1961 Cessna 175 project

Do someone a favor and offer about $3000 and scrap it.

He's doing the owner after him a huge favor, that sweat equity will never return in a sale. Some people just gotta fix things, it isn't always $ rational. But the world is a better place because of them.

Loving the video, really happy you got her running. Can't wait to see what you do with her.

I have a fairly long list of drive, fly, float projects behind me that I never made much on. Mostly break even. A few I made nice money on(Lambo Espada), some I lost a bit.

Generally it keeps me out of the bars and strip clubs. Once in a while I'll amaze someone with what a couple cans of wax, and some leatherique and a vacuum, maybe a bit of carpet paint will do.

I bought a really rough pair of Dynafoils(google-foo) on a trailer out in SoCal for $450. I cleaned, and stripped, and painted and polished the heck out them. I sold one to a vintage collector for $3800, and the other one to a different guy for $2500, and the trailer for $350. My total investment was around $800, and a lot of hours of tinkering.

Made a few bucks on my last Bo too, but nothing big. It was the pleasure of making something old really nice again after it had been neglected. If I were in the OPs shoes, I'd be doing almost exactly what he's doing, and I almost did that with the clunker down in Austin. May still do it if I can get the guy below $12k. Gotta buy in at the right price like this one.

p.s. I think it's illegal to transmit with either of those coffee grinder radios! lol....

He's doing the owner after him a huge favor, that sweat equity will never return in a sale. Some people just gotta fix things, it isn't always $ rational. But the world is a better place because of them.

Ah yes, Greg. You were the one earlier in this thread who referred to me as the "monkey." Thanks, man. It's good to know who your friends are on PoA. And with Pulitzer-worthy prose like that, you should write for a living.

I'm not buying it because I'm looking for something to add to the investment portfolio. I'm buying it because I enjoy it. I'm not trying to flip it, I'm trying to fly it. Capice? Perhaps in the future I will buy airplanes to flip and sell, but this is not that airplane.

I like how you say "Some people just gotta fix things," like every 40 year old 172, Cherokee, and Bonanza is out on the ramp ready to go because they never need fixing. I wonder how many of those planes with the hand-rubbed paintjobs, leather interiors, and G1000's were actually neglected heaps of s*** before someone chose to buy and spend the time and money to fix them? And what makes my airplane any less deserving of being fixed than your airplane (if you have one), or Tom's, or anyone else's?

You're in the same column as ol' Dean Downer. Negative, biased, and loaded with non-sequiturs. We're so glad you're here. :rolleyes2:

Loving the video, really happy you got her running. Can't wait to see what you do with her.

Thanks, dude. I have a decent sized squawk sheet to whittle down, but it's not really that bad since that's why I wanted to get it As for my intentions... Restore, get PPL (and beyond), do some Mexico trips, Grand Canyon, pacific NW, go to BC, Canada, etc.

I have a fairly long list of drive, fly, float projects behind me that I never made much on. Mostly break even. A few I made nice money on(Lambo Espada), some I lost a bit.

Generally it keeps me out of the bars and strip clubs. Once in a while I'll amaze someone with what a couple cans of wax, and some leatherique and a vacuum, maybe a bit of carpet paint will do.

I bought a really rough pair of Dynafoils(google-foo) on a trailer out in SoCal for $450. I cleaned, and stripped, and painted and polished the heck out them. I sold one to a vintage collector for $3800, and the other one to a different guy for $2500, and the trailer for $350. My total investment was around $800, and a lot of hours of tinkering.

Made a few bucks on my last Bo too, but nothing big. It was the pleasure of making something old really nice again after it had been neglected. If I were in the OPs shoes, I'd be doing almost exactly what he's doing, and I almost did that with the clunker down in Austin. May still do it if I can get the guy below $12k. Gotta buy in at the right price like this one.

p.s. I think it's illegal to transmit with either of those coffee grinder radios! lol....

Lol, yeah there's more crackle coming out of those radios than a bowl of rice crispies. :lol:

I wasn't calling you a monkey, I was referring to the primal resource gathering/likes shiny things decisions our brains make that are not clearly rational. We all do it, and we all judge the crap out of others for doing it when we think we would have passed.
Ah yes, Greg. You were the one earlier in this thread who referred to me as the "monkey." Thanks, man. It's good to know who your friends are on PoA. And with Pulitzer-worthy prose like that, you should write for a living.

I'm not buying it because I'm looking for something to add to the investment portfolio. I'm buying it because I enjoy it. I'm not trying to flip it, I'm trying to fly it. Capice? Perhaps in the future I will buy airplanes to flip and sell, but this is not that airplane.

I like how you say "Some people just gotta fix things," like every 40 year old 172, Cherokee, and Bonanza is out on the ramp ready to go because they never need fixing. I wonder how many of those planes with the hand-rubbed paintjobs, leather interiors, and G1000's were actually neglected heaps of s*** before someone chose to buy and spend the time and money to fix them? And what makes my airplane any less deserving of being fixed than your airplane (if you have one), or Tom's, or anyone else's?

You're in the same column as ol' Dean Downer. Negative, biased, and loaded with non-sequiturs. We're so glad you're here. :rolleyes2:

There is always a Debbie Downer out there lurking around, incapable of contributing anything positive to a discussion, except to be the first to shoot down someone's dreams and goals.

