1980 Turbo Saratoga Question

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
I need your advice on a 1980 Turbo Saratoga. I got the plane several weeks ago and have been running it at 65% power while braking in the newly rebuilt engine. Now that it is broken in, I cannot find what is the proper temperature to run on the EGT, CHT, TIT.
Can anyone give me some help with this? The engine is a TI0540.

I need your advice on a 1980 Turbo Saratoga. I got the plane several weeks ago and have been running it at 65% power while braking in the newly rebuilt engine. Now that it is broken in, I cannot find what is the proper temperature to run on the EGT, CHT, TIT.
Can anyone give me some help with this? The engine is a TI0540.

Watch your egt while leaning it and lean it until you hear the engine start running rought. Remember the temp that its at when you first feel the engine missing and then ritchen it up until the temp cools down 50 degrees. Don't worry about leaning it too much and killing your engine (obviously you would prefer not too) but if you do just push the mixture in and your engine starts right back up.

Watch your egt while leaning it and lean it until you hear the engine start running rought. Remember the temp that its at when you first feel the engine missing and then ritchen it up until the temp cools down 50 degrees. Don't worry about leaning it too much and killing your engine (obviously you would prefer not too) but if you do just push the mixture in and your engine starts right back up.

:no:

That'll pretty much put you at 50 ROP, exactly where you shouldn't be running it.

Ted, can you run a TIO 540 LOP in a PA32RT?Do you need an inter cooler to do it? I was under the impression that you needed to run ROP on the Turbo Lances and Saratogas due to cooling problems.

The factory setup may or may not support LOP without some effort. It also depends on the power setting. At 65%, I'd suspect that you'd be able to if everything worked well. However, you may have a narrow LOP window you can run.

With cooling problems, what I've found works best is either LOP or very ROP. Most people won't run very ROP, they'll just run kinda ROP, because they'll decide the fuel burn is just too high.

Back