1963 Piper Cherokee PA28 150B

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
00W has served me well but my training mission for it is nearing completion. Would make a good plane for primary through instrument training. We've taken it all over the PNW on cross countries too.

Time to burn more fuel and pay more for insurance.

Haven't calculated the times lately but Approx 700SMOH 6300TT

The 150 is similar to a 140 with the most noticable difference being that it has a factory baggage door and no hat rack.

In the last 2.5 years, off the top of my head.
New engine baffling
All new hoses (oil cooler, fuel, etc..)
Rebuilt Mags
New tires
New airtex carpet.
new wall panels
new DG
new AI
new VSI
new KI202 CDI
new AK650 annunciator
new Alt Encoder
new filters.
new boost pump

Avionics
--------------------------------------------------------
KLN89B IFR Certified install
KY197
KX155 w/GS
Narco AT150 w/Encoder
PS Engineering integrated 4 place audio w/ dual PTT (and ISO switch)
KMA Audio Panel
AK650 Annunciator
Transponder recently checked but IFR certs just ran out last month.
4cyl EGT
LC-2 Clock timer (wired in)

Interior
----------------------------------------------------------
New Airtex carpet
New wall panels
Serviceable seats (don't quite match, hardly noticeable but they're in 8/10 shape)
Could use a headliner
Plexiglass is servicable but has some crazing and a stop drilled crack on the door window.

Exterior 7/10 paint is all there and not faded but it doesn't shine as well as it used to. I have the wheel pants, I just leave them off for the winter.

Engine (Lycoming O-320) approx 700SMOH no leaks, good compression on all cylinders (Millennium cyl.) and runs strong.

Propeller is fairly new and in great shape (Approx 200hrs on it I think)

Annual due 12/2012
Static Test Certs Expired 5/2012
Transponder Test Current, performed, new encoder installed 02/2012

The Bad
------------------------------------------------------------
Very old damage history (1960s)
Corrosion history that was corrected approx 7 years ago.
Seems the left side fuel sender float has a hole in it (we verified it was working, it just slowly sinks to the bottom) making the left fuel level gauge indicator not so trust worthy. (Will be corrected at next annual if not sold first when SB1006 is complied with)
Could use a headliner
could use new plexiglass
Sometimes the ASI bounces at about rotate speed on takeoff, pitot/static system needs cleaning. (going to have this looked at when I renew the IFR certs soon)
A couple of the EGT probes are inaccurate.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Asking $23,000

Last edited:
Good luck with the sale, though you'll miss the simplicity and good manners of the Cherokee.

Good luck with the sale, though you'll miss the simplicity and good manners of the Cherokee.

Yeah, I know which is why an Arrow is on my radar but our typical missions are starting to be in the 400-600NM range and more speed would be nice. I'm not hanging around the pattern just gathering hours as much any more. I have more than I should have for my IR. And though i go right over the top of the Montana Rockies in it (Cruising at 12,500 isn't a problem in the summer) , a little better climb and take off performance in the summer would be nice too. I'd also like a 430W or better in the panel and I just can't bring myself to put half the value of the plane in a radio. the next plane is either going to have crap panel that the owner places little to no value on that will be immediately pulled out or already have what I want in it.

Last edited:
I'd also like a 430W or better in the panel and I just can't bring myself to put half the value of the plane in a radio. the next plane is either going to have crap panel that the owner places little to no value on that will be immediately pulled out or already have what I want in it.

In this market you're ay better off purchasing the airplane with the panel you want. I'm in the same boat more or less. Again, good luck with the sale.

Good looking bird. IFR GPS is a big plus. Fairly priced. Good decision on not going with the 430. we put one in ours. Nice to have, but we'll take a serious bath when we sell.
Do you have the pants for the mains?

Last edited:
Good looking bird. IFR GPS is a big plus. Fairly priced.
Do you have the pants for the mains?

Yep I used to take them on and off but the nose wheel pant is a PITA to remove/replace and they only add a knot or two so due to laziness, I haven't had them on for the past 2 summers.

I gotta plane to pay for.. $21K deal of the century :) Just think how awesome you'll be when you fill in that /G. :)

If they made a cowl mod for those blunt nose cherokees and you could put the post '78 pants on it, you'd gain 15 knots and make it a true contender to the newer samples. That's where the drag is on the cherokee lineup. The nose cowl and the nose gear. Owner experimental would be so good to my warrior II....

Good luck with the sale. Very attractively priced.

You just get to fly longer. :) Yeah, the nosebowl on the early Cherokee's appears to have been an afterthought, and the after market wheel pants are insanely high ( like 5Gs for a set) , especially since I'd only run them maybe 7 months out of the year.

Side comment. You Piper guys seem to get your airframes cheaper than us Cessna guys but then make it up in overpriced parts. ;) Just a trend I noticed.

