1994 Socata TB9 For Sale

I never understood these calcs.
Seems when studying for the written IIRC it was based on density alt not pressure. I could be wrong but I thought that was how they were done.
It is based on density altitude. Your manual uses pressure altitude, but at a given temperature. Change the temperature, and you change the density altitude.

Cessna does the same thing, but gives you three different temps to choose from. Piper simply bases the chart on density altitude, which is the clearest, most logical presentation. Why the rest of them don't do that, I don't know.

Congrats on the sale.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 8.43.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 8.43.08 PM.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 8.40.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 8.40.22 PM.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 19
He looked at RV10 actually but there were a couple nuances he wasnt crazy about.
He can be pretty picky. "Its gotta have a yoke, not a stick" was uttered a few times ;)

Hmmm... I actually preferred the center stick while I was training in the Diamond 20. Seemed a bit more natural.

I guess that comment takes out of consideration many of the Air Bus offering

These are adorable!

With Christmas around the corner, and sometimes kids being more interested in the box than what was inside, consider giving one of these to Mini- or Micro-6PC to fuel their imaginations

aeroplane-pr.jpg

With Christmas around the corner, and sometimes kids being more interested in the box than what was inside, consider giving one of these to Mini- or Micro-6PC to fuel their imaginations

aeroplane-pr.jpg

Sadly, they are the people least interested in airplanes in the house. Bryan would end up being the one sitting in that making flying noises. :D

The scales which hold a Trinidad in one side and an SR22 on the other
are tipping heavily in favor of the SR22

We test flew a Trinidad and now my dad is out looking at the SR22s and I am helping with research but staying quiet. These are beyond my pay grade.

I personally am working toward my own older, cheaper, Way cheaper insurance plane (Tiger, 177 or possibly Sierra) Those all work on paper for me. I have more research to do though.

Useful load of the TB9 is ~800 lbs

There was a really funny "crash report" about a Beech Sierra. It went on about encountering a bird strike from behind in a descent. Maybe someone else can find it.

So far I only have what fits my mission on paper. I haven't flown any of them yet but planes that fit:

177 RG
Tiger
Sierra
The Musketeer Super III w\200 hp

I prefer low wing but the Cardinal has the wing in a better location for visibility.
After Christmas one of the instructors I used is taking me up in his 177.

After hearing T-Dub's audio from the landing at KADS last week where the guy was trapped in his plane leaking fuel, w/ his kids, 2 doors is now a requirement.
There are lots of schools of thought on this but it is high on the list for me.

In a few months I will start tracking down rides in these and hopefully pull the trigger in 2015 / 2016

In the meantime, I will likely have access to an SR22. My father has further narrowed it down to 2 planes and is wheeling and dealing right now.

It sounds like those beeches are front runners. I have not been in one but my understanding is the Sierra is roomy inside. That is important to me.

We have had 4 other offers on the TB9. 3 are over what it is listed for.
The current buyer has offered to do an annual on his dime. If anything comes up, the deal is off and we get an annual out of it. It should check out though. It is a really solid plane.

I agree with you on the two doors being desirable, but if you have mangled the aircraft enough to jam one door you have probably jammed both doors enough to make it hard to exit. Anyway this is what I may be selling.

Attachments

• IMGP2234.JPG
    IMGP2234.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
Why are you not considering a 2 seater? If you can use the SR22 when taking the family it would be much cheaper to own and operate a smaller 2 seat plane.
Plus it would be the best of both worlds, there is plenty of times I wish I had one.

Why are you not considering a 2 seater? If you can use the SR22 when taking the family it would be much cheaper to own and operate a smaller 2 seat plane.
Plus it would be the best of both worlds, there is plenty of times I wish I had one.

I haven't given that a lot of thought. Ultimately I want to get out of the borrowing Dad's plane business. It is one thing to be putting hours on a 40k plane where I can afford new batteries, lights, oil changes, etc. This is a whole new ball of wax.

I was able to pay for maintenance on the Socata but flying a Cirrus and knowing my contribution is a drop in the bucket makes me uncomfortable. I think on long trips w/ the kids he will probably have me take it as the chute adds to his peace of mind. But for grabbing a couple coworkers and flying to lunch, I need that to be on my own dime.

Now interesting thing is I am trying to decide if it is a good idea to just go pick up a 150 for Eren to do her training. I am not sure if it is better to get a simple plane and sell it when she is done or have her train in what we will be flying for years.

Lots to think about

I haven't given that a lot of thought. Ultimately I want to get out of the borrowing Dad's plane business. It is one thing to be putting hours on a 40k plane where I can afford new batteries, lights, oil changes, etc. This is a whole new ball of wax.

