2 New Types today

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
a great day. I went up with my boss in a pressurized Skymaster, and i thought it was a great flying airplane. sports car like handling, really nimble, and stellar takeoff/landing performance. basically everything that I understood about the type was true.

Waiting for it to get dark for my night cross country student, the local Stearman/T-6 guy was hanging around. He said that since I had to wait there was no reason we should be on the ground so we hopped in the Stearman and took off. I was amazed at how EASY it was to fly. I had always imagined that since it was an old airplane it would be a challenge but it showed very little adverse yaw and seemed pretty stable! Owner flew some aerobatics and in general we had a total blast. definitely a great flying day!

Tony, with regard to the Stearman flight... you're gradually working your way toward the "You suck!" category. :D

I'm glad ya got to experience a grand old bird. Perhaps someday for myself...

Waiting for it to get dark for my night cross country student, the local Stearman/T-6 guy was hanging around. He said that since I had to wait there was no reason we should be on the ground so we hopped in the Stearman and took off. I was amazed at how EASY it was to fly. I had always imagined that since it was an old airplane it would be a challenge but it showed very little adverse yaw and seemed pretty stable! Owner flew some aerobatics and in general we had a total blast. definitely a great flying day!

The Stearman with the Continental 220 on it is a very capable and docile bird, very nicely balanced. The Stearman with a 985 on it, wow, still a sweet flying bird, but man, vertical penetration, speed & ROC, just...wow. Not a big gain on top speed though, maybe 10-15kts. Stearman with a 1340... remove the brakes from the airplane, because if you use them, you'll be on the nose. She'll haul 325 gallons off the ground though.

Tony, with regard to the Stearman flight... you're gradually working your way toward the "You suck!" category. :D

He already gets paid to fly a 421. That would put him in that category for me, were I the type to get jealous over the good fortune of others. :)

Sounds like a great day, Tony!

Ahh.. I saw someone out buzzing around in the Stearman yesterday afternoon as we were heading to Thiesen's for dog food.

You lucky dawg. Now if you actually convince him to do his CFI in the T-6, you will officially be in the "you suck" category. ;)

You lucky dawg. Now if you actually convince him to do his CFI in the T-6, you will officially be in the "you suck" category. ;)

oh ive convinced him that he needs to do it in the T-6. the only problem is he needs to find someone that he trusts in the back seat of the 6 to check him out in the front, and that aint me :no:

Tony, you're slowly working your way into the Jason Hermann and Steve Tupper degrees of suckitude...

Seriously though, cool experiences and thanks for sharing!

Tony, you're slowly working your way into the Jason Hermann and Steve Tupper degrees of suckitude...

Seriously though, cool experiences and thanks for sharing!

im still Jet Free, and no where near the sucktitude that those guys display.

True... I guess you're not nearly to their level yet. Jason set the bar high, but man, Steve is on a level of suckitude all his own!

$14k and it can be yours Greg!

You mean to tell me that you don't want to log time in an F-16D or Ford Tri-Motor?

$14k and it can be yours Greg!

You mean to tell me that you don't want to log time in an F-16D or Ford Tri-Motor?

I'm with Greg. I'd take the DC-3 Type over F16 stick time any day. Jets are going to be around for a LONG time, but the old twin radials are getting harder to come by every day. Gotta get it while you can.

..... of course, I'm not saying that if someone wants to give me some F16 stick time, I would turn it down or anything. I'm not THAT picky. ;)

You talkin' about me??? :)

Just keep in mind, the grass isn't always greener.

actually i was referring to guys like Jason, Lance etc. who are moonlighting around in business jets. but what the hell, you too :)

Sounds like a fun day, Tony. You too have mastered the hanging around the airport and get to fly something interesting syllabus.

I've got 1.5 in a 450 hp Stearman based at my home airport. I don't have a tailwheel endorsement (yet), but the guy in the back is an instructor so I got it in the log book. They are pretty neat old airplanes. http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=N3996B

Suckitude :rofl::rofl:

Still working on the F16D/Ford Trimotor/DC3 rides :rolleyes: (but you never know)

Yes, you too could be spending the day in Rangely, CO. :)

At least they have internet this time. :yes:

Looked it up on AirNav. Now that is desolate! BTW, there are no comments about 4V0 in AirNav. If you're totally bored, you could post something about their discovery of the internet.

Looked it up on AirNav. Now that is desolate! BTW, there are no comments about 4V0 in AirNav. If you're totally bored, you could post something about their discovery of the internet.
Heh. I think the only reason the internet is turned on now is that school is going to start next week. It was inop a few weeks ago. They actually have a flight school here which is part of Colorado Northwestern Community College. However, they don't really have an FBO in the traditional sense. The fuel (100LL only) is self-serve and I've been here in the daytime when there's no one else around.

Thanks for letting us know Tony! Variety is the spice of life; I always applied it to other areas, but what the heck--it can apply to flying too!

You're on a quick track to have flown more types than me. That's probably not saying much, but pretty neat stuff. At some point, you'll need some rotary wing time to round things out <g>.

Best,

Dave

At some point, you'll need some rotary wing time to round things out <g>.

I am owed a ride in an R22 by a former instrument student who is a commercial helo pilot. just gotta catch him sometime when he's up here.

I was doing touch-n-goes with a student this evening at Lockhart, TX. A Stearman came in while we were coming around to downwind. When he called final I popped up with, "Trade ya?" "Not today." But, I now know where one is. :)

Yeah, Stearmans are beautiful birds. A guy I volunteer with at the museum owns one and brings it in sometimes. I'm still working on getting a ride from him sometime. I did get to sit in the front seat as he taxied it across Hobby Airport one time, that was pretty fun.

I've got 1.5 in a 450 hp Stearman based at my home airport. I don't have a tailwheel endorsement (yet), but the guy in the back is an instructor so I got it in the log book.

FWIW, you could have logged it even if he wasn't an instructor. 14 CFR 61.51(e) says that you can log PIC for any time that you are the sole manipulator of the controls for which you are rated or have privileges. Since TW is an endorsement and not a rating, as long as you are rated for ASEL you can log PIC for any stick time you got in the Stearman, even if the guy in the back was not an instructor.

Last edited:
Back