Thank you, sir for filling that role, for being that person. How does it feel to know that you're that person, to know that you're that little social statistic? :yesnod:

No, I think I shall move forward with this airplane. It has been a fulfilling experience thus far to get it running and rolling. Restorative maintenance on one's own airplane is a catharsis relatively few get to experience, and even less as the pilot of it. I'm having a great time and, all things considered, spending a relatively small amount of money doing so.

So, welcome to the discussion, Mr. Downer. We're so glad you're here... :goofy:
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or rain on your parade, but if you have the extra $$ to waste, go forward and be happy. But there comes a time when an airplane is not worth saving and needs to be recycled into beer cans. The 175 is one of those airplanes. You will never see a return on your investment.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or rain on your parade, but if you have the extra $$ to waste, go forward and be happy. But there comes a time when an airplane is not worth saving and needs to be recycled into beer cans. The 175 is one of those airplanes. You will never see a return on your investment.

That was said by my back on the first page. But you still - don't - get - it. :no:

I do get it, but what I apparently didn't get was the memo that once you have posted your opinion, no one else's matters.

Hey, go ahead keep hammering. Eventually the nail will go into the steel.

If there is one less airplane taking up space in the weeds it is a good thing. Keep us up to date on your progress, and keep those videos and pictures coming.

That old 175 is worth a lot more today than it was the first day he saw it.

How many hours have you actually flown one ?

or are you simply perpetuating the OWT's of an era long gone?

Here is one that was bought about 10 years ago for $35,000 It will haul more and go places a Maule 235 won't.

Attachments

• what is it -2.JPG
    what is it -2.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 16
  • what is it-1.JPG
    what is it-1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
  • what is it -4.JPG
    what is it -4.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 14
  • what is it -3.JPG
    what is it -3.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 15
Thanks, dude. I have a decent sized squawk sheet to whittle down, but it's not really that bad since that's why I wanted to get it As for my intentions... Restore, get PPL (and beyond), do some Mexico trips, Grand Canyon, pacific NW, go to BC, Canada, etc.

Whatever you do take pictures or video. Any plans for paint? Interior? New panel? Or are you going to leave it as close to original. Also, what's your budget for this project?

How many hours have you actually flown one ?

or are you simply perpetuating the OWT's of an era long gone?

Here is one that was bought about 10 years ago for $35,000 It will haul more and go places a Maule 235 won't.

I flew one I was shopping last fall. Only about 20 minutes. It was noisy, due to wind leaks everywhere. It climbed quite nicely, and for all other respects felt like an early 172. I do very much like the Johnson bar flaps which greatly improved the over-nose visibility in the landing.

Just curious.. Do you know its the oil pressure gauge that is not working for sure?

Hey, I kinda a like a 50/60s vintage plane that hasn't been molested by modern avionics and the like. I mean, hey, you don't see a guy pulling the am radio out of a '57 thunderbird and replacing it with a Top of the line Kenwood deck, do you? (Blasphemy)

We tend not to think of 50yo airplanes as antiques, even though they are...probably because they look so similar to the same planes rolling off the line today. If a guy wants to fix up a plane and have fun with it, go for it. You probably won't make a bucket of cash of of it, but hey, it's fun!

That said, it's not like getting a tractor to run again, so even though the engine is turning, it may still not be airworthy. Is the oil pressure gauge broken or is there no oil line pressure? Good luck with your project.

This reminds me of my hot rod build. I have a Pro Street Chevy LUV. I stuck a 410 small block I it, did all kind of up grades to her. I have a ton of money in a truck that has a blue book value of $1500. I have more then that in the heads alone. It didn't take any food off of the table for my family, I enjoyed building it and love to drive it. If it is something you enjoy then do it.

Hey, I kinda a like a 50/60s vintage plane that hasn't been molested by modern avionics and the like. I mean, hey, you don't see a guy pulling the am radio out of a '57 thunderbird and replacing it with a Top of the line Kenwood deck, do you? (Blasphemy)

My '58 182 had MK-12s (no not the digital 12D, the vacuum tube 12) in it when I got it out of the barnyard with chickens roosting on the hat rack. Put a couple of KX-170s in with their old VOR needles and such and a few new gyros and it will still pass for a late '50s Wichita Wonder.

You CAN bring the airplane into the '90s and still make it look good if you really try.

And you are right, 3 years putting that sucker back together with a new original felt headliner and cloth seats (g'bless you Airtex) and you can't really tell it from the showroom floor.

Jim

...I'm not buying it because I'm looking for something to add to the investment portfolio. I'm buying it because I enjoy it. I'm not trying to flip it, I'm trying to fly it. Capice? Perhaps in the future I will buy airplanes to flip and sell, but this is not that airplane.

:yes:

If there is one less airplane taking up space in the weeds it is a good thing. Keep us up to date on your progress, and keep those videos and pictures coming.

+1

Looks like a fun project. I've always had a soft spot for 175s.

(Even if it is a swept tail. :) )

Last edited:
go to the board and write 100 times "An airplane is a toy. Toys are not investments"

Back