1973 Arrow vs 1974 Arrow

iRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Hi all,

I will be starting my cfi training next month in a '74 Arrow. I have been flying a '73 Arrow. I see the POH is different and I was wondering if there is a difference between the two planes. I will get the '74 POH to have for my checkride but I am curious as to the V speeds, flying characteristics, etc. Same engine, different avionics. Thanks.

Rounded corners on the windows, new paint scheme, new interior colors (from "ugly" to "what were they thinking?!").

That's about it.

pa-28r-200_1973.jpg

pa-28r-200_1974_1204.jpg

Ryan, I "think" but can't recall the following:

I think the 73 has the hershey bar wing and is 5 inches shorter than the 74" I think the 74 has the tappered wing but I'd defer to an arrow owner such as Sac or Tim who should know for sure.

Thanks. Not that it matters if the shutdown continues and I can't take my ride. FSDO already said I will have a dpe. I don't know if I want to pay to fail lol

I believe the 5-inch longer fuselage came in (along with a larger horizontal tail, wing span increase, gross weight increase, and other minor changes) with the 1972 model year, not 1974, and that was the beginning of the Arrow II. The tapered-wing Arrow III was certified in November 1976, which would be the start of the 1977 model year. Thus, there should be no significant differences between the 1973 and 1974 Arrow II's.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...4b41c7e7d7d7458625753c004f4a2d/$FILE/2A13.pdf

Thanks. Not that it matters if the shutdown continues and I can't take my ride. FSDO already said I will have a dpe. I don't know if I want to pay to fail lol

If its with a DPE, why the wait?
Need FSDO to formally assign or approve the DPE for the check ride?

If its with a DPE, why the wait?
Need FSDO to formally assign or approve the DPE for the check ride?

Yes, the FSDO can't assign or call the DPE. We did have a nice chat though; I guess he was bored. He spoke highly about the flight school I will attend, so that is good news.

I owned a 73 arrow,had the 5 inch extension . Had same v speeds as the 74.

I believe the 5-inch longer fuselage came in (along with a larger horizontal tail, wing span increase, gross weight increase, and other minor changes) with the 1972 model year, not 1974, and that was the beginning of the Arrow II. The tapered-wing Arrow III was certified in November 1976, which would be the start of the 1977 model year. Thus, there should be no significant differences between the 1973 and 1974 Arrow II's.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...4b41c7e7d7d7458625753c004f4a2d/$FILE/2A13.pdf
Ron is right. Arrow got the stretch for '72; fixed-gear -180 and -235 got it for the '73 model year.

No aerodynamic or performance differences in the '73 vs. '74 Arrows; only cosmetic.

Back