I was able to pay for maintenance on the Socata but flying a Cirrus and knowing my contribution is a drop in the bucket makes me uncomfortable. I think on long trips w/ the kids he will probably have me take it as the chute adds to his peace of mind. But for grabbing a couple coworkers and flying to lunch, I need that to be on my own dime.

Now interesting thing is I am trying to decide if it is a good idea to just go pick up a 150 for Eren to do her training. I am not sure if it is better to get a simple plane and sell it when she is done or have her train in what we will be flying for years.

Lots to think about
You can get a Cherokee 140 for about the same price as a 150 and it has four seats and decent useful load (about the same as you TB9).

Lots to think about

In this situation I think you'd be better off just buying what you're going to end up with. The 150 (I love em) would just add another hurdle in the whole process. You'd have to buy it, the Misses has to finish her training (who knows how long it could take, things happen), then you have to sell it, and the whole time you have it you're restricted to 2 seats and not a lot of useful.

More hassle than gain IMO.

Lots to think about

Why? Do you foresee utilization conflict? Does it make sense to spend the extra resources in this situation on a practical, operational, analysis? You have to remember, these funds are already commingled by by blood and inheritance. Is this thinking shared by your Dad as well, or is this a one sided construct on your part? What are your dad's thoughts on the shared plane usage. Does your dad have any interest in flying a sporty 2 place airplane?

Sometime our pride is misplaced.

How far along is Eren? It's hard to go wrong with a DA-20 that can serve as a good trainer and if you decide to go with a 2 seat, it is the fastest and most efficient f them with incredible engine out glide.

Last edited:
Why? Do you foresee utilization conflict?

We both fly frequently and unscheduled. He and mom fly to their lake property 2-3 weekends a month. There is a bit of conflict

Does it make sense to spend the extra resources in this situation on a practical, operational, analysis?

So Dad got re current after I got my PPL after a 20 year break. My intention was already that some point I would have my own plane.
We put 400 hours on the TB9 last year.

There is not a shot in hell I could afford an overhaul on a Cirrus.

You have to remember, these funds are already commingled by by blood and inheritance. Is this thinking shared by your Dad as well, or is this a one sided construct on your part? What are your dad's thoughts on the shared plane usage. Does your dad have any interest in flying a sporty 2 place airplane?

Sometime our pride is misplaced.

No way he would fly anything other than what he wants. He is specific in what he wants to a fault. He wants us to have 2 planes so we can go places as a larger group and also so we can fly seperately. He wanted to keep the TB9 and get a Cirrus. There is pride and there is absurd.

I had to convince him to sell the TB as keeping it, would be the equivelant of him having 2 planes and giving me one. He would never fly that TB again once he had his upgrade. I make a better than average living and don't want anyone buying me things that I can get on my own. I am a dad and I get that there is a little here and there that will be given but on this level it is nonsensical. Just like if he tried to give me a car or something. That would be odd and this is less of a necessity.

How far along is Eren? It's hard to go wrong with a DA-20 that can serve as a good trainer and if you decide to go with a 2 seat, it is the fastest and most efficient f them with incredible engine out glide.

So she is new at this. 4 hours in and asking for ground school for Christmas. So she is serious but the time frame depends on a lot. She is taking Cello lessons, Horseback riding lessons, flying lessons and she runs her company. That's up to her to juggle.

I believe she will do what I did where as you get closer, you work harder at it and each carrot (Written, Solo, XC) increases that drive to do it and thus increases the priority.

So no question, Pride is a bit of it but also dad flying was not something I ever factored into this Journey. I am beyond glad he chose to do it. I love flying with my dad more than anything.

And Really, I just want my own airplane. The only thing between here and there is getting a job which appears to be moving in the right direction, and then getting a couple loans paid off that I should have paid off 2 years ago.

Sorry that's a long rambling answer but somewhere in there is the answer :)

We both fly frequently and unscheduled. He and mom fly to their lake property 2-3 weekends a month. There is a bit of conflict

So Dad got re current after I got my PPL after a 20 year break. My intention was already that some point I would have my own plane.
We put 400 hours on the TB9 last year.

There is not a shot in hell I could afford an overhaul on a Cirrus.

No way he would fly anything other than what he wants. He is specific in what he wants to a fault. He wants us to have 2 planes so we can go places as a larger group and also so we can fly seperately. He wanted to keep the TB9 and get a Cirrus. There is pride and there is absurd.

I had to convince him to sell the TB as keeping it, would be the equivelant of him having 2 planes and giving me one. He would never fly that TB again once he had his upgrade. I make a better than average living and don't want anyone buying me things that I can get on my own. I am a dad and I get that there is a little here and there that will be given but on this level it is nonsensical. Just like if he tried to give me a car or something. That would be odd and this is less of a necessity.

So she is new at this. 4 hours in and asking for ground school for Christmas. So she is serious but the time frame depends on a lot. She is taking Cello lessons, Horseback riding lessons, flying lessons and she runs her company. That's up to her to juggle.

