1973 Cessna 421B

My kids hardly ever went on a long car trip, I think driving to the beach, 5 1/2 hours, is as far as the two youngest ones have ever been in a car! :dunno:

I'm 'worried' about that too. Our kid, Lord willing, will be used to travelling half-way across the country in a day where his friends will spend all day in a car to get to the other end of the state. Our 'beach trips' are about 1:15 flight as opposed to a 5 hr drive.

I think I'll make him drive the 16ish hours to Iowa to see his aunt/uncle a few times just so he can appreciate how much better flying is, though. Of course, I'll have him pick me up at the airport when he gets there. ;)

That's one option. We also want to do motorcycle trips. :)

Wouldn't surprise me if it's somewhat similar for us. How did you handle the "Why doesn't Jimmy's dad have a plane?" question when it came up?

It never really came up that I remember. When the boys were in pre-school at a local church, we would host all the 4 yr olds at the airport as part of "transportation week". I would let them climb around and sit in the airplane, parents took pictures etc. We would always walk them down the ramp area to the fire station when we were done at the hangar. They are the only remaining station with a brass fire pole in Atlanta, the kids love it!! One of the moms even slid down the pole:yes:............no one danced though. :dunno:

Good data point. I'd figured when he got old enough we'd consider doing similar. Would be great to provide that spark that gets some other kids interested in aviation as well.

In '72 I bought one of the first MB V-8's. Our older daughter didn't pay much attention to that stuff, and I heard her telling some friends that we had a new Mercury.

I thought it was funny but didn't mention the difference until one of her more savvy friends came over and yelled "you dummy, that's a Mercedes, not a Mercury" which still meant nothing to our kid until I explained the difference.

Probably a good point of how you're raised, which I suppose was similar to me.

Despite living on the Upper East Side of Manhattan (a rather affluent area), we were the poor ones - no country house and we didn't have a car. I went to a Manhattan private school for 9 years and didn't venture outside that weird island very much.

Then I went to public high school, and suddenly I was the rich kid. I never much cared either way. I thought most of the other kids were pretty lucky to have two parents still married, which not many of the kids in private school had.

On the Mercedes, was that a 450SEL? One of the cars I first learned to drive on was an early 70s model. I'm guessing it was in significantly worse shape by the time I got my hands on it, but I loved driving it.

The first ones still carried the 280 model number even though they were equipped with 4.5L V-8 engines. List was about $12k, I think I paid $9.4k.

On the Mercedes, was that a 450SEL? One of the cars I first learned to drive on was an early 70s model. I'm guessing it was in significantly worse shape by the time I got my hands on it, but I loved driving it.

The first ones still carried the 280 model number even though they were equipped with 4.5L V-8 engines. List was about $12k, I think I paid $9.4k.

The one I drove might have been a '74, I forget by now. Must have been later since it was a 450SEL. By the time I started driving it, it was made entirely out of compressed rust and the springs in the seats were all broken, but those old tanks were nice to drive even still.

Our kids have never asked why others don't have planes. Our oldest assumed all kids had planes until she was 4 or 5. If she heard adults talk about a long drive she would often ask them why they didn't take the plane. I'm not sure how many of the kids classmates know we have an airplane. Our kids don't think it's any big deal. They like it but to them, just like your son, they've never known not having an airplane.

You'll be glad someday that you've been diligent about filling in his logbook. We bought a logbook for our oldest when we first bought our plane 5 years ago. Unfortunately it's still sitting on the counter completely empty. We never even got the youngest a logbook. I try to keep a good record of their flights in mine though.

Bump! New bird is under contract and her annual will be finished next week.:D

Congrats! So does that mean you'll have to change your user ID?

Congrats! So does that mean you'll have to change your user ID?

Nope, had this tail number in the family since my dad bought a new 182P in 1972! :D I'll paint it on the new one after I sell Charlene.:D

Nope, had this tail number in the family since my dad bought a new 182P in 1972! :D I'll paint it on the new one after I sell Charlene.:D

Now that is a wonderful story. Although too bad you just painted those numbers so pretty on Charlene!

Now that is a wonderful story. Although too bad you just painted those numbers so pretty on Charlene!

With his pattern of serial monogamy, his best bet would be to just print them on vinyl and use a squegee to transfer them from one plane to the next :D .

With his pattern of serial monogamy, his best bet would be to just print them on vinyl and use a squegee to transfer them from one plane to the next :D .

That is true, I had the number in vinyl on Charlene until I had her painted:mad2::mad2:

I'm reasonably sure this airplane has been at CXY in the past...2 months? ish?

My 421? It was in the paint shop from January 7 until mid February and has been to Naples and back home. Must have been another REALLY good looking 421B. :D:D

The shop had a bunch of red/white paint jobs at one time last month. I thought they were all here.

My 421? It was in the paint shop from January 7 until mid February and has been to Naples and back home. Must have been another REALLY good looking 421B. :D:D

The shop had a bunch of red/white paint jobs at one time last month. I thought they were all here.

It's funny on Wednesday we were in Naples and N424TW was there, which is the plane that I copied my paint scheme from! We were at Naples Jet Center which had maybe 5 planes on the ramp and two of them were identical, painted by the same shop! Of course, mine was prettier.:D
IMG_20130221_110055_zps7f98a199.jpg

421d_001.jpg

Got two offers today, should have one of them firmed up tomorrow! :D

SOLD she's going to a local guy that I know, he's not a pilot, but wants a nice ride and his pilot looked at her yesterday and he committed to paying her adoption fee. :D
He is getting a GREAT deal on a great airplane, I guess this puts a little more pressure on the Conquest pre-buy tomorrow. :dunno::D

SOLD she's going to a local guy that I know, he's not a pilot, but wants a nice ride and his pilot looked at her yesterday and he committed to paying her adoption fee. :D
He is getting a GREAT deal on a great airplane, I guess this puts a little more pressure on the Conquest pre-buy tomorrow. :dunno::D

You mean she'll stay local just to see you prance around with your new bride ? Not afraid of causing a catfight ?

And I tell you: vinyl !

Congratulations! :cheers:

You mean she'll stay local just to see you prance around with your new bride ? Not afraid of causing a catfight ?

And I tell you: vinyl !

She'll be at a different airport, but they'll use the same guys to maintain her. So, I'll get to see her occasionally.;)

Back