2 New Crashes Came Up Today...

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
In a water cooler pass by, one of my co-wokers stopped by and said.... "Dude what the heck is going on? 2 plane crashes today?....." I had no idea what he was talking about, so I followed it up with "I'm sure it's not what it seems by merely looking at the news report...." He's been working up the courage to go fly with me at some point....

It amazes me how people are starting to freak out, that planes / aircraft just "are naturally unsafe...."

Here's the first:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/28/1-dead-after-plane-crashes-into-massachusetts-building.html

And then the second:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...g-small-plane-crashes-california-home-n726486

Lol, yea I quote that to my friends / family all the time as well. But then of course they credit the # of "general aviation pilots" to "# of total drivers" in the world.... it's a never ending argument....

Both of those accidents already have ongoing threads on them. :)

I think it's more of "What the heck is all this crap falling out of the sky on me." thread, than a "Did you hear about that?" thread.

Even my wife is starting to notice and mention every small plane crash that makes the news, and I was convinced she WANTED me to kill myself in the plane.
Then she gets 100% of everything, the insurance, the stock, the house, the pensions, and the whopping huge 401K, and she won't have to listen to me talk about airplanes, ever again.

Update: I checked. She really does want me to die in the plane. She's only mentioning the crashes to let me know what a slacker I am.

I think it's more of "What the heck is all this crap falling out of the sky on me." thread, than a "Did you hear about that?" thread.

Even my wife is starting to notice and mention every small plane crash that makes the news, and I was convinced she WANTED me to kill myself in the plane.
Then she gets 100% of everything, the insurance, the stock, the house, the pensions, and the whopping huge 401K, and she won't have to listen to me talk about airplanes, ever again.

Update: I checked. She really does want me to die in the plane. She's only mentioning the crashes to let me know what a slacker I am.

She'll only get what's left over after the lawsuits, don't you know. ;)

dang, yeah people freak when a plane crashes and wont bat an eye at the 100's of car crashes in a day. Yeah yeah planes are more dangerous yada yada, Id still rather take my chances in a plane than on the freeway with all the texting, drinking, sexting yahoos!

Start showing your friend how many car crashes are in a day, every time one shows up show it to him then he will realize planes crashes are rare and that's why they get all the attention. If cars didn't crash so much when one does happen it would be the same as a plane crash.

And ill say it first before its brought up too..."its been a rough couple of days for GA"

Lol, yea I quote that to my friends / family all the time as well. But then of course they credit the # of "general aviation pilots" to "# of total drivers" in the world.... it's a never ending argument....

The more interesting dynamic is that, even if the per capita rates were reversed for the sake of argument, the wingless monkeys would still rationalize their decision to partake in car driving. It's part of a lifestyle in America they've been largely socialized to have a feeling of entitlement to (fossil powered individual transport in america is highly subsidized compared to the rest of the world). What's more, they implicitly accept the trespasses of reckless driving and social drinking (itself another pedestrian knuckle-dragging ritual they deem sacrosanct) killing their loved ones, over the "blasphemy" of an airplane falling on their head.

Make no mistake, as a BYSTANDER, which is their only legitimate claim to stake on this "issue", you are much more likely to be killed by a motor vehicle than an airplane. According to google-fu, odds of dying as are result of a car strike? 1:47,273. Even worse, odds of getting hit by one? 1:4,292! Odds of getting hit by a crashing airplane? 1:10,000,000. They can chew on that statistic for a while.

In short, car owning flying-averse pedestrians are shameless hypocrites, and markedly cowards as a collective.

Back