I believe she will do what I did where as you get closer, you work harder at it and each carrot (Written, Solo, XC) increases that drive to do it and thus increases the priority.

So no question, Pride is a bit of it but also dad flying was not something I ever factored into this Journey. I am beyond glad he chose to do it. I love flying with my dad more than anything.

And Really, I just want my own airplane. The only thing between here and there is getting a job which appears to be moving in the right direction, and then getting a couple loans paid off that I should have paid off 2 years ago.

Sorry that's a long rambling answer but somewhere in there is the answer :)

No answer, but more to consider. I say buy a 182, put a chute in it, ask dad for a chute for Christmas (cheaper than giving you the TB-9 and an investment in his kid's and grandkids safety), granddads like spending their money on this type of stuff, it's an investment in their future.

Prebuy finished. Annual almost finished.

We did something right he said it is immaculate inside and out.

Kudos to Parks college. He said he has never seen logbooks that complete with as much detail and all maintenance done before it was due.

Wonder what planes they are selling now. We had the plane for 2 of its 20 years so our entries are minimal. Sounds like they are top notch when it comes to taking care of their fleet.

Looks like they are varied in their Papa Charlies

parks-aircraft-fleet.png

That is amazing you had it sold in 8 days. Why don't you keep the N number for your next airplane? I'm pretty sure you can transfer it.

Whoever bought that is a lucky person. I love the Socata line. So comfortable inside.

I've only flown the Tampico (I used to fly Jim/Kiddo's Driver's actually :) ), but I was 6'4" and probably 210-215 or so at the time and it was incredibly roomy inside.

Such good visibility and the thing was a tank. 25kt recommended xwind if I remember right.

so the effort required to change it is not bad but then physically changing it is not something we are interested in.

We got a list of all available N numbers ending in 6PC. Dad is reserving one for his purchase and he will have it updated.

We still get to fly the plane a bit. The buyer wants me to spend a few hours flying with his son going through all the nuances and then have me fly him to our CFI until he signs him off to solo in it.

The father wants to fly a few hours w/ my dad doing the same thing for himself.

So we get a few more trips in it.

It has really been a good plane. Feels right to be selling it to another father son pilot combination.

In this situation I think you'd be better off just buying what you're going to end up with. The 150 (I love em) would just add another hurdle in the whole process. You'd have to buy it, the Misses has to finish her training (who knows how long it could take, things happen), then you have to sell it, and the whole time you have it you're restricted to 2 seats and not a lot of useful.

More hassle than gain IMO.
I am a proponent of transition makes another training evolution and that ain't a bad thing.

Whoever bought that is a lucky person. I love the Socata line. So comfortable inside.

I've only flown the Tampico (I used to fly Jim/Kiddo's Driver's actually :) ), but I was 6'4" and probably 210-215 or so at the time and it was incredibly roomy inside.

Such good visibility and the thing was a tank. 25kt recommended xwind if I remember right.

Yup. Seriously the one thing that plane spoiled me on was Cross winds.
Not only can it handle 25kt but ya don't have to work that hard in xwind situations to keep it lined up.

Good planes.

That's cool you flew his actual plane. I have 3 buyers ready to send his way when he is ready. People want them I guess. Supply / demand I suppose.

6PC, if it makes you feel better, I will let you let your dad buy me an airplane. That way your conscience is clear when I let you fly it anytime you want. Just put some gas in it, when you're done. And we won't even ask the CC for an opinion.

See how generous I am.:D

Yup. Seriously the one thing that plane spoiled me on was Cross winds.
Not only can it handle 25kt but ya don't have to work that hard in xwind situations to keep it lined up.

Good planes.

That's cool you flew his actual plane. I have 3 buyers ready to send his way when he is ready. People want them I guess. Supply / demand I suppose.

Yeah I need to go look at my logbook to see the dates. Talk about a lifetime ago. Good to see her still going strong.

I can see why people like them. The -9 isn't fast, but it's honest and comfortable. For it's roll as a trainer, it was perfect. Guy at the airport here behind my house has a Tabago.. I want to go sniff around for a ride sometime... :D

I got to go up in this trinidad this year. It is a mix of luxury and power. Very solid

1014026_10203564111690322_331872280_n.jpg

Greg, you're writing about a sales offer in 12/14, but there is a new listing on Ebay for your Socata. Is it sold or not? The ad for it is still in TAP.

I left a message. If you sold it, please pull your ads, if not call me. Thanks.

The gentleman to whom we sold the plane is selling it.
He bought it so his son could learn to fly but he chose not to continue his flight training.

FWIW it is a fantastic plane in amazing shape.

Edit: My name is Bryan. Current Seller is Jeff.
I don't know who Greg is.

What's he asking for it ?

Back