2004 Honda Pilot SUV has a gearshift problem-gear is stuck in parking mode sometimes

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
For the past couple of months, I have been told that my family's 2004 Honda Pilot has a gear that is stuck in parking mode after starting the engine and won't move. This doesn't happen all of the time, and luckily we have a short term fix to it (I think this fix comes from the car manual or something).

I can usually tell the gear is stuck if the parking gear light isn't on.

So I know the short term fix to this problem, but I would like to know the cause of it and if there is a permanent solution to this gearshift stuck in parking mode.

Re: 2004 Honda Pilot SUV has a gearshift problem-gear is stuck in parking mode someti

For the past couple of months, I have been told that my family's 2004 Honda Pilot has a gear that is stuck in parking mode after starting the engine and won't move. This doesn't happen all of the time, and luckily we have a short term fix to it (I think this fix comes from the car manual or something).

I can usually tell the gear is stuck if the parking gear light isn't on.

So I know the short term fix to this problem, but I would like to know the cause of it and if there is a permanent solution to this gearshift stuck in parking mode.

I have replaced the shift lock solenoid on multiple honda SUVs. It's ontop of steering column next to gear shifter

Agreed. The description sounds like the solenoid that was added in the 90s to most vehicles that locks the shift lever physically in place whenever the lever is placed into Park and there is not a foot resting on the brake pedal.

Also make sure your brake lights are working. (Can be a broken brake pedal switch.)

You can usually hear these activate when you depress the brake pedal in Park and click again when you release.

Re: 2004 Honda Pilot SUV has a gearshift problem-gear is stuck in parking mode someti

Same issue here on the Accord my kid drives.

Agreed. Sounds like either the circuit (brake pedal and shift lever position are inputs) that release the lock or the solenoid (lock) itself is bad. Easy fix for a shop.

Next time this happens try pumping on the brakes several times to see if you can get it to release. Also when it's happening check to see if you have brake lights. If no lights and/or you can pump the pedal and get the shifter to release then you have a brake switch problem. If not it mat be the solenoid or wiring. In that case how are you with a multimeter?

Sorry, never had a Honda that was an automatic. Never had one break, either.

Sorry, never had a Honda that was an automatic. Never had one break, either.

Clutch interlocks work a similar way on manuals and also fail.

Clutch interlocks work a similar way on manuals and also fail.

Hasn't on any of my Honda bikes which between them have gone about 200,000 miles. My Wing has gone 86K in 30 years with no such issue and is still going quite strongly. I have to admit the Honda car is quite new (only our years old), so my experience with such is admittedly more limited.

What's this short term fix you are talking about? Would help us to diagnose the problem.

Sounds like shift lock interconnect, or could be a sticky linkage/cable problem.

I have an 04 MDX (share a lot of parts with the honda) and know of a common problem with these vehicles that might affect you in NJ. In states with a lot of salt on the roads in winter... The pivot bushing where the cable connects to the shift linkage on the transmission gets stuck, and the shifter is hard to move out of park and into other gears. You can get to this by turning the wheels all the way to the left, and moving back the front wheel well rubber splash guards with your hands. A good squirt of WD40 can be applied and that might free it up. To get it apart and clean/grease it, you'll need to pop a few of the plastic fasteners off to get the wheel well plastic out of the way enough to work on it.

39496d1221597544-stiff-shifter-img_5394.jpg

Last edited:

The short term fix to this problem is to:

1. Turn off the engine and take out the key
2. Use the screwdriver to open up the little compartment on top of the steering wheel column next to the gearshift handle
3. Insert the car key vertically into the little compartment while holding the brake
4. While the key is inside the compartment, move the gearshift handle down 2 notches to neutral gear
5. Take the key out and start the engine
6. Put the little piece for the little compartment back on top of the steering wheel column
7. Put the car in drive or in reverse

This is how one of my parents taught me this fix to it.

If that works every time, then your problem is a bad shift-lock interconnect. I haven't had to deal with this problem on my 2004 so I couldn't tell you how easy it is to fix, but in most vehicles its pretty simple.

