2010 AOPA Sweepstakes Plane

The crowds reaction before = :rolleyes: :blush:

When they see it = :frown2:

And the rest of the year = :sleep:

Maybe instead of Remos it should be called Remorse ( that you even entered the sweepstakes)
Well I guess almost anything that flies would be better than nothing, I kinda liked the older planes they refurbed, something people could afford the taxes on if they won it.OMHO

Why is everyone so against the Remos for the sweepstakes plane. At least AOPA had the brains to go with a proven LSA, rather than trying to give away a Skycatcher.

Why is everyone so against the Remos for the sweepstakes plane. At least AOPA had the brains to go with a proven LSA, rather than trying to give away a Skycatcher.

Why LSA?
Find a Old Piper Dakota and put a Garmin 500 in it with an STEC Autopilot !!! 3 Blade Prop, Turbo the engine and paint.

Cheaper than a $150K LSA that can't haul crap.

Yeah That was a little harsh on Remos. It might be a fun toy.
If you won a Skycatcher it would be like ---like ---,well a "test pilot" for the first chinese built Yak, I'd still be a tad nervous,me thinks.
Well maybe thats harsh on Cessna, I'd feel better if they both had low wings:rolleyes:

Why LSA?
Find a Old Piper Dakota and put a Garmin 500 in it with an STEC Autopilot !!! 3 Blade Prop, Turbo the engine and paint.

Cheaper than a $150K LSA that can't haul crap.

Also requires a medical to fly. At some point, AOPA came to the realization that to get new people into flying, they are going to need young members. Young people typically want something that looks/is new. What a better way to do it than a new airplane.

The one AOPA plane I really wanted was thwe WACO they did a few years back. I would have done my damnedest to try to pay the taxes on it.

The LSA is a nice idea, but is somewhat underwhelming.

Now If they were to raffle off an Antares 20...

Probably because there are a bunch of dealers with inventory they can't get rid of. So they give one away and write it off as a loss/gift/advertising expense or whatever.

Last edited:
The crowds reaction before = :rolleyes: :blush:

When they see it = :frown2:

And the rest of the year = :sleep:

I'll take door #3, Monte...

monty.gif

Trapper John

While it doesn't do anything for me, there is some wisdom in diversifying their offerings to appeal to a diverse membership.

Is it me, or does the AOPA's Pilot magazine seem to be leaning more and more towards the "Flying" magazine crowd. Where to have any interest in the content, you either have to own a twin/turboprop/light jet, or have a single with a panel whose price tag compares favorably with most 3 bedroom houses????

If you want to talk about the New in Aviation whatever you talk about will be expensive. And just how many stories do you want to read about refurbished antiques?

I like them myself, but (a) they can grow stale after awhile and (b) AOPA serves a diverse audience. There may be plenty of pilots who would rather not read endless prose about yesterday's aluminum.

Last edited:
As a Sport Pilot, I am happy about this. The Remos is a GREAT LSA, with better useful load than most two seat planes. It ain't a T210P, but anybody can fly it and it's a very capable and modern two seater.

As a Sport Pilot, I am happy about this. The Remos is a GREAT LSA, with better useful load than most two seat planes. It ain't a T210P, but anybody can fly it and it's a very capable and modern two seater.

At least they occasionally think about us little people.

But they could have picked one with the tailwheel on the right end.

Is it me, or does the AOPA's Pilot magazine seem to be leaning more and more towards the "Flying" magazine crowd. Where to have any interest in the content, you either have to own a twin/turboprop/light jet, or have a single with a panel whose price tag compares favorably with most 3 bedroom houses????

The past few years I found myself reading less and less of AOPA's Pilot mag. I haven't read one in over a year...hm, closer to two years. I don't miss the
mag at all.

Never flown a Remos but I understand the doors(tophinged) open in flight. If that is the case then it is an alright airplane in my book. Inflight doors are more fun than tailwheels.

Yawn.

I like the Remos - basically because it is trailerable. That is a huge feature IMHO.

Other than that though, I think it's more fun to watch the refurbs. I was absolutely bored with watching the 2009 Cirrus flying around the states (via AOPA magazine). Mind you, I am not an AOPA hater, and I like reading the magazine.

Still, if they refurb'd a P210? An MU2, a T210, a 310, a 340, an Aerobat, a Pitts, a Lake (!) -- I'd be down with them. Remos? Eh.

I agree with you, it's fun to see them refurb the plane. To see the transformation. This is now year 2 of "plane is ready, we fly it around til we give it away". Not as much fun to read about.

I agree with you, it's fun to see them refurb the plane. To see the transformation. This is now year 2 of "plane is ready, we fly it around til we give it away". Not as much fun to read about.

I don't know, but I was getting sick of them stuffing every gadget known to man in an airplane. Perhaps I'd be more receptive of the refurb situation, if they did something that an intelligent person would do, rather than doing what Donald Trump would do. At least you know with the Remos, they didn't/can't kill the useful load, by filling it with said gadgets.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to, uh, disagree, with you.

I liked them stuffing the planes full of stuff. I don't think the useful load suffered in any of the planes they rebuilt. That 112 Commander had the worst load, but it started out as a 112, not like they had a lot to work with!!!

Back