1973 Cessna 421B

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
:DI'm putting Charlene up for adoption, she's a well behaved 40 year old that needs another loving home. She's set up for the owner pilot as well as passenger comfort. To be honest, while she was away at the paint shop, I have become involved with a younger/faster airplane.
Specs: 4225 TT, engines are both factory remans, approximately 845/525 hours, props are 355 since new and recently resealed.
FIKI with a heated glass windshield and boots are in good shape.
Electric air conditioning, works great. Pressurization is excellent.
Paint is of course new, and not a cheap paint it to sell job!
Interior is tan leather, not new, but very little wear, really only two front seats show any wear.
Avionics: Aspen PFD, GNS 530W, SL30, MX20, GTX 330 with TIS, GDL-69A XM weather and music, PM 8000 audio panel, Bendix 810 autopilot, works fine.
Asking $219,000.00 Annual is due in March and it is scheduled to be done at S&S aviation in Canton Ga.
She had a nose gear collapse in 2003, both props replaced with new and both engines torn down and inspected the Continental. Also, we killed a buzzard with the forward avionics/baggage door, it was replaced.
Feel free to message or email me here, I haven't put her up on TAP or Controller yet.
Edit: she also has color radar, a second GPS, dual nacelle tanks for max range and I just added Micro VG's.
Useful load is 2400 lbs
Controller ad http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-421B/1973-CESSNA-421B/1272673.htm
IMG_20130221_115420_zpsef773971.jpg

IMG_20130221_115103_zps650b8922.jpg

photo_zpsf284f8db.jpg

IMG_20130221_113320_zpsfd66eb07.jpg

Last edited:
So....I will be the first to ask...who's the new trollop stealing your affections?

Is there another thread for this that I am missing?

Also, side question, in what city/area is your dealership?

So....I will be the first to ask...who's the new trollop stealing your affections?

Is there another thread for this that I am missing?

Also, side question, in what city/area is your dealership?
The trollop is a conquest I;) I haven't bought her yet, and I'm trying, so far unsuccessfully, to talk myself out of it.:mad2:
I'm on the west side of Atlanta, Lithia Springs, we're about 4 miles from FTY.

The trollop is a conquest

Truer words have not been spoken :)

So far out of reach for this guy, but thank you for helping my confirm my salivary glands are capable of going into triple overdrive. :yes:

Ahh, the allure of Jet-A...

A very nice plane. If we were looking to buy a 421, we'd certainly look at it. But for now, I suppose we'll stick to our 310. :)

Ahh, the allure of Jet-A...

A very nice plane. If we were looking to buy a 421, we'd certainly look at it. But for now, I suppose we'll stick to our 310. :)

Yes, the aroma of Jet-A has ruined many a bank account!;)

And the funniest part of the deal is that the guys flying around in the big piston twins think the turbines cost a whole lot more.

Yes, the aroma of Jet-A has ruined many a bank account!;)

And the funniest part of the deal is that the guys flying around in the big piston twins think the turbines cost a whole lot more.

If all goes well, I'll give you my report in 12 months. :dunno:

Key elements to this analysis include:

1. The beginning balance in the wallets.
2. The rate at which it is replenished from sources unrelated to aviation.
3. The actual vs. budgeted rate of depletion from own/op expenses.
4. The ratio of the aviation budget to the owner's budgets for other less-essential commodities such as food, shelter, family, etc.

True! But, I guess even Senecas have emptied a few wallets. ;)

And even more importantly it's about operator judgement. One of the nearby FBO operators keeps leaning on me to buy a KA 200, and put it in his fleet. I answer, "Lee, if it was such a good deal, why doesn't the bank just give you the credit..."

Even with "power by the hour", I would have to go back to work to insure its' care and feeding.

No way.

It's kinna like why you fly your nice Taildragger. You know better :)

You are one of these guys someone has to follow around and purchase all his newly upgraded aircraft.

Didn't you do the same with a 414 just 2 years ago, and a Citation II before that :D

Nice looking plane.

You are one of these guys someone has to follow around and purchase all his newly upgraded aircraft.

Didn't you do the same with a 414 just 2 years ago, and a Citation II before that :D

Nice looking plane.

I'm a glutton for punishment! Actually the Citation II was the best deal I've ever made in aviation! Not that I made money, because I didn't, I sold it in April 2007, about 6 months before the market sank to nearly nothing on older jet!:cheerswine::cheerswine:
If I don't sell this one, it isn't a big deal, it will do everything I really need, it's not my needs that get me in trouble, it's my wants. :dunno:

Today marks one of the first times that I've ended up making a weather no-go. We've got about 50 nm that we'd need to travel to get past some weather that looks like it has tops at 10-12k with light to moderate icing in the climb. We know that the baby didn't like being above 10k on the flight up to Newfoundland, and so we don't want to push that.

Then there's the fact that the prop de-ice quit working on Friday, and with the three of us plus all our baggage the climb rate will probably start to drop off near 500 FPM towards the top of the climb, factoring in the ice that will inevitably be hurting climb rate.

Ok, we'll just wait until tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be much nicer. Get to see another friend or two in the area tonight anyway and get an extra day of vacation.

If we had a 421, it wouldn't be much of a question, especially with our load that would be pretty light for that plane and allow a good climb rate. I don't see us upgrading, though, especially since once our (now infant) son gets a bit older I'm sure he'll be able to handle altitude just fine.

