1940 Air Terminal Museum

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I was recently in Houston, and amid the craziness surrounding my sister's wedding, I was able to hook up with PJ for dinner one night. After devouring some delectable smoked dead animals at Pappa's BBQ, PJ invited me to check out the 1940 Air Terminal Museum where he is a volunteer.

DSC00502.jpg

WOW was it cool! They have a ton of memorabilia, including quite a few old pilot logbooks, models of many airplanes in liveries you don't see any more, photos of the terminal the day it opened, etc.

2title.gif
30.jpg

They recently completed renovation of the first floor, and it looks as if you had stepped right into the golden age of aviation. There's even a Halsey-Taylor drinking fountain from that period that has been restored to brand-new condition.

atrium1.jpg

We also took a look around the not-yet-completed portions. The plan is for the entire terminal to be renovated literally from the ground up, all the way up to the original control tower. While the first floor and the entire atrium is the only finished part, there is a lot more to come, including a restaurant which will have outdoor seating with a GREAT view of the field, and the control tower, complete with equipment from that era! Seeing the field all lit up in the twilight with airplanes coming and going was fantastic.

In case you haven't heard (unlikely, but you never know), they are raffling off a 1956 C172 to raise more funds towards the completion of the renovation. Please consider a donation and/or purchase of a raffle ticket to help this effort (talk to PJ, t0r0nad0 here), and if you're in the Houston area, stop and check it out!

Also, they do have monthly "Wings and Wheels" fly-ins on the 3rd Saturday of every month. The perfect excuse to fly in and check it out. :yes:

And, of course, check out their web site, where I found these pictures (because I didn't have a camera on me :(): http://www.1940airterminal.org/

I had a few hours to kill in Palm Springs, CA. the other day and went to the Air Museum there. It is first class and they have so many very knowledgeable volunteers to give you the low down on all of their aircraft and all of their other items. I would highly recommend it.
Say isn't that a old square tailed 182 flying in that first picture?
Bob

Bob Bement;431149Say isn't that a old square tailed 182 flying in that first picture?[/QUOTE said:
I think that's the aforementioned 1956 172 raffle airplane. :yes:

Kent, thanks for the mention - it was great to meet up with you for dinner on my turf this time and a pleasure to show you our museum.

Yes, that first picture is the aforementioned raffle plane - a 1957 Cessna 172. We will be giving her away to one lucky winner at our Wings & Wheels event on July 18 of this year - it might as well be you! Tickets are $50 each, and since we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit, I believe that the donation is tax-deductible if you don't win the plane (IANAL, IANAA, verify the previous statement on your own). The raffle is open to all residents of the contiguous 48 states, subject to local laws an limitations. You do not have to be present to win, and all proceeds benefit the museum. More pictures are available on our website - http://www.1940airterminal.org - and in the raffle plane's Twitter feed - http://twitter.com/N7433A.

Come down and see us! There are no landing fees at Hobby (which, incidentally, is probably the most GA-friendly Class B airport in the country), and we don't charge a ramp fee if you come visit us. In fact, we waive the admission fees for our Wings & Wheels events (normally $10) for our fly-in visitors. Regular admission to the museum on non-Wings & Wheels days is only $2 for adults and $1 for children.

I had a few hours to kill in Palm Springs, CA. the other day and went to the Air Museum there. It is first class and they have so many very knowledgeable volunteers to give you the low down on all of their aircraft and all of their other items. I would highly recommend it.
Say isn't that a old square tailed 182 flying in that first picture?
Bob

I've been to that museum as well when I had some time to kill in Palm Springs - it's very cool! As is the one in Birmingham, AL.

ickets are $50 each, and since we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit, I believe that the donation is tax-deductible if you don't win the plane (IANAL, IANAA, verify the previous statement on your own). The raffle is open to all residents of the contiguous 48 states, subject to local laws an limitations. You do not have to be present to win, and all proceeds benefit the museum. More pictures are available on our website - http://www.1940airterminal.org - and in the raffle plane's Twitter feed - http://twitter.com/N7433A.
I'm not a lawyer or accountant either, but I'd be real cautious about deducting the cost of a sweepstakes or raffle ticket. From IRS pub 526, Charitable Contributions:
Contributions From Which You Benefit

If you receive or expect to receive a financial or economic benefit as a result of making a contribution to a qualified organization, you cannot deduct the part of the contribution that represents the value of the benefit you receive. See Contributions From Which You Benefit under Contributions You Can Deduct, earlier. These contributions include the following.[...]

• Costs of raffles, bingo, lottery, etc. You cannot deduct as a charitable contribution amounts you pay to buy raffle or lottery tickets or to play bingo or other games of chance. For information on how to report gambling winnings and losses, see Deductions Not Subject to the 2% Limit in Publication 529.
But don't let the lack of a tax deduction dissuade you from purchasing the winning ticket!:wink2:

PJ, See ya in Austin tomorrw... eh, today!

I'll be the one walking into Atlantic for raw coffee beans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pictures. My mother tells me of her flights on DC-3s and DC-6 and 7s. I have books about these airplanes and I just stare at the pictures like a moron. If I had the money . . . .

I've been in that building - back when it was a GA terminal... late 1980's.

Beautiful pictures. My mother tells me of her flights on DC-3s and DC-6 and 7s. I have books about these airplanes and I just stare at the pictures like a moron. If I had the money . . . .

Not a moron Ben, just one of us.

Not a moron Ben, just one of us.

Exactly. And a key reason that I like staying at the Renaissance Heathrow (and the Ren LAX, for that matter). The view from the respective concierge lounges is of the runways....

Yeah, Bill its a disease. Upon landing Thursday at Pottstown Muni, I flew right over a new housing development at the end of runway 26. As I was on final, I thought jeez, that would be a cool place to live. You can watch airplanes land right over you. However, I am sure some of the home owners there are cursing "those little planes". Different perspective, huh?

Just as in my nieghborhood, 1.5 miles from the end of SeaTac's runway, many of my nieghbors have 'No third runway" bumperstickers, I have a " I love airplane noise" one. DaveR

Back