Side comment. You Piper guys seem to get your airframes cheaper than us Cessna guys but then make it up in overpriced parts. ;) Just a trend I noticed.

Not really, prices for my Cessna were insanely expensive. The nice thing about the Cherokees is parts may be expensive, but there certainly aren't many of them.

I haven't found an expensive (as in airplane money, not real money ) part yet, It's a carbed O-320 and there's not much to a Cherokee. The only YGBFSM price I've seen is on the stall switch. Good salvage parts are easily obtained. Some of the landing gear stuff I think can get a little pricey, but I've not had an issue with 00W. I guess that's the price you pay for having real landing gear :D

Interesting. I know wheel pants aren't 5 AMUs on the Skylane. They're still slightly over a couple of AMUs for new ones, but 5 is a bit ridiculous.

No electric fuel pump. Only one leaky strut to worry about instead of three. ;)

It's all trade-offs. One good smack of the nosegear and I'd be buying a firewall. ;)

Interesting. I know wheel pants aren't 5 AMUs on the Skylane. They're still slightly over a couple of AMUs for new ones, but 5 is a bit ridiculous.

No electric fuel pump. Only one leaky strut to worry about instead of three. ;)

It's all trade-offs. One good smack of the nosegear and I'd be buying a firewall. ;)

5 AMU is for all three aftermarket pants and are the biggest speed boost you can give the PA28 as far as I know. The factory ones all but do nothing, maybe a knot or two on my bird and as you can see, they are not installed. There are some that are only installable by a guy named "Hangar Elph" that are exact replicas of the originals that are CHEAP.

I haven't had any issues with leaky struts for some reason, I wipe em down with hydraulic fluid every now and then because they'll stick otherwise. it's always interesting to land and then have one strut compress when you make the turn off. I just tell PAX that I didn't land hard enough. :rofl:

5 AMU is for all three aftermarket pants and are the biggest speed boost you can give the PA28 as far as I know. The factory ones all but do nothing, maybe a knot or two on my bird and as you can see, they are not installed. There are some that are only installable by a guy named "Hangar Elph" that are exact replicas of the originals that are CHEAP.

I haven't had any issues with leaky struts for some reason, I wipe em down with hydraulic fluid every now and then because they'll stick otherwise. it's always interesting to land and then have one strut compress when you make the turn off. I just tell PAX that I didn't land hard enough. :rofl:

Laminar Flow Systems seems to have a nose wheel faring (only) for $225 that they claim adds 2 to 3 mph:
http://www.laminarflowsystems.com/lfs_nose_fairing.htm

Laminar Flow Systems seems to have a nose wheel faring (only) for $225 that they claim adds 2 to 3 mph:
http://www.laminarflowsystems.com/lfs_nose_fairing.htm

Not bad I don't suppose. in Montana where snow is a threat from october to June, I just leave em off, one instant flat on landing is all you need to know what to do.

I actually was incorrect.

Mains are 4AMU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LoPresti-Pi...Parts_Gear&hash=item4aa2439828#ht_1816wt_1164

and the nose is 1.8 AMU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LoPresti-Pi..._Parts_Gear&hash=item4a8c70033e#ht_500wt_1081

5,800 bucks for three pieces of fiberglass :no:

On my Cherokee, I lost a pant (in the air) and bought a used one for about $40, if I remember right and had it painted by a guy who does cars (I did contact the FSDO and file a report, but it was over an open field). I just pulled off the other pant and he painted it to match, stripes and all.

On my Cherokee, I lost a pant (in the air) and bought a used one for about $40, if I remember right and had it painted by a guy who does cars (I did contact the FSDO and file a report, but it was over an open field). I just pulled off the other pant and he painted it to match, stripes and all.

How'd you know you lost one?

I did a walk around at the fuel stop, right before (MCC, it was there) and then flew back to my home drome (LHM) and saw it was missing. The hub fastener (name?) was also missing. I had no actual knowledge when it fell off, but I checked the runway and around the airport. The flight home was pretty much over farmland. I submitted a dropped object report (requested by the FSDO) and they said if I don't hear from them, don't worry about it and that means no one reported it. It has been two years, so I assume nothing came of it.

Just trying to spread the joy. Haven't you sold it yet? Who could turn down being able to call themselves "Double-Oh-Whiskey" anyway? :)

Just trying to spread the joy. Haven't you sold it yet? Who could turn down being able to call themselves "Double-Oh-Whiskey" anyway? :)

Have a very interested buyer. I really hate to sell it but I need 2 planes as much as I need a lobotomy.. oh wait bad analogy.

I saw the ebay listing, If this plane doesn't sell there are a bunch of pilots asleep at the Yoke out there

I saw the ebay listing, If this plane doesn't sell there are a bunch of pilots asleep at the Yoke out there

Yeah, I know who could resist "Zero Zero Whiskey, three mile left base two niner"

Congrats. I think.