Yes I do, BTDT.

The lease arithmetic never works. Met with another guy last week whose company is struggling with one and wondering why it costs so much more than they were told when they signed up.

And even more importantly it's about operator judgement. One of the nearby FBO operators keeps leaning on me to buy a KA 200, and put it in his fleet. I answer, "Lee, if it was such a good deal, why doesn't the bank just give you the credit..."

Even with "power by the hour", I would have to go back to work to insure its' care and feeding.

No way.

It's kinna like why you fly your nice Taildragger. You know better :)

My local FBO always wanted to put my Citation on their 135 certificate, no matter how I crunched the numbers I always came up with the same answer. I was supplying them a Citation, they were selling me fuel and maintenance at a small discount, and the only one with any financial risk was me! IF the airplane made money, it would be a fairly small amount, not counting the wear and tear of doubling or tripling my annual hours.:rolleyes2:
If it was so profitable, why didn't they buy them a Citation and put it on their certificate? :dunno:

Yes I do, BTDT.

The lease arithmetic never works. Met with another guy last week whose company is struggling with one and wondering why it costs so much more than they were told when they signed up.

My local FBO always wanted to put my Citation on their 135 certificate, no matter how I crunched the numbers I always came up with the same answer. I was supplying them a Citation, they were selling me fuel and maintenance at a small discount, and the only one with any financial risk was me! IF the airplane made money, it would be a fairly small amount, not counting the wear and tear of doubling or tripling my annual hours.:rolleyes2:
If it was so profitable, why didn't they buy them a Citation and put it on their certificate? :dunno:

That's a pretty similar story to what happened to the owner of the Navajo I flew on 135.

The Commander owner actually came out ahead. He ended up getting free hangar, free MX, free insurance, and just got to fly in the thing himself for fuel. But the 135 operator had other interests in the Commander owner as an investor for other projects.

if i were taking all the risk and providing an fbo with a citation or any other plane whatsoever, I would expect to not pay a singe cent on any incurred cost. Also, I would expect a return on however much money the plane cost. If i had a citation or similar i would not let anyone else use it. i am greedy bastard.

I updated the times after I talked to the shop this morning:
4225 TT, LE 842, RE 521, Props both 353 since new.

The story always ends the same way, the only difference is the names and numbers in the blank spaces on the contract form. It's like the story about selling watermelons except that you can't buy a bigger truck.

That's a pretty similar story to what happened to the owner of the Navajo I flew on 135.

The Commander owner actually came out ahead. He ended up getting free hangar, free MX, free insurance, and just got to fly in the thing himself for fuel. But the 135 operator had other interests in the Commander owner as an investor for other projects.

I look at it like the guys on TV telling you how to make a fortune in real estate with no money down. IF they knew that secret, why would they share it with anybody!! :dunno:

The story always ends the same way, the only difference is the names and numbers in the blank spaces on the contract form. It's like the story about selling watermelons except that you can't buy a bigger truck.

The trollop is a conquest I;) I haven't bought her yet, and I'm trying, so far unsuccessfully, to talk myself out of it.:mad2:
I'm on the west side of Atlanta, Lithia Springs, we're about 4 miles from FTY.

Man, you really need to have your head examined! :rofl:

I'm a glutton for punishment! Actually the Citation II was the best deal I've ever made in aviation! Not that I made money, because I didn't, I sold it in April 2007, about 6 months before the market sank to nearly nothing on older jet!:cheerswine::cheerswine:

It's better to be lucky than good.

If I don't sell this one, it isn't a big deal, it will do everything I really need, it's not my needs that get me in trouble, it's my wants. :dunno:
Gotta give Thomas time to work on his multi! :thumbsup:

Man, you really need to have your head examined! :rofl:

It's better to be lucky than good.

Gotta give Thomas time to work on his multi! :thumbsup:

I'll keep a multi, so Thomas can get time, if I can ever get him to finish his PPL!:mad2:

I'll keep a multi, so Thomas can get time, if I can ever get him to finish his PPL!:mad2:

We figure our son will either start out with his multi or rotorcraft. ;)

I wonder if Ed has this situation captured in his flowchart...

Since both his parents are flight instructors it should count, right? :goofy:

Does he have a prenatal logbook? :)

Yes, he does. We took a standard pilot logbook and recorded all his pre-natal flights (which, conveniently, took up a full page), followed by his current flights. Of course we aren't signing them off and won't let him log it until he gets older. That is assuming he has any interest in it.

Yes, he does. We took a standard pilot logbook and recorded all his pre-natal flights (which, conveniently, took up a full page), followed by his current flights. Of course we aren't signing them off and won't let him log it until he gets older. That is assuming he has any interest in it.

Your son will be one of the few 4-year olds who will come home from the sandbox asking, "Daddy, why doesn't Jimmy's dad have an airplane?"

Your son will be one of the few 4-year olds who will come home from the sandbox asking, "Daddy, why doesn't Jimmy's dad have an airplane?"

Yeah, I've been thinking about that question.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that question.

My kids hardly ever went on a long car trip, I think driving to the beach, 5 1/2 hours, is as far as the two youngest ones have ever been in a car! :dunno:

My kids hardly ever went on a long car trip, I think driving to the beach, 5 1/2 hours, is as far as the two youngest ones have ever been in a car! :dunno:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's somewhat similar for us. How did you handle the "Why doesn't Jimmy's dad have a plane?" question when it came up?

Back