2010 Roll Call!!

Anybody offered any other suggestions about what you can shove? or where?:rofl:

Good, if the aforementioned Baron owner isn't going that gives me another year to figure out how to shove 580s in my Aztec to keep up. :D

Looks like I will be coming after all. Now I just need a place to sleep. Really do not want to sleep in the C172.
This is of course based on weather. I need to be in MO Mon or Tue at the latest. So I might have to fly commercial if the weather is bad.
I am only a VFR pilot. So I only fly when there is no clouds in the sky and winds are less than 5. :D Wait that is a different thread.

Looks like I will be coming after all. Now I just need a place to sleep. Really do not want to sleep in the C172.
This is of course based on weather. I need to be in MO Mon or Tue at the latest. So I might have to fly commercial if the weather is bad.
I am only a VFR pilot. So I only fly when there is no clouds in the sky and winds are less than 5. :D Wait that is a different thread.

Where in MO? I mean, you could walk to MO from Gaston's, but it wouldn't be a very useful part of MO. ;)

Also, if push comes to shove there might be rental cars nearby. But I'd give you near 100% chances of making it where you need to be in MO by Tuesday. Even VFR. ;)

Where in MO? I mean, you could walk to MO from Gaston's, but it wouldn't be a very useful part of MO. ;)
KFES Close to Saint Louis

Also, if push comes to shove there might be rental cars nearby.
I will have a rental car anyways but it is a 5 hour drive to Gastons.
Someone did offer to pick me up if all else fails.

But I'd give you near 100% chances of making it where you need to be in MO by Tuesday. Even VFR. ;)
Even VFR :D

I don't know about Dr.Bruce, but he picked me up in St. Louis one time and gave me a lift to Gaston's. He might not have room I don't know, I can't speak for him. He is coming from Peoria, IL.

Is he qualified to carry passengers?

I don't know about Dr.Bruce, but he picked me up in St. Louis one time and gave me a lift to Gaston's. He might not have room I don't know, I can't speak for him. He is coming from Peoria, IL.

Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to see and hear Bob and Wayne in the same place at the same time. It is gonna be freakin' epic.

And they can tell all the lawyer jokes they want, it will be worth it.

The only reason I'm coming is so I can point at him when people ask "who's the old fart flying the shiny Cessna?"

Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to see and hear Bob and Wayne in the same place at the same time. It is gonna be freakin' epic.

And they can tell all the lawyer jokes they want, it will be worth it.

Shoe leather. Why is this breaded pork as tough as cold shoe leather?! Bob, we're looking forward to having you Saturday night.

Ibold is being a manly-man. He just can't commit.

Last edited:
Shoe leather. Why is this breaded pork as tough as cold shoe leather?!

Because it's Gaston's "prime" grade. You don't want to see their "choice" stuff.

Shoe leather. Why is this breaded pork as tough as cold shoe leather?! Bob, we're looking forward to having you Saturday night.

Ibold is being a manly-man. He just can't commit.

I am looking forward to Sat. when you and Sue get to Gaston's.

Mae and I will be there with a new member of the family - our 8 month old Anne Marie. This will be Anne Marie's first x-country! Never too early to log time!

Beau Snowden

Awesome Beau! Can't wait to meet the entire family. What will you be flying? Looks like a Cherokee or Dakota?

Great!

This will help balance the demographics of the group....:rofl:

Mae and I will be there with a new member of the family - our 8 month old Anne Marie. This will be Anne Marie's first x-country! Never too early to log time!

Beau Snowden

It's a 1966 Cherokee 180c. We took Anne Marie up for her first flight this weekend to see if enjoyed it. I am happy to report she enjoyed herself and had no problems. The test flight was only 30 minutes but I think we should be alright for the 1.5 hour flight. She will probably just fall asleep in her child seat.

How does Anne Marie tolerate being held and patted by older folks?

It's a 1966 Cherokee 180c. We took Anne Marie up for her first flight this weekend to see if enjoyed it. I am happy to report she enjoyed herself and had no problems. The test flight was only 30 minutes but I think we should be alright for the 1.5 hour flight. She will probably just fall asleep in her child seat.

Troy... Anne Marie is 8 months old... don't think she is quite up for a hot dog with either ketchup OR mustard. Ketchup is a travesty on a hot dog anyway... everyone knows the only condiments that should be available for that are mustard, relish, onions, celery salt, and hot peppers if you like those. Geezzz!!

