1st Solo!!!

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yesterday, my instructor and I head out to our usual practice airport KWDR, I perform 3 really good landings. After the third one, he says "my aircraft" grabs the controls, pulls us over to the taxi-way. "hand me your logbook and your class 3, I'm getting out of this airplane!"

He tells me to do 3 full stop landings. It didn't really hit me until I pulled power abeam the numbers. When I reached over for the flaps, I looked at the empty seat as i felt the plane starting to descend...that's when I realized I was headed down, and Me, and only Me could land this plane:eek:

1st landing was great...except for some reason I was fixated on turning off at the first taxi-way, so I kinda hit the brakes a little to hard..left some rubber on the runway :D

2nd landing...too fast, flared too early...bounced....but had the presence of mind to put in full power and go around :thumbsup:

2nd attempt at second landing...much better, but got a gust right after the flare...I felt like the plane was going to tip over...it felt worse in the plane than it really was.

3rd landing was almost perfect...except I didn't get the nose all the way up, kinda landed flat...but it worked.

All in all an exhilarating day!!!:cornut:

Man alive, I remember my solo like it was yesterday, now the better part of 1,000 hours back.

Congrats!

It just gets better from here, so keep us posted on your progress.

Don't worry, the perma-grin eventually wears off...

Good job & congrats!

GREAT NEWS! Congrats!!!!! That'll be a flight you'll never forget.

Congrats................

I had the exact same feeling... Looking over at an empty seat and realizing..:hairraise: this baby is all mine. It was a feeling I will NEVER forget.:cool2:.

Keep flying and lets get that private ticket sir.:fcross:

Thanks everyone. Now it's on to short/soft fields and cross country...it will be nice to takeoff and land somewhere other than KLZU or KWDR :thumbsup:

Good on you!! It keeps getting better..... keep us posted.

What exactly does a mentor do?

A mentor is a pilot who roots for you, is available to answer questions and generally gives advice and support. A freind who shares your passon and encourgaes you to finish. Kinda like POA but more personal.

Thanks everyone. Now it's on to short/soft fields and cross country...it will be nice to takeoff and land somewhere other than KLZU or KWDR :thumbsup:
Geez, they won't let you come up to 19A. Who are you training with?

You need to join us for an EAA breakfast on July 3rd at the EAA hanger at LZU.

BTW, congrats on your solo!!!!! :cornut::cornut::cheerswine:

Last edited:
Geez, they won't let you come up to 19A. Who are you training with?

You need to join us for an EAA breakfast on July 3rd at the EAA hanger at LZU.

BTW, congrats on your solo!!!!! :cornut::cornut::cheerswine:

Long story about who i am training with...I'll PM you...

I started at KLZU, flying over to KWDR for practice, then I was solely out of KWDR, now back to the former again...

As far as the EAA breakfast...color me in!!

BTW...where is the EAA hanger :D

Long story about who i am training with...I'll PM you...

I started at KLZU, flying over to KWDR for practice, then I was solely out of KWDR, now back to the former again...

As far as the EAA breakfast...color me in!!

BTW...where is the EAA hanger :D

The EAA Hanger is at the end of the row of blue hangers on the north side west of Taxiway "J" Breakfast is served from 8:00 am - 10:00 or so with a program to follow at 10:30. Ron Alexanders DC-3 will be at LZU Saturday giving rides for $50. also.

The EAA Hanger is at the end of the row of blue hangers on the north side west of Taxiway "J" Breakfast is served from 8:00 am - 10:00 or so with a program to follow at 10:30. Ron Alexanders DC-3 will be at LZU Saturday giving rides for $50. also.

I'm there...what's the cost of the breakfast?

Concratulations! I did my first solo almost a year ago now, and trust me, your solo landing get better as time goes on.

Congratulations!!

THe nice thing about POA is that it's full of a bunch of people who appreciate how great it feels to fly your first solo.

Most civilians yawn and say "That's nice, sonny."

I was desperate to find someone, anyone, I knew to tell the story. Fortunately the owner of my kids' school was a pilot. I bumped into him the next day and got to bask in the glory. My wife was more "That's nice, sonny" about it. :cornut:

The job's not done yet though, sonny. Get that ticket!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Congrats. You won't soon forget the trip. Mine was 20 years ago and I still remember! (It is, however, getting more difficult!)
What exactly does a mentor do?
They're there to harass you until you finish up. They get to share some of what they learned while in your shoes, answer your questions, and share your highlights and your disappointments. In some cases, they explain in other ways what you're learning from your instructor (geekspeak explained).
And it is like having PoA around, only face to face if you want it.
Not necessarily an instructor, and no substitute for one, but sometimes a good sounding board.

Last edited:
Back