a better time if a certain pilot didn't keep picking his nose . . . .

Sorry I did not get to meet you. The time I had was just beyond amazing. When I get a second to catch my breath I will document more of the highlights.

Stories? I don't know what you're talking about. You must have me confused w/ Clark or Brad. It was definitely Clark if innuendos or vulgarities were involved.;)

Don't be silly - you shared plenty of good stories. From how Buddy learned to "respect" cars and trucks to aviation tales to everything else in between. You're a great story teller. Clark did share the innuendos at Hoppy's which was hilarious.

Back