I was sort of hoping he didn't buy it since the few planes I've tried to buy went , the deals went belly up and I'm now planeless... He's taking it to Nashville, his CFI agreed to finish up his IR on the way home... for free. I'm glad "HE" bought it, it'll be a good plane for him, his Cessna 150 got destroyed by a storm. he's going to keep it on the ramp for the time being :( Now I need a new to me plane. Somebody sell me a G36 Bo for 60K please :rofl:

Last edited:
looks like double o wiskey is back on the market!:)

anything you know about it now that someone else is selling it that should be looked at, anything he was to have done upon purchase???

looks like double o wiskey is back on the market!:)

anything you know about it now that someone else is selling it that should be looked at, anything he was to have done upon purchase???

No I put more money in it than I should have, looks like he replaced the head liner and installed some shoulder harnesses. It's a god cheap bird, someone looking for something on the cheap to do IFR training ought to pick her up. I flew that thing all over the PNW, BC and Alberta. He flew it directly to TN after purchasing it. It's been flown regularly for the last 5 years at least and been well maintained.

i'm at 16.300 now with a max of 16.7000- he's tried to lure me in buy lowering the reserve, a few hours left, i'm sure there will be some bidding, although there's another cherokee on there thats a bit newer and nicer looking, not sure if the last overhaul was as through "4 new melinuim cylinders" at least a future overhaul or top end will allow the use or repair of these cylinders "hopefully" and assuming that someone did an overhaul with all new cylinders they most likely expected the crank and cam to make it to tbo..

also do you know if they are crome, steel, or the other nitride or whatever it is??

i'm very new to this and just did my 150 mile x-country with instructor this weekend, i'll do it solo, this coming week if the weather holds out, i'm in new england, "ri" and flying to new hampshire

I found the following statement to be pretty funny:
Propeller is fairly new and in great shape (Approx 300hrs on it I think)

"I think". Really? You're trying to sell something and it's too much bother to look it up and confirm?

But at least it's a fixed pitch prop and it really doesn't matter.

The remainder of the ad was quite detailed.

I found the following statement to be pretty funny:

"I think". Really? You're trying to sell something and it's too much bother to look it up and confirm?

But at least it's a fixed pitch prop and it really doesn't matter.

The remainder of the ad was quite detailed.

Most of it copied from my original ad. The logbooks were 35 miles away when I put the ad up. Sorting out the "I thinks" is what pre-buys are for. I managed to sell it in a couple of weeks with the "I think" in there :D

i'm at 16.300 now with a max of 16.7000- he's tried to lure me in buy lowering the reserve, a few hours left, i'm sure there will be some bidding, although there's another cherokee on there thats a bit newer and nicer looking, not sure if the last overhaul was as through "4 new melinuim cylinders" at least a future overhaul or top end will allow the use or repair of these cylinders "hopefully" and assuming that someone did an overhaul with all new cylinders they most likely expected the crank and cam to make it to tbo..

also do you know if they are crome, steel, or the other nitride or whatever it is??

i'm very new to this and just did my 150 mile x-country with instructor this weekend, i'll do it solo, this coming week if the weather holds out, i'm in new england, "ri" and flying to new hampshire

I don't recall what cylinders are on it, they always made good compressions and never gave me any issues.

Actually going through an auction to completion and winning is a bad idea IMHO. Ike seems like a good guy, but the bids on eBay are non-biding in the aircraft department. There's no way I'm sending money to a seller on a plane site unseen without a pre-purchase contract in hand, even then, the money is going into escrow. I'd suggest finding a mechanic for pre-buy, agreeing on a price, escrow, title search and all the normal stuff. He's had it a year and a half, it was a solid ride when I had it, he looks to have spiffed it up a bit. Not sure what happened to the nose bowl. It's still a 50 year old cherokee. It's reliable and a good rig for someone to put a few hundred hours on it like myself and Ike did. I was flying it in actual IMC over the Montana rockies. Hence the new instruments and plumbing.

ok thanks for all the input, look's like the auction ended at 16,800 reserve not met, i kind of had the same feeling about the ebay thing, and putting one or both party's in a rush to make a bad decision, however it may work out to be a good lead on a decent inexpensive time builder, i own a small business and i don't get a lot of weekends with the wife and daughter to take off and go away, the small plane will be great to do day trips around new england, or the occasional overnight trip, with the business and having to drive somewere on saturday afternoon, and be back monday morning, very limited, so this would be nice to goto block island, or marthas vinyard, or anywhere between new york and new hampshire saturday afternoon, hang out all day sunday and head home sunday evening..
i'm not looking to build time for an atp career, i would like to get my instriment rating and possably a tailwheel endorcement, so that i will have a more rental options. (if i ever get a chance for a longer vacation than a weekend)lol..

thanks for the input and your time.
i'v tried to contact him after the auction end. we'll see how it goes, seems like prices are on the rise in the past 8 or 9 month's since i'v been watching.
thanks again

Back