1963 C172, $18K - scam or legit?

"engine has been run every six months"

:rofl::rofl:

On the ground?

Sounds like a legit sale of a rust bucket to me:lol:

Most folks fail to realize that simply running the engine on the ground can make it worse as acid and water are combustion byproducts that collect in the engine if it isn't operated at suffcient temps for enough time to boil out the water.

180 hp and constant speed prop. now it just needs a towhook

Well, look at it, it doesn't appear to be in bad condition. It may be one of those lost medical hangar queens. Hard to guess, but the pics don't scare me anyway. 180hp is a pretty high value add on. The radios are neutral if they both work. The likely deduct is the engine. Very high potential for needing a cam/overhaul in the near future, but at $18,000 if the airframe is clean and as represented, the price is ok.
Figure if you spend $12k doing an IRAN on the engine you're in a straight clean 180hp CS prop 172 for $30k. That ain't bad. Put another 15k in the panel and get a 750 now you have a /G IFR direct top end round gauge panel. Put another $18k and get a G-500 now you're in a top end new 180hp CS prop 172 equivalent in IFR capability, even upgrade from G-1000 SVT plus a greater useful load.

So for say $65k, you have a better more capable aircraft than a new SVT G-1000 172. What does a new G1000 172 cost? What does any G-1000 172 cost? Doesn't sound like the worst deal. People you gotta realize the value. Once you try the integrated glass especially with SVT, you can't argue against it. It is clear, for clearly communicating your situation to you, there is nothing else even close. When you're in the ugliest of ugly times, it will give you advantages that will far exceed those without.

To me I see the recent collapse of old aircraft prices to be 2 faceted. First of course was the economic collapse, that drove all prices down, but historically through economic swings, 172 and PA 28 base of the fleet aircraft values remained pretty steady around $40k through several economic cycles. The primary difference this time is that glass has been introduced. Good glass. The stuff we have been complaining about for a decade. A Decade ago, Green Mountain made the G-1000 prototype, even had a good autopilot. WAAAAA!!!!! we all cried. Well guess what, they gave it to me and hell yeah I'll take it. People think I'm nuts for putting that panel in my 310, but I had to. It's my duty in the good stewardship of GA to keep a prime copy of an aircraft up to modern system standards. It's part of what we pay forward into aviation. Even selling now if I take a bath, as long as I can suit the deal I need, I will have absolutely no regrets about putting that panel in, and I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade the next one as well but with the new 750.

Here's the thing though, if you think about it, it's a damned good value. If I wanted to buy similar new, I have to spend $1.2MM. The only thing available is the G-58 Baron. I don't need the extra seat, rarely have more than one or two. I can fully deice for a hell of a lot less. All in all, when you look at capability per $$$, upgrading avionics is a very affordable way to keep a fleet of 50 & 60 year old aircraft up to date. There will be more people who see the value of these upgrades and more solid old airframes will see upgrades in avionics. The thing is, there are some very good airframe deals out there like this one may be, that are priced low enough that if you do the upgrades, the price tag ends up around where they were before the modern generation of avionics came along. If people want to know what they can do to promote the future of aviation, buy these old girls and get them in service and up to modern standards. Invest some of your money to ensure that there will be a fleet left to buy from in 20 years. WE are the stewards of aviation. It's up to us where it goes.

The practice has been working pretty well on the B-52 fleet for a long time now.

There is nothing

Last edited:
Lots of unknowns here
How does anyome know it wasn't run and re-preserved every 6 months. that is normal routine.

Why, you could put a G-500 and a set of floats on it at that price :)

Have you ever installed a float kit in a 172?

OBTW the floats and rigging would be worth more than the aircraft.

Have you ever installed a float kit in a 172?

OBTW the floats and rigging would be worth more than the aircraft.

Yes, but they have their own market value so it doesn't affect the vaue of the deal. However for me since I really need a certified amphib is to get a Lake.

Yes, but they have their own market value so it doesn't affect the vaue of the deal. However for me since I really need a certified amphib is to get a Lake.

If you like any aircraft with no freeboard get a La-4-200, you set below the water level, and if there is much chop you are wet.

want a great MES, try the UC-3-B

http://www.seabee.info/twinbee_production.htm

but it has less freeboard than a single republic

IF that's in San Antonio, I don't recognize the hangars / tall trees.
I'm going to email them, though.

Ryan

I've encountered scams on craigslist where something is being offered at a too-good-to-be-true price. When you reply, the gist of it is putting money into an escrow service pending delivery/inspection.

I've encountered it with trucks and jet skis so far. Typically the asking price is less than half of actual value.

Run away if there is any mention of escrow, or inability to inspect prior to sending any money.

I've encountered scams on craigslist where something is being offered at a too-good-to-be-true price. When you reply, the gist of it is putting money into an escrow service pending delivery/inspection.

I've encountered it with trucks and jet skis so far. Typically the asking price is less than half of actual value.

Run away if there is any mention of escrow, or inability to inspect prior to sending any money.
Trust me. I'm no Craigslist rookie... :D

Ryan

Its a scam, this same ad has run multiple times on the Springfield Craigslist. When you email them to arrange an inspection, they want you to wire them a deposit first.

If you like any aircraft with no freeboard get a La-4-200, you set below the water level, and if there is much chop you are wet.

want a great MES, try the UC-3-B

http://www.seabee.info/twinbee_production.htm

but it has less freeboard than a single republic

My operation does not require great freeboard. The planes I really want are unaffordable at this stage. Depending on what the future brings, that may change. The LA-4 will do everything I need it to do for right now, and it will do it for the best price. I'd like a 206 or even Cherokee 6 on amphibs, but the cost is too dear.

Gee.... now I feel like an idiot. :redface:

That has GOT to be a scam. I saw that plane for sale on Craigslist in Minneapolis about a week ago and replied to it.

Never got any response back.

Back