2 G loop?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Any suggestions as to how to do a 2 G loop in a Citabria? This is not going to be a standard procedure; just for a certain event.

Thanks.

Diana said:
Any suggestions as to how to do a 2 G loop in a Citabria? This is not going to be a standard procedure; just for a certain event.

Thanks.

Get an issue of Popular Mechanics and find the add for homebuilt Ram Jets, Build 4-5 of them and mount them to your plane, fire them before you get to the vertical up line, they should give you enough thrust to keep you from falling out of the top.:cheerio:

Seriously, I don't think a Citabria has enough power to carry that big of a loop.

Henning said:
Get an issue of Popular Mechanics and find the add for homebuilt Ram Jets, Build 4-5 of them and mount them to your plane, fire them before you get to the vertical up line, they should give you enough thrust to keep you from falling out of the top.:cheerio:

Thanks Henning, we can always count on you to give an interesting take on things. ;)

Henning said:
Seriously, I don't think a Citabria has enough power to carry that big of a loop.
Hmmmm, I may just have to experiment.

Diana said:
Thanks Henning, we can always count on you to give an interesting take on things. ;)

Hmmmm, I may just have to experiment.

Sure, give it a shot, unless you end up in a tail slide which I doubt, you shouldn't hurt anything. Just carry in as much energy as you can.

Try it solo--or better with your instructor--and you'll probably find it's very hard to accomplish a smooth, consistent 2G loop in a Citabria--or almost any airplane, for that matter. Add the weight of a passenger, and you'll be hard pressed to complete the maneuver without falling out of the top or pushing the airspeed toward the red as you fly the down the back side.

If you want to give your passenger a taste of aerobatics, try some smooth aileron rolls, wingovers, and the like instead.

BruceAir said:
Try it solo--or better with your instructor--.

Well, it's hard to find an aerobatic instructor in rural America.

BruceAir said:
and you'll probably find it's very hard to accomplish a smooth, consistent 2G loop in a Citabria--or almost any airplane, for that matter. Add the weight of a passenger, and you'll be hard pressed to complete the maneuver without falling out of the top or pushing the airspeed toward the red as you fly the down the back side.

If you want to give your passenger a taste of aerobatics, try some smooth aileron rolls, wingovers, and the like instead.

Thanks Bruce. I'll work on this one. Don't know how to do a wingover, but have worked a lot on those aileron rolls in the Citabria. Might be enough for this particular event.

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of a couple of simple, basic aerobatic maneuvers to impress (and satisfy) a passenger. When I give aerobatic rides, even to experienced pilots, I start with smooth, easy aileron rolls, flying a gentle 1G arc throughout. Throw in a barrel roll (also at about 1G or as close as I can make it), and most folks think they've just flown Sean D. Tucker's airshow routine. After you've acclimated to aerobatics, it's hard to remember how disorienting (and thrilling) even basic maneuvers seem to a newcomer.

If, after the first couple of maneuvers, my passenger is up for more, we move on to loops, hammerheads, a little inverted straight-and-level, point-rolls, etc. Following this approach, I've earned only a couple of "confirmed kills," which I've posted on my canopy frame (to the amusement--and comic relief--of people about to go for rides). I hope never to become an ace.

Back