1st World Vehicle Problems

You need to go drive an 07+ GM truck and compare apples to apples. I was impressed with the new GM trucks over the older, just couldn't justify the price. Both builders went to rack and pinion I believe and the ammenities list is about dead on similar. I think if you compared an 08 GMC Sierra Denali to your 08 Lincoln, you'd probably say they were pretty similar.

On the Yukon forum I hang out in, there's the "OBS" (Old Body Style), "NBS" (New Body Style), and then the '07 and later are dubbed NNBS ("New New Body Style").

There's significant differences between those and I hear ya on the suspension stuff. The Denali is also bagged and had electronic ride adjustment. All the truck Modders cuss that thing and remove it to raise or lower (whatever their preference) the truck.

The Modders in nice weather areas always go low-rider with them. Living in Denver I laugh and think that's silly.

Out near the new place in the rural area, there's a used truck dealership that I swear must have a deal with a 4x4 shop. Well over 80% of their inventory are lifted to "you sure you have man parts?" heights. It's hilarious. The whole lot is covered in lifted pickup trucks of all sorts.

I love seeing what rednecks do with extra cash. ;)

I posted a great video of someone jumping a new Raptor and destroying it on FB this week. Hit the jump way too fast and completely launched that very nice truck. It broke. Bad. ;)

Chatted with a very pragmatic friend about his F-150 today. He whined that he hates the lifter tapping that seems ubiquitous with the Triton 5.4L gas engine. Seems they all do it eventually. He has an '04 with only 90K on it. So Karen's truck will eventually do that.

I shared with him my beef that GMC transmissions always get sloppy at around 120K on the gas trucks (not the diesels with the Allison) and if you want it fixed right, you need a shop that'll upgrade various components and then they'll be bulletproof.

So... There's no perfect truck. I'd say the newest Tundras are close, but they just won't pull really heavy stuff. Toyota has always had that "I wish they'd put a real engine in this thing" problem. If you're not pulling 8000 lbs+, they're fine. Good even. My back doesn't like their seat shape much either but that's a personal problem.

Back