Troy... Anne Marie is 8 months old... don't think she is quite up for a hot dog with either ketchup OR mustard. Ketchup is a travesty on a hot dog anyway... everyone knows the only condiments that should be available for that are mustard, relish, onions, celery salt, and hot peppers if you like those. Geezzz!!
Thank you! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

:rofl:

And KETCHUP
Should I stop at Wallmart and bring a gallon

Last edited:
Well, you just passed every entrance exam question I have. Welcome to the club. :D

Yeah, I KNOW!!! That's why I said "I prefer mustard!!" :eek:

What are you, some kind of vegetarian? ;) :D

But I'd give you near 100% chances of making it where you need to be in MO by Tuesday. Even VFR. ;)

Have you looked at the forecast for MSP? for Mon/Tue? Want to change the 100% thing yet.

I have some homemade zucchini relish that my wife made should I bring some of that for the dogs?:smile:

Yes, and how does she like dogs?? :smile:

She loves dogs! Anne Marie is use to curling up with Sampson the golden retriever on the bed. As for older folks, she loves them to. The grandparents and great grandparents have been passing her around since day one.

I am actually counting on Anne Marie's incredible cuteness to have volunteers lined up to play with her!!!!!

Have you looked at the forecast for MSP? for Mon/Tue? Want to change the 100% thing yet.

Nope. Any forecast that's out that far in advance is utterly worthless. I don't fly in a forecast, I fly in the actual sky, which is generally better than the forecast. Also, the only fixed point is the point of departure. For practicality's sake, you can consider the destination fixed. Everything in between is flexible, and the longer the distance between departure and destination, the farther out of the way you can go and not add significantly to the trip length.

I have some homemade zucchini relish that my wife made should I bring some of that for the dogs?:smile:
Oh, I had a passenger who happened to leave some homemade zucchini relish in the plane after she departed. MAN, is that stuff good! :yes: She said that it's really good on the dogs!:aureola:

Nope. Any forecast that's out that far in advance is utterly worthless. I don't fly in a forecast, I fly in the actual sky, which is generally better than the forecast. Also, the only fixed point is the point of departure. For practicality's sake, you can consider the destination fixed. Everything in between is flexible, and the longer the distance between departure and destination, the farther out of the way you can go and not add significantly to the trip length.

I agree the forecast is to far out to trust. Even 3 days is to much. But at 3 days the cost of flying commercial is starting to go up.
I would prefer my 440 mile trip not turn into a 8 hour flight.:smile:
Current plan is to look at weather Sunday when I get home possible leave then. If not sunday night look at weather monday. Worst case call Southwest and book a flight.
Not going to let getheritis make me fly in weather I do not feel safe in.

the longer the distance between departure and destination, the farther out of the way you can go and not add significantly to the trip length.

Just decided to do some calculations to demonstrate this. Let's say you go 1/4 of the route length out of the way, ie on a 100nm trip you go to a spot 25nm off the direct course in the middle. That's pretty far out of the way, enough to get around a fair amount of weather, but it adds only 12% distance to the trip. Going 10nm out of the way per 100nm of direct distance only increases the distance actually traveled by 2%. From 3M0 to KSTL is 178nm. Assuming a groundspeed of 100 knots, that's 1.8 hours. If you go 45nm off course, it'd be a total of 21nm extra, or 0.2 on the Hobbs. If you go 18nm off course, it'd be about 3.5nm extra, almost negligible on the Hobbs.

If not sunday night look at weather monday. Worst case call Southwest and book a flight.
Not going to let getheritis make me fly in weather I do not feel safe in.

Sounds like a good plan to me! I've had great success in completing longer missions, even VFR, but one of the ways I do this is to NEVER cancel a flight until the day of. Forecasts tend to always be pessimistic, and with good reason (better to be prepared for bad wx and have it be good than vice versa) so you'll miss a lot of flights if you cancel early.

5 Gaston's, 3 FlyBQ's, 4 6Y9's, and trips to Texas and California from Wisconsin, and I haven't missed one due to weather yet. :)

5 Gaston's, 3 FlyBQ's, 4 6Y9's, and trips to Texas and California from Wisconsin, and I haven't missed one due to weather yet. :)

2w4z0xd.jpg

Back