Last edited:
Which nanny vehicles have clutch interlocks? ( someone mentioned it )

The only interlock I've ever seen on manual transmission vehicles is the clutch depressed switch for cranking the starter. And while I'm not a fan of the solenoid interlocks on automatics, I'm pretty sure the clutch depression switch is a good idea on my diesel truck.

Someone probably cranked one and drove it right through their garage door since once that diesel catches, you're not stopping it without standing on a brake pedal. Both 1st and reverse are so low-geared they'll win over your initial brake application until you romp on it.

On a gasser, you can stall the engine with the brake much easier while in gear.

Which nanny vehicles have clutch interlocks? ( someone mentioned it )

The only interlock I've ever seen on manual transmission vehicles is the clutch depressed switch for cranking the starter. And while I'm not a fan of the solenoid interlocks on automatics, I'm pretty sure the clutch depression switch is a good idea on my diesel truck.

Someone probably cranked one and drove it right through their garage door since once that diesel catches, you're not stopping it without standing on a brake pedal. Both 1st and reverse are so low-geared they'll win over your initial brake application until you romp on it.

On a gasser, you can stall the engine with the brake much easier while in gear.

Most all manuals do, including your diesel truck. The terms are different, but clutch depression switch as you called it the same as an interlock. Toyota and some others have a bypass switch on the trucks so you can start it in gear, clutch out, when on an incline (as you should). If you wanted to have the option it is easy to wire up.

Most all manuals do, including your diesel truck. The terms are different, but clutch depression switch as you called it the same as an interlock. Toyota and some others have a bypass switch on the trucks so you can start it in gear, clutch out, when on an incline (as you should). If you wanted to have the option it is easy to wire up.

I wouldn't call it an interlock for anything but the starter. It doesn't keep the thing OUT of gear like the automatics do, is what I'm saying.

It just locks out the starter solenoid. It doesn't do anything to the transmission or keeping the shifter in neutral during start.

I wouldn't call it an interlock for anything but the starter. It doesn't keep the thing OUT of gear like the automatics do, is what I'm saying.

It just locks out the starter solenoid. It doesn't do anything to the transmission or keeping the shifter in neutral during start.

On an automatic all it does is make sure you have the brake pedal pressed before you put it into gear. It does use a mechanical solenoid to prevent the shifter from putting it in gear though. I was only making the point that both are designed for the same thing making sure the vehicle doesn't move accidentally.

On an automatic all it does is make sure you have the brake pedal pressed before you put it into gear. It does use a mechanical solenoid to prevent the shifter from putting it in gear though. I was only making the point that both are designed for the same thing making sure the vehicle doesn't move accidentally.

Ah ok. The more common way for a manual to move accidentally is to leave it in neutral and get out. ;)

The starter lock out seems to be more a "keep a sleepy idiot from putting the truck through the garage door". A self-correcting problem really. You'd only do it once. ;)

Kevin, I have two MDX's I'm parting out..... let me know if you need any parts to fix your problem.

Ah ok. The more common way for a manual to move accidentally is to leave it in neutral and get out. ;)

The starter lock out seems to be more a "keep a sleepy idiot from putting the truck through the garage door". A self-correcting problem really. You'd only do it once. ;)

Lol, I actually likes that the jeep I used to drive didn't have a starter lock out. I won some money at school betting I could start the thing in gear. A bit abusive to the starter unless you used 4 low though.

Yeah, on my dodge they used a cable from the brake,

Great accept the tiny tab on the plastic lever likes to break off leaving you stuck in park.

Didn't take long for an aftermarket company to come up with an aluminum replacement. Better still it was $40 when I needed it as opposed to 100+ for a new shifter assembly!

Yeah, on my dodge they used a cable from the brake,

Great accept the tiny tab on the plastic lever likes to break off leaving you stuck in park.

Didn't take long for an aftermarket company to come up with an aluminum replacement. Better still it was $40 when I needed it as opposed to 100+ for a new shifter assembly!

Why fix it?

Seems like that would have been an excellent time to pull the cable out and stick a split nut on it to hold it pulled, and forget about it.

;)

Back