1st Time

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
It finally happened, a controller in the LA Basin yelled at me.

SoCal handed me to LA Center. My initial call up was fine then ZLA comes back with, "Turn right to 300." Well, my current hdg is 300 but I acknowledged 300.

A minute later he calls to ask how do I hear? Loud and clear, sez I. He hollers, "If you hear me loud and clear, you are supposed to RESPOND...now turn to 300!!!" And you were restricted to blo 5,500, I show you at 6,000...ah...just maintain 6,000 until advised!"

I was forceful in my reply, "6,000, HDG 300, loud & clear, 42W."

I let it go but I had no alt restriction.

Another ASRS to be filed.

The next call on freq was a different controller.

EDIT: there was a 56W, 56X, 42X, 42W, and a 53W all on the same freq and all Cherokees. I'm N5342W and there was a N4543W (or something like that.) This particular controller was still using abbrieviated call signs in his transmissions.

Last edited:
It finally happened, a controller in the LA Basin yelled at me.

Happen to me too. DTW controller yelled at me when I called in. "You're in MY AIRSPACE" I replied "I didn' know you owned the air" :dunno: He then gave me some heading and altitude to fly. I acknowledged and complied with his instructions. Moments later a new voice came on. :) I asked if he had time for a quick question. He did. I asked if the class B airspace had been changed where I was (it had been 4,000 to 8,000), he replied "no it hadn't". I then asked if I could proceed on course at 3.5. He replied "afirmative". No NASA report, no problem. Controllers have bad days and make mistakes too. Usually if they have a bad day and you really do not cause a problem they don't even want to deal with the paper work to write you up.

Sounds like he was having "issues" that day. :yes:

Coming into Daytona Beach on Friday, the Approach controller was in a real snit. We heard him complaining about someone wandering around. Then he called some traffic to us and cleared us pilot's discretion to 4000. We responded that we had the traffic and that we'd start down for 4000. Well, apparently he didn't hear us, because he came back basically yelling about how he'd called us twice (we only heard one), and had not received a readback. He then went into this whole rigmarole about "how do you hear me" twice. I was literally biting my tongue, because I knew Leslie had responded. I handled the radio during his tongue lashing, so it's actually possible that her transmission didn't get through. I wasn't going to waste bandwidth explaining that to him, however. I guess everyone's entitled to a bad day. Had he made a further issue out of it, however, I'd have asked for the recordings to be saved off.

Good ASRS material. Live and learn, and sometimes that means learning to let the controller's ill-tempered remarks roll off your back.

Back